Why become a member? ×

Hysteria..a bass album, seriously

Barking Spiders

This lunchtime I came across a copy of [i]Bass, [/i]read the article on Bootsy, flicked through the rest and decided to get a copy of [i]Private Eye [/i]instead. The last article is on Classic Bass Albums, which this month includes the odd inclusion of Def Leppard's synthetic, sterile mush that is Hysteria. I've listened to this and frankly IMO you might as well call owt by U2 or AC/DC a bass album. Anyone else perplexed at some of the entries that have been in the Classic Bass Albums column?

Howdy, it was my choice to cover Hysteria for the column. I have a list of albums as long as your arm to cover but the remit from day one was cover all sorts of albums, not just the Greatest Hits Of Jaco or Stanley on a monthly basis. Where possible I/we try to pick albums that have an anniversary pending (or not, it's not cast in stone) but I proposed some months back a 3 issue run of albums, by a band or artist, that sold massively and for that artist, they never produced a bigger selling album, I chose 1987 and hence the INXS/Def Leppard/George Michael albums. On top of that, the Hysteria deluxe boxset was released a few months back and we have Rick Savage's interview in the wings too. There is no denying that in the rock arena, Hysteria changed quite a lot of things as far as rock albums go, not least the production values that Mutt Lange brought to the album.

Don't despair, there are plenty of bass-centric albums lined-up, such as Marcus Miller's 'The Sun Don't Lie' in a month or two. As an ongoing column, the possibilities are almost endless so hopefully I'll cover something you do like soon.

All the best,
Mike

Edited by Mike Brooks

Do they have to be specifically bass centric? I am not a great fan of bass star albums, so I wouldn't be interested in Jaco or people like that, but there are always some albums that are interesting for bass. 'Introducing the hardline' came out that year, as someone who liked rock I found that out of my normal zone but really good to listen to it (you couldn't really avoid it if you have female friends!). Secrets of the beehive has interesting bass, Dawnrazor came out too, that was interesting (to me). Even Floodland had some notable basslines, if not exactly challenging.

Not particularly knocking Def Leppard, not really one of my favourite groups but I have the album, and it was a good album, but not that interesting from a bass point of view, more for its lyrics!

[quote name='Mike Brooks' timestamp='1510086984' post='3403938']
Howdy, it was my choice to cover Hysteria for the column. I have a list of albums as long as your arm to cover but the remit from day one was cover all sorts of albums, not just the Greatest Hits Of Jaco or Stanley on a monthly basis. Where possible I/we try to pick albums that have an anniversary pending (or not, it's not cast in stone) but I proposed some months back a 3 issue run of albums, by a band or artist, that sold massively and for that artist, they never produced a bigger selling album, I chose 1987 and hence the INXS/Def Leppard/George Michael albums. On top of that, the Hysteria deluxe boxset was released a few months back and we have Rick Savage's interview in the wings too. There is no denying that in the rock arena, Hysteria changed quite a lot of things as far as rock albums go, not least the production values that Mutt Lange brought to the album.

Don't despair, there are plenty of bass-centric albums lined-up, such as Marcus Miller's 'The Sun Don't Lie' in a month or two. As an ongoing column, the possibilities are almost endless so hopefully I'll cover something you do like soon.

All the best,
Mike
[/quote]
I for one really enjoyed reading it. I grew up as a little kid through the punk era, hysteria was my teens and grunge my university days. I am not a fan of the massively complicated lines some like. I don't consider hysteria to be a brilliant technical album (beyond the production)but it was cleverly written to appeal beyond hair metals usual reaches and was, as you say, a game changer.

(Any chance you could do some Sugar or Husker Du? Beaster would be perfect)

I chose 1987 and hence the INXS/Def Leppard/George Michael albums.
[/quote]

I can't see any problem with any of those albums being featured as a bass album. However, you've missed a behemoth of a 1987 album, certainly one that's influenced countless bassists- Guns n' Roses, Appetite for Destruction.

[quote name='James Nada' timestamp='1510090338' post='3403984']
I can't see any problem with any of those albums being featured as a bass album. However, you've missed a behemoth of a 1987 album, certainly one that's influenced countless bassists- Guns n' Roses, Appetite for Destruction.
[/quote]

It's on the list...;)

All the best,
Mike
[/quote]

Awesome, thanks Mike. Perfick explanation and totally agree with you and your thinking on this. Looking forward to the Rick Savage interview, he’s a much better player than he ever lets on in Lep.

