Why become a member? ×

Kickass or Babicz bridge

Tvrtastic

I’m popping into Bassdirect at the weekend to pick up a new bridge for my Sire V7 (Alder).

But after weeks of reading forums and comments I’m still undecided on either a Hipshot Kickass or Babicz FCH. I’m thinking that I’ll decide on the day when I get them in my hands to compare.

Anybody got anything that may help sway or influence my decision?

Thanks

I had the Babicz on an old P Bass of mine. It’s a great piece of kit, but the slightly too “modern” look kinda bothered me on that particular bass. It worked perfectly well and it made the bass sound great too.

I just replaced the original bridge on one of my current P Basses with a Kickass. Now... I’m impressed. It’s just beautiful to look at, for starts. And when you set it up you can appreciate the beautiful piece of precision engineering it is. Using the provided Allen key to raise the saddles and adjust the action actually put a smile on my face. I love the way the bass just feels more solid and stable with this bridge. You can tell the intonation will never need to be adjusted. It makes the bass sound great too.

I’ll put this way: The Babicz is like a modern Honda. Nicely engineered and will never let you down. But looks a bit unsexy and a bit like a spaceship. The Kickass, to me, feels like an Aston Martin. I just love it. Get the Kickass!

[quote name='Tvrtastic' timestamp='1510069285' post='3403722']
So you did not swap for any tone reason? No decernable difference?
[/quote]

Well... They were different basses, with different strings and 4 or 5 years apart. I wouldn’t be able to tell you the difference in tone exactly. I feel both bridges improve the tone when compared to the original Fender BBOT bridge. Mainly because of how more evenly the strings vibrate and the improved overall stability.

I don’t think anyone could really tell them apart in terms of tone to be honest. They’re both excellent at improving string vibration and intonation stability, but I just happpen to prefer the Kickass.

If you can, try to open the package and hold both bridges in your hand. Try to adjust the saddles in both and you’ll see what I mean about the Kickass been more refined, with a more premium feel. Besides... It’s way easier to adjust the Kickass as it’s just like a normal bridge that’s properly engineered and put together. The Babicz has a unique cilinder saddle kinda system that’s a bit fiddlier to adjust.

Edited by eddiehoffmann

Thanks for the good advice. I’m a big fan of engineering and quality so if one looks better engineered and made than the other then again it would be a major factor in my decision.

I was a little consurned about the lighter weight of the Babicz as unlike some people do not crave a lightweight bass but do like balance. I just fitted some unfortunately hefty shaller M4S tuners and although there’s no neck dive yet it would not do any harm to put a little weight into the bridge.

I've got a Babicz on my Squier VM70s.

It's a brilliant bit of engineering, easy and fast to set the intonation and the action and is absolutely solid as a rock. It has no sharp edges so palm muting is a very comfortable experience.

In terms of tone or sustain I honestly couldn't tell the difference between the Babicz and the BBOT it replaced.

One thing to bear in mind, the Kickass is an old school high mass bridge,whereas the Babicz is built from light weight aluminium and weighs pretty much the same as a BBOT, so if you want the classic high mass mod, the Kich Ass is probably the way to go.

Edit.

One more thing, I bought my Babicz, mail order, from Bass Direct and initially they sent the bridge without the screws. No big deal, they sent the screws immediately after I informed them, and I'm not sure if the mistake was BD's or a packaging problem with the manufacturer.

Either way I'd check your new bridge has all the bits with it before leaving the shop.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 1

As posted elsewhere, I went with the Kickass on my old Aria Primary...it's a wonderful bit of kit.

I don't have any issues with Babicz at all, I mean by this that I like their Gibson three-pointer replacement, but their designs always look a little unnecessarily over-engineered and I don't feel their products extend to more traditional shaped instruments. While the Babicz Z-series would have done the job admirably, I just thought the KickAss looked better suited for a P (or J) style bass.

If you do decide on the KickAss, ahead of the curve give consideration as to whether you want brass or steel saddles (the brass, apparently, gives a warmer tone, but it's pretty zingy irrespective).

I have a Babicz bridge on an Epiphone Thunderbird (the through neck, Gibson pick up one) and it's excellent. The EB4 I bought recently comes fitted with a Babicz as standard, and again, it is an excellent piece of kit.

I'm happy with the stock bridges on my Fenders, though, not sure it is worth the time and money involved in changing them for the difference it might make.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1510163475' post='3404415']
I have a Babicz bridge on an Epiphone Thunderbird (the through neck, Gibson pick up one) and it's excellent. The EB4 I bought recently comes fitted with a Babicz as standard, and again, it is an excellent piece of kit.

