Why become a member? ×

Short scale: cheap vintage vs cheap modern

Cosmonaut

Hi guys, I'm in the market for a short scale bass, mainly it will be a backup bass and my travelling bass because next year I will have to take many flights. So what I need is a solid body bass with a classic tone in the cheap side I prefer the 9.5 radius, and not so thin necks. I already have some good 34 scale basses, precision and jazz, so I need something different.

My options near here are 3 vintage basses that I will try next tuesday:
-Kay eb100
-Kay K1b (Eb0 style)
-Guyatone EB1 (mosrite style with one pickup)

All of them between 200-250 euros, and all of them would need a cleaning.

My options with the modern ones are:

-Squier bronco (basically to mod...changing pickup and bridge)
-Squier mustang ( the mosg expensive...its 295 euros used)
-Squier Jaguar (the cheapest one it's 170 euros)

What would you choose?what's your experience with your Kay or guyatone basses?
Thanks guys!!

I have a short scale Jaguar. It is soundwise very P-bass (on the P pickup, that is) so maybe not very different. It is not super light, though, and weight costs if you are travelling by plane. Especially if you travel as your username indicates.
If I were in the situation You describe I would consider a Traveler ultra light bass. I have not tried it myself but from the reviews at Thomann's the sound seems to be their weakest point - if you can live with the ergonomics. If sound is important a preamp/signal conditioner is probably needed - or you can upgrade it with a conventional magnetic pickup.

Edited by 42Hz

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1509897535' post='3402406']

I think either I've played the same ten or we've both been very very unlucky :)
[/quote]
Kay=Krap, unfortunately some delusional folk would seem to think being old automatically makes something worth more and are listing firewood at prices that are hilarious.

The Kays will be horrible plywood Taiwanese rubbish. The Guya is MIJ, better quality and also has some collectability value.

Any of the modern basses however will be a more functional, useable musical instrument. There's been a vast improvement in the quality of budget-end instruments since the 70s!

[quote name='42Hz' timestamp='1509897485' post='3402404']
If You always travel to the same destination you could also just have a bass of your preferred model stationary there.
[/quote]
Not really...I work building recording studios, so I usually change my destination every 2 or 3 months

If coolness matters to you, check out the Hofner 182, Hofner 185, Hagstrom and Futurama from the early/mid 60s.

I've had several examples of each of those, all have played and sounded fine, they have stories to tell, and they tend to go up in value rather than down.

There's also little wrong with most Eko, Kent and Gherson basses that a decent set-up won't deal with.

I have only played one Kay bass, but several Kay guitars (including my first guitar). I can confirm that their immense crapness was not reserved for the basses.

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1509897665' post='3402408']
Kay=Krap, unfortunately some delusional folk would seem to think being old automatically makes something worth more and are listing firewood at prices that are hilarious.
[/quote]

I have seen that on facebook - you get these people saying 'Kay guitar - these are getting pretty rare now', yes because anyone who had one is most likely to have burned theirs, I did to prevent it falling into the hands of someone who could be disillusioned with music!

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1509904146' post='3402501']
If coolness matters to you, check out the Hofner 182, Hofner 185, Hagstrom and Futurama from the early/mid 60s.

I've had several examples of each of those, all have played and sounded fine, they have stories to tell, and they tend to go up in value rather than down.

There's also little wrong with most Eko, Kent and Gherson basses that a decent set-up won't deal with.
[/quote]

A quick look for those on reverb and ebay...but all of them are between 700-1000...out of my budget.

Danelectro Longhorn could be considered for your short list, too. Certainly lightweight! The quirky look isn't for everyone, I know, but they play nicely and sound fantastic.

I've had a few shortscale Fendery things and the Squier VM Mustang was my pick - to my ears it sounded 'exactly' like the proper vintage Mustang. Although the neck is Jazz width - 38mm at the nut - so maybe too skinny?

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1509905911' post='3402520']
Danelectro Longhorn could be considered for your short list, too. Certainly lightweight! The quirky look isn't for everyone, I know, but they play nicely and sound fantastic.

I've had a few shortscale Fendery things and the Squier VM Mustang was my pick - to my ears it sounded 'exactly' like the proper vintage Mustang. Although the neck is Jazz width - 38mm at the nut - so maybe too skinny?
[/quote]

Danelectro Longhorn is not for me I think, I didn't know the Mustang is 38mm, so maybe too skinny for me.

Edited by Cosmonaut

[quote name='Cosmonaut' timestamp='1509905793' post='3402518']
A quick look for those on reverb and ebay...but all of them are between 700-1000...out of my budget.
[/quote]

:blink: :blink: :blink:[size=4] [/size]

The last Hofner 185 to sell on Basschat (earlier this year) went for £200. I bought a Hagstrom in near showroom condition off eBay a few months ago for £500.

You may be looking in the wrong places!

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1509906934' post='3402529']

:blink: :blink: :blink:[size=4] [/size]

The last Hofner 185 to sell on Basschat (earlier this year) went for £200. I bought a Hagstrom in near showroom condition off eBay a few months ago for £500.

You may be looking in the wrong places!
[/quote]
Thanks man, I will look for one of these ones here and on ebay.

[quote name='Cosmonaut' timestamp='1509877466' post='3402211']
Hi guys, I'm in the market for a short scale bass, mainly it will be a backup bass and my travelling bass because next year I will have to take many flights. So what I need is a solid body bass with a classic tone in the cheap side I prefer the 9.5 radius, and not so thin necks. I already have some good 34 scale basses, precision and jazz, so I need something different.

My options near here are 3 vintage basses that I will try next tuesday:
-Kay eb100
-Kay K1b (Eb0 style)
-Guyatone EB1 (mosrite style with one pickup)

All of them between 200-250 euros, and all of them would need a cleaning.

My options with the modern ones are:

-Squier bronco (basically to mod...changing pickup and bridge)
-Squier mustang ( the mosg expensive...its 295 euros used)
-Squier Jaguar (the cheapest one it's 170 euros)

What would you choose?what's your experience with your Kay or guyatone basses?
Thanks guys!!
[/quote]

Go for cheap modern, i have gone the cheap vintage route before and really regretted it, manufacturing has come a long long way and even cheap modern basses are not usually too bad, the Kay basses and the other old cheapos tend to be atrocious. Bad enough the action was a mile high but the pickup sounded like a rhino taking a bowel movement

Edited by markdavid