Why become a member? ×

High End Cables

Yank

One thing I do like about the Fender cloth covered one that someone bought for me and I've been using for several trouble free years is that because of the covering it naturally 'wants' to curl in a way when it's being put away that makes it very difficult to twist or create hairpin bends in yet it unfolds and doesnt create loops when in use. I'm sure this has contributed to its longevity.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1510141329' post='3404214']
Surely we're all ready by now to move on to Straight Leads -v- Curly Leads?

Then we can digress into Plain Black -v- Coloured -v- DayGlo ...
[/quote]

The big issue is straight or right-angled plugs. We need to sort that regardless of where your socket is located. (unless you have one of those silly angled on the front jacks)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1510145554' post='3404247']
..... that kind of money would be better spent with OBBM!

[/quote]

The mop-tops would be real nowhere men, without OBBM cables.

[url="http://www.gloriousnoise.com/images/beatles-overhead-view.jpg"]http://www.gloriousn...erhead-view.jpg[/url]

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1510145674' post='3404249']
The big issue is straight or right-angled plugs...
[/quote]

Always a right-angled plug into the bass, regardless of whether it's a top or side socket. But I always thread the cable between bass body and strap, force of habit I suppose. The other end can be straight or angled, depending on what's best for the amp.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='nilebodgers' timestamp='1510052507' post='3403491']
Plus several to that. The only trick is to remember that most of the dedicated instrument cables have a semi-conducting sleeve (usually black) around the inner conductor insulation (this cuts down on cable handling noise when it is flexed).

That black sleeve needs to be cut back at the ends or the cable will attenuate the signal as it will have a signal-to-ground resistance of a few kohms if it touches the inner conductor. I have seen someone make that mistake!
[/quote]

News to me, but then I freely admit to being uninformed on such things. Can you elaborate please, or post a link to youtube or something?

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1510147582' post='3404274']
News to me, but then I freely admit to being uninformed on such things. Can you elaborate please, or post a link to youtube or something?
[/quote]
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71Rvwqi98lL._SX466_.jpg

I have a mate who used to use Monster cables, he liked them but I think he made more of a fuss about them because he realised he paid a stupid amount for a cable and needed to justify it to himself.

I have OBBM cables, superb in every way, for my instrument cables I have had the last two from Design-a-cable because they offer more coloured cables. They have lasted me about 6 years so far and still look good and work perfectly, which is more than I can say for friends who use planet waves cables!

For my next cables I think i am going to give Bedford Audio - www.bedfordaudio.co a go, nice looking kit and they do lots of colour options too (I gave up on black cables years ago, get a bright colour and noone can accidentally walk off with your nice guitar leads)

Copied and pasted from a post of mine from 2010:

Funnily enough fellow basschatter davemuadib and I spent a geeky afternoon A/Bing cables back to back. We did obbm, (klotz) monster bass, elixir, zaolla, generic cheapo and hotlines. Long story short monster had a VERY obvious, pronounced low mid hump which made em sound deeper and punchier but at the expense of top end sparkle and clarity. Zaolla sounded superb, very neutral and open but with depth and solidity. Obbm sounded very similar to the zaolla, slightly less zingy and airy but very close nonetheless. Just not quite as 'expensive' sounding. The elixir was also good and very flat sounding but a tad uninteresting. The hotlines (old academy of sound cables) were still great I remembered why I liked em. Very punchy and forward sounding, a bit like a loudness button going in.
The zaolla, monster and elixir were thicker and the zaolla felt the best made. The hotlines and obbm cables felt lighter and thinner.
Since doing the test I've retired my monster cables to back ups and bought all obbm's which I'm very pleased with. The transparency goes well with the berg cabs and they are cheaper than zaolla!
I still rate monster and never had any issues with them. People that say there are no differences between cables should def spend an afternoon doing some A/B listening to a few brands. It's pretty big differences in some cases, less in others. The biggest difference was the monsters bass boost/(treble cut) to my ears. Maybe Dave will chip in ?
But the differences are there for all to hear! Simply no doubt about that. But onstage with all the rest of the band going ? Well there lies the real debate ;-)
I just like to know my stuff sounds good and is reliable. :-D
Edited by gafbass02, 24 October 2010 - 05:26 PM.

Edited by gafbass02

[quote name='gafbass02' timestamp='1510154326' post='3404336']

Funnily enough fellow basschatter davemuadib and I spent a geeky afternoon A/Bing cables back to back. We did obbm, (klotz) monster bass, elixir, zaolla, generic cheapo and hotlines. Long story short monster had a VERY obvious, pronounced low mid hump which made em sound deeper and punchier but at the expense of top end sparkle and clarity. Zaolla sounded superb, very neutral and open but with depth and solidity. Obbm sounded very similar to the zaolla, slightly less zingy and airy but very close nonetheless. Just not quite as 'expensive' sounding. The elixir was also good and very flat sounding but a tad uninteresting. The hotlines (old academy of sound cables) were still great I remembered why I liked em. Very punchy and forward sounding, a bit like a loudness button going in.
The zaolla, monster and elixir were thicker and the zaolla felt the best made. The hotlines and obbm cables felt lighter and thinner.
Since doing the test I've retired my monster cables to back ups and bought all obbm's which I'm very pleased with. The transparency goes well with the berg cabs and they are cheaper than zaolla!
I still rate monster and never had any issues with them. People that say there are no differences between cables should def spend an afternoon doing some A/B listening to a few brands. It's pretty big differences in some cases, less in others. The biggest difference was the monsters bass boost/(treble cut) to my ears. Maybe Dave will chip in ?
But the differences are there for all to hear! Simply no doubt about that. But onstage with all the rest of the band going ? Well there lies the real debate ;-)
[/quote]

A high capacitance cable can give a hump. If forms a resonant circuit with the inductance of the pickup (that's my guess), so you get a peak response just before the cut-off frequency formed by the pickup and pot resistance & tone cap. I think guitar players may try to achieve this? The length may be critical, else the hump falls above the cut off, if the capacitance is low, which probably does not happen with a guitar. A passive bass tends to roll of at a few kHz., guitar much higher.

Think I need a OBBM right angle both ends (they seem to be like hen's teeth) , so I don't bust another plastic socket on the amp. Klotz is good stuff.

[quote name='gafbass02' timestamp='1510154326' post='3404336']

[/quote]

Was it April 1st 2010? :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1510146806' post='3404265'] Always a right-angled plug into the bass, regardless of whether it's a top or side socket. But I always thread the cable between bass body and strap, force of habit I suppose. The other end can be straight or angled, depending on what's best for the amp. [/quote]
Straight is best for my Ibby, as the socket is diagonal in to the body.