I'm happy with the stock bridges on my Fenders, though, not sure it is worth the time and money involved in changing them for the difference it might make.
[/quote]

As I said before, I can't tell any tonal differences between high mass, babiczs or BBOTs.

Having said that I do like my bridges to be rock solid, with no saddle movement, so I'd probably change out a BBOT on any bass I bought.

Edited by Cato

I've had both... neither suited my RW P, I got OCD and put the threaded-barrel vintage-style BBOT back on. HOWEVER... The Babicz is a finely-engineered device and very impressive. I like the way the saddles are always in contact with the bass plate via the cam mechanism and you can fully lock the thing up after adjustment - in effect it becomes one piece of metal, like the earlier Spector bridges. Rock solid and very cool. Well-machined, works brilliantly and feels very smooth when palm muting. And you can buy a Fender-fit 5-hole version.

The Kickass is also well engineered, more or less to the same standard as the Babicz... maybe just a little less. But, unlike the Babicz, contact is lost between saddle and baseplate when you raise the saddles. It is also smooth and comfortable for palm muting and importantly, it really looks the business.

If I were choosing between them on purely functional and technical considerations, it would be the Babicz all day long. BUT... I don't think the Babicz looks as good as the Kickass when fitted to a Fender bass. So I'd choose the Kickass. In fact, I have just acquired one and it is going on my new Jazz build.

As far as 'tone', 'sustain', 'heft' and any other 'positives' of 'upgrading' your bridge are concerned: In my view, there is very little difference between the Babicz, the Kickass OR the BBOT. In fact I'd give it to the BBOT, by a nose. In my view you only need to change a bridge for aesthetic reasons, OR because your current bridge is uncomfortable in use, OR because you want more positive adjustment.

The Kickass looks very good on a Jazz Bass. Less so on a P Bass. The Babicz doesn't look as good on either. In short, I'd choose the Kickass - even though I think the Babicz is a better bridge. The Kickass would look very good on a Sire V7.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1510160248' post='3404385']
...give consideration as to whether you want brass or steel saddles (the brass, apparently, gives a warmer tone, but it's pretty zingy irrespective).
[/quote]

Everyone seems to think that brass gives a warmer tone, but I find the opposite to be true. I may be in a majority of one, here...

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1510178295' post='3404543']
Everyone seems to think that brass gives a warmer tone, but I find the opposite to be true. I may be in a majority of one, here...
[/quote]

I used that old Aria at a rehearsal last night...the bass is very bright tonally already. God knows what it would sound like with steel saddles.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1510180683' post='3404563']
I used that old Aria at a rehearsal last night...the bass is very bright tonally already. God knows what it would sound like with steel saddles.
[/quote]

Less bright, I reckon. Most saddles are steel... aren't they?

I recently replaced a very old Badass 2 on my JV Jazz with a Hipshot Kickass and i'm very happy! it has the same look, albeit the saddles look more modern and sturdy. it has fantastic adjustability, and it definitely adds presence and depth to the tone (IMO). it actually improves the look as the ball ends are recessed into the tailpeice, it is a heavy bridge though an adds significantly to the weight.
I also have a Fender Nate Mendel P that has been modded with a BBOT bridge and has flats, as i'm going to be changing to rounds on this bass, i'm seriously considering putting a kickass on this too. I have always felt that a badass didn't look as good on a P bass, but the Kickass/badass design is a fairly classic look these days, and i definitely think a better bridge improves the tone :)

bit sick i missed this!, i,ve had a wanted ad up for a couple of weeks too, it does look nice on a P actually :)

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/314782-sold-hipshot-kickass-4-string-bridge-chrome/

Edited by lee650

On 17/11/2017 at 21:18, eddiehoffmann said:

What did you get in the end? 

I was going to update with pics when fitted :-) 

but as I’ve actually just his week upgradedthe bridge pickup I think I’ll just get used to the new sound of that until I fit my new bridge. 

I went for the Kickass in the end.

TBH seem the safest option. Certainly looks great and I like the option of being able to change saddles easy. Also as my Kent Armstrong humbucker (neck) has Allen key poles rather than bars it is really fussy about string spacing. Kickass will garentee this I think. 

Thanks for everyone’s advice, I’mm sure that it  steered me in the right direction. 

