Why become a member? ×

First proper paid gig....lessons learnt

DorsetBlue

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1510058242' post='3403578']
It's definitely horses for courses, methinks. :)
[/quote]

It is. What did for me in the end was the 'act', i.e. the audience participation stuff, the false bonhomie and everything else necessary to 'work the room'. Lost the will to live in the end. I do miss the money, though. A proper pro function band is one of the few possible ways you can make a good living from music.

Edited by discreet

A slick operation can make functions much easier and learning things like putting guitars and sticks away after sound check make things a lot better, another plus of the digital desk is being able to mute all the outputs on the iPad leaving nothing for guests to turn up or down to do there typical bit on the Mic, Loses all its fun if the pa is off.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1510061234' post='3403619']
...putting guitars and sticks away after sound check, mute all the outputs on the iPad leaving nothing for guests to turn up or down...
[/quote]

Our PA Guy/Roadie/Manager always stayed in the room and kept an eye on everything. It was basically an excuse to gurn at scantily-clad young women. 'I'm just looking after the band's stuff' he would leer, disturbingly. Thank God that sort of thing doesn't happen any more. :mellow:

Ive always treated doing a party or wedding gig as day at work (which is what it is). In fact i earn 2-3 times minimum what a normal day at work will get me. My day job is 8.45 hours long, so i dont think spending the same time on the clock at a gig (and earning a lot more than my day job) is anything to complain about. It can of course be boring but you prepare for that after you've played a few.
We have got to play in some really nice venues, and meet a lot of really nice people. Of course its not for everyone, but i get the feeling its less of an attraction to the bar band players who are used to turning up 30mnis before going on and then packing down and out 30 mins after playing. For functions you have to be prepared to make more effort. I guess that's why function bands can ask for a lot more money.

I have a well-stocked Kindle. Get yourselves organised make sure the person running things knows exactly what you have been hired to do and look after yourselves.

Last one I did paid 200 a man & we wound up playing 2 spots an hour each. Not too shabby & I was at home by 11:00PM

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1510056284' post='3403558']
This thread is an interesting read to me. I play a lot of weddings/functions etc, and I find them easy. Yes of course they're more structured, there's more waiting around, and you have to deal with some strange requests and people trying hard to organise everything to within an inch of it's life.
But really, it's simply about knowing how to deal with those things:

[b]Songs: [/b]If you market yourself as a band with a specific set-list, then it makes song requests easy to decline. Typically a client will have seen you play elsewhere and so book you for how you sound/the songs in the list. We don't offer any song requests (unless we already know them) other than learning a first dance.
Easiest way to deal with a song request whilst you're playing so they don't continue to hassle you whilst you're vamping around an intro? Say "Yes sure, it's coming up later". They'll forget and/or be too drunk to remember. Or "We've already played it". Best one we had was "can you play sweet home alabama"......whilst we were playing sweet home alabama.

[b]Waiting around: [/b]You're somewhere with your instrument, and hopefully a relatively quiet room, get practicing, take a walk, talk to your band members....you're still getting paid.

[b]Versatile:[/b] It's easy to be versatile. "Oh can you play a little later and not have a break?" Fine by me, prefer it actually, really get into the groove over two hours. Some singers need to pace themselves in these situations, but I'd argue if they can't do it, they probably aren't match fit, or the keys are wrong. Weirdest one we did was a function in a terminal at Heathrow, some marathon they run on the runway. It was like 3-4 songs every 20mins over the course of 3 hours or so. Very odd, but fun, and got to chat to some interesting people, eat free food/drink and hang out in a closed airport with 400 runners. Getting through Security was a bit of a ball-ache, but whatever, there are worse things.

[b]Standard requests:[/b] "Can my son/daughter/wife/dog/boss play your drum kit" No....'it's an insurance thing', no guests on stage/playing instruments etc etc. Just a case of being firm.
The most prevalent request we have is "oh let me wear your hat".....because people apparently never see hats in real life. Answer: "Sure, it really smells though, maybe don't smell it, needs a wash"....they'll forget about it pretty quick in most cases, and if not, good luck to them.

To me, most of the above are basically the same as pub gig requests!!

'Possible hassle' seems like an odd reason to give up a gig that is likely paying you £150-£250. If you consider that you're playing for free (because it's fun and helps you improve) and realise that you're being paid £41 an hour (£250 over 6 hours) in some cases (more or less is possible) for lifting some gear/listening to people talk at you/eating free food.....you start to realise it's not too bad. I mean whatever works for you, if you want to play £50 in pubs, absolutely fine, but if you can get them, I consider weddings functions easy wins. There's the odd total dud, but I think I've probably had two or three in around 10 years.

Si
[/quote]

This all day long. If it's a slick operation it's a decent-paying doddle. If it's not something you enjoy, it's not for you aye.

