Why become a member? ×

I'm Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down

Wilco

So, I've recently purchased a fretless because a) I got it at a great price b ) I didn't have a fretless & c) Because it was a Westone Thunder 1A which was the first proper bass model I had when I was a lad (although fretted version back then).

Being a child of the 80's, there's a good few examples of pop fretless to start having a go at - a few Police songs for example.

Then, during my searches for others I was reminded of the above song. The more & more I listen to it, the more I'm thinking what a perfect bassline.

The tone, the funkyness of it, the spaces of bass silence just at the right time, the sublime fills, stunning outro section - it just fits the song so well & it's purposeful fretless with a groove rather than arty farty b****x.

Now probably my favourite bass line of all time I reckon (to listen to - I've got such a talent shortfall to be able to play it...!).

Nice one Pino.

Edited by Wilco

I'd forgotten how good this is. Paul Young is a great singer/frontman too. I remember seeing him with the Q-Tips a little while back, I think it was before he found fame and fortune.

Edited by ead

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1509890120' post='3402330']
Nah, you're thinking of a drummer.

You heard about the drummer who was suicidal about his bad timing ? Threw himself behind a train.

Baddum tish !
[/quote]

I'd have really gone for a punch-line of [i]Squish baddum[/i]! You can't have everything in this world. But seriously, I love drummers, I just couldn't eat a whole one.

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1509881759' post='3402252']bass solo at 5.10!!

[media]http://youtu.be/YqmjbiA_wnc[/media]
[/quote]
[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1509882921' post='3402260']
Bass solo at 4:36
[/quote]

Awesome line. But as he plays it the same as he does on the recorded version, does it still count as a "solo"? :huh:

And yes, his fingers look to be even longer than Stanley Clarke's! :o