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1510084396' post='3403909']
I'm not a fan of U2 by any means, but I'm secretly rooting for them simply because of the level of hatred directed at them simply for existing and for being fiscally rewarded for their efforts.
[/quote]

...and stashing the cash in off shore tax havens it would seem whilst begging you to part with your Dog & Duck pay to help the starving kids in Africa, nice XD

They deserve all the crap they get for Bono alone, never mind the music

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1510067400' post='3403691']
Just goes to show we all have different opinions, and no matter what the Bass chat collective thinks, there are people out there that dare to like other things.
[/quote]

It's not about whether people like this album or not. It was in the article as a'classic bass album', but the basslines on it are pretty functional to my ears. Functional is absolutely fine and I've no problem with that if it serves the song. I'd never plump for owt by Vic Wootten, Stanley Clark, Marcus Miller etc as a fave bass album as their music doesn't interest me. I'm more likely to choose albums where the bass is distinctive and drives the songs along not where there are flashy licks e.g. Sulk by The Associates, Lexicon of Love by ABC, Black & White by The Stranglers, No Rest for The Wicked by New Model Amy, Songs In The Key Of Life, So by Peter Gabriel, Graceland and What's Goin' On.

Edited by Barking Spiders

[quote name='Barking Spiders' timestamp='1510133173' post='3404129']
It's not about whether people like this album or not. It was in the article as a'classic bass album', but the basslines on it are pretty functional to my ears. Functional is absolutely fine and I've no problem with that if it serves the song. I'd never plump for owt by Vic Wootten, Stanley Clark, Marcus Miller etc as a fave bass album as their music doesn't interest me. I'm more likely to choose albums where the bass is distinctive and drives the songs along not where there are flashy licks e.g. Sulk by The Associates, Lexicon of Love by ABC, Black & White by The Stranglers, No Rest for The Wicked by New Model Amy, Songs In The Key Of Life, So by Peter Gabriel, Graceland and What's Goin' On.
[/quote]

My post was about your 'Def Leppard's synthetic, sterile mush that is Hysteria' comment. I dont feel this way about it, so therefore we have different opinions...which is good. Personally i find Vic Wootten, Stanley Clark, Marcus Miller as boring as hell to listen to, not my type of music at all, so again, we have other opinions.

You cant please all the people all of the time so its not worth loosing sleep over.

I always think of Hysteria era Def Leppard as a bunch of craftsmen , including the producer , going about their work and succeeding. No artistry whatsoever but an example of what can be done with a workmanlike approach to unpromising base material. The bass parts are an example of that. Not a note that wasn't thought about in terms of enhancing a product to be taken to market. I can't fault that - but if I wanted to listen to a similar train of thought BUT based on artistry enhanced by good craftsmanship , which is a different thing , I'd stick The Nightfly on every time.

I'd never plump for owt by Vic Wootten, Stanley Clark, Marcus Miller etc as a fave bass album as their music doesn't interest me.
[/quote]
[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1510138093' post='3404180']
Personally i find Vic Wootten, Stanley Clark, Marcus Miller as boring as hell to listen to, not my type of music at all, so again, we have other opinions.
[/quote]

I would say no, you don't have other opinions :ph34r:

Whereas I agree with the popular vote here, being that it's not a classic 'Bass' album, what I'll say about Hysteria is that it was big for me as a new player of 13 years old.

With the simple functional Basslines, it was easy to learn and left me with a real sense achievement with my ability at the time.....

BUT!, as already has been said, Apetite for Destruction is the one. Now that's a record which really shows you how to work with a drummer and create a groove...

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1510138093' post='3404180']
My post was about your 'Def Leppard's synthetic, sterile mush that is Hysteria' comment. I dont feel this way about it, so therefore we have different opinions...which is good. Personally i find Vic Wootten, Stanley Clark, Marcus Miller as boring as hell to listen to, not my type of music at all, so again, we have other opinions.

You cant please all the people all of the time so its not worth loosing sleep over.
[/quote]

Ah but if you re-red my last post you'll see that like you I absolutely have no interest in the music of Wootten, Miller and other noted bass virtuosos.

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1510084396' post='3403909']
I'm not a fan of U2 by any means, but I'm secretly rooting for them simply because of the level of hatred directed at them simply for existing and for being fiscally rewarded for their efforts.

Anyway I'm off to turgidly plod through a listless, groove-less rendition of Born Under A Bad Sign down at the Dog and Duck. Lets hope I can fit my epic 112 Markbass/Trace rig in between the pool table and the fruit machine. Do I take my Sue Ryder P bass or the Maruszczyk? :lol:
[/quote]

Complete bastards. Fancy making music people like and buy in reasonable quantities to make a living out of. Bastards.

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1510149018' post='3404289']
Complete bastards. Fancy making music people like and buy in reasonable quantities to make a living out of. Bastards.
[/quote]

I remember that band U2. They did TRY and make people like their offerings for free. But thankfully, there was a way around it for Apple users.
[url="https://www.iphonelife.com/content/how-to-remove-u2-album-%E2%80%9Csongs-innocence%E2%80%9D-iphone-itunes"]https://www.iphoneli...D-iphone-itunes[/url]

:D

Edited by lowdown

[/quote]

A few of those have been covered and few others are slated for inclusion.

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1510155748' post='3404344']
I'm a bit surprised more hasn't been said of Kevin Bacon's bass playing for the Comsat Angels, especially prominent on 'Sleep No More' from 1981. Maybe one to cover sometime?
[/quote]

I think everyone is just sick of those EE adverts he does now.