Why become a member? ×

Think I've found my favourite song.

Twincam

I never thought I would have a favourite song, but to me, I heard it through the grapevine ticks all the boxes.
It combines my fav bass player, the fantastic James Jamerson (as we all know) and my equal favourite male vocalist Marvin Gaye (who draws with Stuart Adamson as my equal favs).
I think the lyrics are really good, while not being over the top. They potray a good story and it really speaks to me. And of course you have one of the finest singers ever in Marvin Gaye.
The whole arrangement from start to finish really does it for me.
Of course not forgetting the cracking bass throughout. While I don't have the capacity to go through the ins and outs of it, but it sounds great and it's one of those that's much harder to play than initially thought.
Fantastic tune!

Ps I'm knackered as I type but hopefully that all makes sense

Edited by Twincam

Good choice. Grapevine has always been one of my Desert Island Discs.

As is Spoonful by Howlin Wolf and Reeling In The Years, which I heard for the first time in a limo rolling down the freeway from LAX to Sunset Strip. Hearing real music on a daytime radio station for the first time. That was early 1973.

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1510057493' post='3403573']
Always liked the version by Gladys Night as well. Although a different vibe and feel from the Marvin Gaye version, it has a terrific, funky Bassline.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQRcUxNJEbs[/media]
[/quote]

Love the Gladys version too. This was actually recorded first, predating Marvin's version by a year or so.
But which one is best?.........FIGHT!..................

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1510057493' post='3403573']
Always liked the version by Gladys Night as well. Although a different vibe and feel from the Marvin Gaye version, it has a terrific, funky Bassline.
[/quote]

Analysed here [url="http://www.jamersonanalysed.co.uk/2013/11/i-heard-it-through-grapevine-gladys.html"]http://www.jamersona...ine-gladys.html[/url]

[quote name='mr zed' timestamp='1510079715' post='3403843']
I like the FM version.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qsdhd7SJ3TA[/media]
[/quote]

Me too - we used to do that version of it :-)
You can really dig into the bass line and i love the lead break on it..

Edited by Mudpup

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1510013050' post='3403315']
I never thought I would have a favourite song, but to me, I heard it through the grapevine ticks all the boxes.
It combines my fav bass player, the fantastic James Jamerson (as we all know) and my equal favourite male vocalist Marvin Gaye (who draws with Stuart Adamson as my equal favs).
I think the lyrics are really good, while not being over the top. They potray a good story and it really speaks to me. And of course you have one of the finest singers ever in Marvin Gaye.
The whole arrangement from start to finish really does it for me.
Of course not forgetting the cracking bass throughout. While I don't have the capacity to go through the ins and outs of it, but it sounds great and it's one of those that's much harder to play than initially thought.
Fantastic tune!

Ps I'm knackered as I type but hopefully that all makes sense
[/quote]

James Jamerson was the reason I wanted to learn Bass....his Basslines are so melodic....i am also a big fan of Tommy Cogbill, Jerry Jemmott, Bob Babbitt, Duck Dunn, Goerge Porter, Willie Weeks ect.

Edited by thebigyin