Why become a member? ×

Line 6 LowDown 300

simon1964

Has anyone played through one of these? The spec looks quite useful, but does it sound as good as it looks? I'm looking for something that will give a bit of versatility for small gigs without having to cart loads of effects around. On paper the LD300 looks as though it fits the bill, but I'd be interested to hear from soemone who's lived with one.

[quote name='simon1964' post='33503' date='Jul 18 2007, 11:40 AM']Has anyone played through one of these? The spec looks quite useful, but does it sound as good as it looks? I'm looking for something that will give a bit of versatility for small gigs without having to cart loads of effects around. On paper the LD300 looks as though it fits the bill, but I'd be interested to hear from soemone who's lived with one.[/quote]

Howdy!

I rate the Lowdown's quite highly. They're good, flexible combos with plenty of punch and power for a reasonable amount of cash. The Line 6 fella's have done a great job with the sounds and whilst they're not on exactly on the nail with a couple of the emulations in my humble opinion, they're great alternatives where dragging along a PROII and an 810E isn't physically possible!

I've used the 300 and 175 quite a lot and also have one of the excellent Studio 110s at home as a practice amp.

HTH
T

Played a 150 in Sound Control in MK, clean sounded OK but when I switched to Grind? really bad hiss and back ground noise, dont know if that's the norm. Would really like to hear about the 300 and if it could cope with a loud rock band, Is there a head in the offing??

It would deffinatly cope. plenty loud enough. But i think there was a thread back on BW, And the general consensus seemed to be that they all just sounded very hollow. Not even compared to the amps they are trying to mimic, just in general!
However, as per usual, yer best bets to go try one and make your own mind up.

however, Fact - the synth is gash.

Cool little amp. Worth it just for the SVT model and the nice built-in delays. The synth, as mentioned before, is rather toilet, the distortion model is fairly useless and some of the tones have a tendency towards muddiness. Other than that, they're bloody good, and not bad value either. I wish they'd do it in a head/cabs configuration.

I came about this close -> <- to replacing my rig with an LD300. I've got the Studio as a practice amp and love it to bits. I don't tend to use anything but the 'Rock' SVT patch, but I also really like the 'Clean' Eden sound they've put in there. I didn't replace my rig in the end because I really like the sound of my Hartke aluminium speakers and I can't replicate that with this combo. Line 6 are doing a promo this month with Line 6 gear too. I've posted the details and Luke has kindly made it a sticky at the top of this forum.

Tried one a few months back at Curlys in Liverpool. Very loud, solid (but very heavy). Seemed to be let down by the speaker, in terms of tone. I think the better option is getting a pod, cheap power amp and a "hi-fi"cab. Would work out more expensive of course.

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='34493' date='Jul 20 2007, 10:15 AM']They don't have delay though do they?[/quote]

Yep, they do - it's on the effects knob (about the first quarter turn is delay and reverb). The knob also gives you chorus and flanger. I think you've got more options (combining effects, etc) if you get the FBV pedalboard.

[quote name='Russ' post='34652' date='Jul 20 2007, 02:07 PM']Yep, they do - it's on the effects knob (about the first quarter turn is delay and reverb). The knob also gives you chorus and flanger. I think you've got more options (combining effects, etc) if you get the FBV pedalboard.[/quote]

Why is it never mentioned in the specs? I also read a review saying that he wished it had delay, very confusing.

"5 Essential Bass Effects: Synth, Compressor, Envelope Filter, Octaver, and Chorus"

Can't see it on here either....

[url="http://cachepe.samedaymusic.com/media/quality,85/brand,sameday/4viewHiRez-ae7f153036038afa1423adae8f6f9d9e.jpg"]http://cachepe.samedaymusic.com/media/qual...dae8f6f9d9e.jpg[/url]

If there was a delay I'd be even more interested.

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='34964' date='Jul 20 2007, 09:38 PM']Why is it never mentioned in the specs? I also read a review saying that he wished it had delay, very confusing.

"5 Essential Bass Effects: Synth, Compressor, Envelope Filter, Octaver, and Chorus"

Can't see it on here either....

[url="http://cachepe.samedaymusic.com/media/quality,85/brand,sameday/4viewHiRez-ae7f153036038afa1423adae8f6f9d9e.jpg"]http://cachepe.samedaymusic.com/media/qual...dae8f6f9d9e.jpg[/url]

If there was a delay I'd be even more interested.[/quote]

Hmmm.... just took a look at the Line6 site and you're right... I swear the one I played had delay and reverb on it. Maybe they've updated it - the one I played didn't have the envelope filter or octaver, it had the same effects as the Spider II guitar amp.

• 2 months later...