I’ll post picks when fitted. 

Edited by Tvrtastic
Spelling

Well the Kickass is fitted and looking great. 

Has it changed the sound of the Sire?  Yes.  

I purposely kept the old strings on bass while I was fitting and setting it up to try to keep changes to a minimum for comparison.   

I know that there is always a placebo effect but to me there is a big sound difference. Neck pickup is notacibly punchier and defined. TBH initially I did not like it. Thought i’d lost the nice warm tone of the Kend Armstrong handwound. But I soon realised that I just needed to roll off the treble (not currently using the a Sire preamp atm) to get it back to being warm. I also softened my playing a bit as perhaps I was over plucking due to the more solid mounting of the strings. 

Not so sure about bridge pup sound as it’s only a few days old to me and the sounds still have not settled in my brain, bit it’s really cutting and ‘honky’  

It’s got new strings on it now and a full fret polish so it’s all zingy and sparkly.  Not much left on the Sire that I could or would want to change now. Apart from maybe taking a large file to the headstock and making it less bloody ugly.  ;-)   Think I could get it looking like a Tele Bass headstock?    

14892F94-CBE4-4652-BC41-226E270F5774.png

2 minutes ago, Tvrtastic said:

Well the Kickass is fitted and looking great. 

Has it changed the sound of the Sire?  Yes.  

I purposely kept the old strings on bass while I was fitting and setting it up to try to keep changes to a minimum for comparison.   

I know that there is always a placebo effect but to me there is a big sound difference. Neck pickup is notacibly punchier and defined. TBH initially I did not like it. Thought i’d lost the nice warm tone of the Kend Armstrong handwound. But I soon realised that I just needed to roll off the treble (not currently using the a Sire preamp atm) to get it back to being warm. I also softened my playing a bit as perhaps I was over plucking due to the more solid mounting of the strings. 

Not so sure about bridge pup sound as it’s only a few days old to me and the sounds still have not settled in my brain, bit it’s really cutting and ‘honky’  

It’s got new strings on it now and a full fret polish so it’s all zingy and sparkly.  Not much left on the Sire that I could or would want to change now. Apart from maybe taking a large file to the headstock and making it less bloody ugly.  ;-)   Think I could get it looking like a Tele Bass headstock?    

14892F94-CBE4-4652-BC41-226E270F5774.png

Off topic, are pickups on the Sire standard fender size and easy to replace, or did you have rout the bridge cavity for the new pickup?

7 minutes ago, Cato said:

Off topic, are pickups on the Sire standard fender size and easy to replace, or did you have rout the bridge cavity for the new pickup?

Had to route out for the humbucker and I had a new scratch plate made as I wanted the option to go back to orginal jazz pickup if humbucker did not sound right. Humbucker is actually a Kent Armstrong pup I bought in the 80’s that I previously had in a homemade bass!  

But as it was the humbucker shone so much that I had to replace the bridge sire pickup as it was just not cutting it against the KA pup. 

Is the KA jazz / Sire pup standard Fender size? ‘Probably’. I sent Kent the dimensions so it could have need made to order for me but I somehow doubt it and I think that we both just got lucky. Talkbass has people who seem to have put Nordstrang pups in V7s without any drama. 

Orginal Site pups were fine but never quite made the sound that I wanted. Yes I bought a Marcus Miller bass, but I don’t want to sound like Marcus Miller. ;-). 

E363DDC4-B93F-4B36-8060-F2385171301C.jpeg

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Tvrtastic said:

Had to route out for the humbucker and I had a new scratch plate made as I wanted the option to go back to orginal jazz pickup if humbucker did not sound right. Humbucker is actually a Kent Armstrong pup I bought in the 80’s that I previously had in a homemade bass!  

But as it was the humbucker shone so much that I had to replace the bridge sire pickup as it was just not cutting it against the KA pup. 

Is the KA jazz / Sire pup standard Fender size? ‘Probably’. I sent Kent the dimensions so it could have need made to order for me but I somehow doubt it and I think that we both just got lucky. Talkbass has people who seem to have put Nordstrang pups in V7s without any drama. 

Orginal Site pups were fine but never quite made the sound that I wanted. Yes I bought a Marcus Miller bass, but I don’t want to sound like Marcus Miller. ;-). 

E363DDC4-B93F-4B36-8060-F2385171301C.jpeg

Cheers, Im thinking of getting a V7 fretless, but i 'm a bit of a tinkerer so might try swapping out the pickups.