Guest bassman7755

In a function band you will also often be travelling further and leaving later so arriving home at 2 or 3 am is common place. IME generally parties and other functions where generally OK, weddings usually the worst.
Pub gigs are generally way more fun but nothing beats a good tribute gig - its about as close to the "real thing" you can get as weekend warrior.

[quote name='gelfin' timestamp='1510008833' post='3403286']
No one seems to have mentioned how often wedding partys fall into disarray and drunken arguments and fights break out.

The best / worse one was when the best man got up to speak handed an album to the bride full of photos of the groom
in uncompromising positions with various other females that he had been with very recently.

I have never seen anything like what ensued.
[/quote]

Sounds like an episode of East Enders! I appreciate the dramatic effect of waiting for the chance to grab a mic but he's allowed them to legally marry and go through the whole charade.

Sorry, to make this bass related... The best mam sounds like a total lead guitarist.

[quote name='musicbassman' timestamp='1509993631' post='3403126']
Golden rule for weddings - ALWAYS hide the drumsticks, as there'll always be someone who wants to come on stage and show off while the band's taking a break, especially after a few beers.
[/quote]

Hide the stool too!

I've genuinely seen very very few drunken fights/arguments/fallouts at the many many weddings i've played, but nothing serious.
The only bad one was a genuine fist fight between the father of the groom and an uncle (i think) of the bride. Basically, the father had gotten out of prison two weeks before, tried to organise a bunch of stuff for the evening that flew in the face of the plans that everyone else had made, he didn't like getting shut down on the night, so took it out on the person who confronted him.
Weirdly, no-one seemed particularly perturbed by it, bride, groom etc. They shoved them both in different taxis and got on with it. Clearly they both had form. We all watched it whilst helping ourselves to the buffet, was quite funny as a neutral :P

Si

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1510068495' post='3403707']
I have a well-stocked Kindle. Get yourselves organised make sure the person running things knows exactly what you have been hired to do and look after yourselves.

Last one I did paid 200 a man & we wound up playing 2 spots an hour each. Not too shabby & I was at home by 11:00PM
[/quote]
About right
Many of the posts on this thread have been spot on

My survival guide for weddings/functions;
* Get along sociably with the band but let people zone out on their own if they need to - everyone is different. Especially on tour (eg tribute bands) - some people drink until 3am after a show, some go to bed at 11/midnight and get up early to go for a run - just let people do what they do.
* One person near gear at all times - rotate on different gigs/sets/etc as needed
* Get clear agreement about what you're doing - but be flexible - weddings are nearly always late so if you're expecting to finish at 11, be prepared for it to be 12. Also make sure you know if you're being fed/watered/etc in advance.
* Everyone know everything about the band/gig for the night - nothing more annoying than having to refer every query to the one person.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1510131414' post='3404111']
In a function band you will also often be travelling further and leaving later so arriving home at 2 or 3 am is common place. IME generally parties and other functions where generally OK, weddings usually the worst.
Pub gigs are generally way more fun but nothing beats a good tribute gig - its about as close to the "real thing" you can get as weekend warrior.
[/quote]
I actually really like touring with tribute bands -> usually finishing at a sensible time (10-1030 or so) and then head back to hotel and get to explore a different area of the country for a few hours before off to the next show.

Ive never seen a fight at a function gig, although we have been very close to starting one when the new money lot (normally young farmers) think they own us and our gear.

We have played at a few castles and stately homes, and its great being able to wander around the off limits areas. We even had a beer with a duke once in his private quaters. Ups and downs are never predictable though, and sound meters are much more of a problem than having to hang around for a few hours.

Waking up next day with £300 in my pocket makes it al worth while :-)

[quote name='DorsetBlue' timestamp='1509984266' post='3403025']
My band played their second gig on Saturday night, our first paid one (previous one was for a charity). The actual gig went well and was well received, with the lady whose Wedding Anniversary it was (we play 50s and 60s R&R) thanking us at the end.
The gig was a little hard work for the money though, as we were playing as part of an entertainment package along with the drummer's DJ sessions. So there was a lot of waiting around for our set and then a little afterwards, before we could pack away. All in all, we were there for 6 hours. I think we should probably concentrate on pub gigs from now on.
The main lesson learnt though was.....don't leave your Helix turned on unattended (the DJ/Drummer put his kit on auto-pilot for a while). When we went in to get ready for our set, someone had fiddled with my settings (probably one of the lady's young grandchildren) and I just managed to get it back in a reasonable state (there is a foot switch still assigned to some unknown function - which seems to do nothing when pressed) ready to start the set. Last issue was the volume knob had been turned down - DOH!
[/quote]

we recently had a large barn gig and during the interval a rather hyperactive three year old took a shine to the drum kit so to keep him away from the guitars and keyboard our drummer sat him on the stool and gave him the sticks - he thrashed around for about two or three minutes but was an absolute natural and hit every single drum clean on the sweet spot :lol: