Why become a member? ×

SOLD £350 - 1980s Washburn B20 sunburst PJ bass
£700

Westenra

Washburn B20 Stage bass made between the early and mid eighties in Japan. It has a great body shape - firebird style cutaway bound ash body with flame maple top and is a very striking looking bass. It has a three piece bound thru neck made from rock maple and rosewood with an ebony 22 fret fingerboard with circular brass inlays and a brass nut. The great looking ''hockey stick'' style headstock holds the four on a side well made tuners and the ''Washburn'' logo. There are two cream coloured pickups - one a J style and the other a P style, together with two volume and two tone controls plus a three-way pickup selector switch situated on the ''horn''. The bridge/tailpiece is a Washburn Sure Track with brass saddles.

This one has two aftermarket mods, which are new machine heads (unsure which brand) and a dice on top of the active switch.

Weighs in at 4.5kg

She's from the 1980s and shows it, as seen in the close up photos of the buckle rash and a chip at the back of the neck.Collection would be around SW8/SW15 area

Postage is fine too and will be packed securely and safely

Feedback can be found here;

http://basschat.co.u...enras-feedback/

IMG_5356.JPG

IMG_5357.JPG

IMG_5358.JPG

IMG_5359.JPG

IMG_5360.JPG

IMG_5361.JPG

IMG_5362.JPG

IMG_5363.JPG

IMG_5364.JPG

Edited by Westenra

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had one of these in 1981, my first serious bass. One of the few I sort of wish I'd not sold, because over the years I developed something of an interest in old MIJ stuff & came to appreciate quite how good these were.

Washburns of this era (this one will be '82 or '83, I think - there should be a dateable s/n on the back of the head) were made by Yamaki Gakki, a fairly short-lived and low output workshop who built their high-end stuff to pretty much boutique standard.

Unless they've been swapped, the pickups aren't DiMarzios, I'm afraid. Can't tell from the pics (can only see the thumbnails) but the J unit on the original set should have solid poles, not allens. Quick way to check for DiMarzios is to pop a metric key in a pole piece - it won't fit because US-made DiMs use imperial sizes.

Catalogue image & spec here:

http://www.matsumoku.org/models/washburn/catalogs/1980_fullline/80_wash_cat_pg9.jpg.html

Tuners are swapped on this - originals would have been Gotoh Resolite GB528s (or their '80s equivalents) or Schaller M4S clones - mine had the Gotohs. This one is a bit later than mine, the pickup spacing is a bit tighter with the P unit moved away from the end of the neck. Mine also had a lacquered veneer trc which matched the control covers.

Very cool & rare bass, GLWTS. B|

Edited by Bassassin