Why become a member? ×

Too Much Amp For A Noodler?

Chewie

Good morning honourable BC'ers,
I barely jam with anybody anymore, never mind gig.
I'm a dedicated noodler and lover of the instrument these days.
I have a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.2 and their Focus 115 & 210 in my front room!!!!
The room is 17ft square..... ish.... with a bay window, the floor is floorboards and there's a void beneath of about two foot.
I'm going to upgrade my rig but down size it to the room...... I think if I can get a smaller set up, I can stretch the amp more and create better tones for the room and my humble ears.
What do you guys think?
Do you have a dream set up to noodle with at home?
Please share your wisdom with me. I play mostly passive vintage instruments, and a beloved Stingray.
Regards and respect,
Chewie

If you think you might ever need it to play out in future, keep it and use it. It takes up less space than having your rig plus a little practice amp next to it. I use a big amp at home too, it has a volume knob after all!

If you don't foresee yourself ever using it to its full potential, you could chop it in for a PJB Cub or Double Four and reclaim a bit of floor space if you feel the need!

Another one10 home user here- with a GK MB200. But I gigged this tiny rig on Friday night in a small pub, with drums and elecric guitar, and it easily coped. The tone is very sweet too.

However, I would quite fancy one of those small PJB combos for the house, just because...

Frank.

Kit which sounds fine quiet in the noodle room may not cut the mustard when the wick is turned up. This is specially true of more budget gear. I had two Fender Mk 2 112s which sounded lovely in the bedroom, and prior to that two TC BC210s ditto. But in both cases they sounded a bit shouty and not quite so nice when turned right up for gigging. Now I have an LM2 and BF 210 which sound great quiet AND loud.

Edited by lownote12

I catch your drift Chewie :)
I have a GB Streamliner and 2x12 but use an Ashdown Mibass and 1x15 Ashdown cab in the house and that has loads of oomph. It also saves be carrying my gear in and out of the house.
If I was you I would hang onto one of your GB cabs and get a nice 200-350W head that matches it. That way you still have plenty in the tank if you do need it for a gig.
Ashdown RM or Gallien & Krueger would be my choices

Edited by Pinball

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Genz Benz Shuttle 6.2 and Focus 115 & 210 is a really nice set up. I wouldn't change it just because your performance situation has changed ~ for the time being (!) [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The Shuttle front-end preamp looks and sounds great with lots of options, And has a headphone out (of course). Maybe invest in some decent can's or a wireless head set?[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Your family and neighbours might thank you?! I love my Trace preamp and old Beyer DT100 can's - handy on Monday nights with corrie | stender's | corrie on the box... :)[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color]

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1509875897' post='3402195']
My 'home' rig is an Ashdown Rootmaster 800 & Barefaced Super Compact, which is (unsurprisingly!) fairly compact, but loud enough to double as my small venue gig rig.
[/quote]Thanks Dave, I've been thinking about a Barefaced option. Ampwise, I want something warm with character..... Thought about Aguilar.... I'll have a look out for you gigging.... I'm only in Swindon........ Chewie

Cheers, I'm often in Swindon, but the only Wirebirds gigs left this this year (unless we get any late bookings) are in Melksham and here in West Oxfordshire. Our guitarist is going home for Christmas at the end of November (he's from St. Helena, which is a bloody long way to go!). I would have thought that for home use, the Barefaced Midget or 1 10 would be ideal.

I was surprised by the quality of the sound from the Rootmaster, in fact after buying one as a back up to my ABMs, I have sold both ABMs and now just have two RM800s.

Yep, RMs are great amps. I know it shouldn`t make any difference but on the punk scene bands with little amps/cabs are still viewed as not being "proper" bands, so until they are ABMs all the way for me, but the RMs are plenty amp enough for all but the biggest stages. Once I hang up my punk boots - or when I get too old and knackered to carry anything heavier than 10lbs - it will be Ashdown RMs all the way for me.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1509882535' post='3402258']
Keep your amp and replace the cabs.

I use my gigging amps (TH500 and AG700) and a BF One10.

That's about the size of one of our cushions.
[/quote]That is a good shout.........

[quote name='Tubster' timestamp='1510008184' post='3403283']
AER AMP ONE or AMP THREE. Pricey but effective.
[/quote]

I've only owned the AER amp one (briefly) and AER amp two. The Barefaced one10 cab with a decent amp is at least the equal of the amp one and will cost probably half, or less, than what the amp one will cost.

Still, a good call if money is no object.

Frank.

Fully accept your analysis of AMP ONE. However bought my AER used for less than BF and amp - full price is just nuts.

Just tried a TE Elf which was very acceptable but through an Eden cab. However, the TE 2X8” CAB is loaded with Faital speakers and while 599, could do the job nicely. The ELF is just unbelievably minute - would love one. The 2 together - nice little system.

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1510013362' post='3403319']
I've only owned the AER amp one (briefly) and AER amp two. The Barefaced one10 cab with a decent amp is at least the equal of the amp one and will cost probably half, or less, than what the amp one will cost.

Still, a good call if money is no object.

Frank.
[/quote]

Interesting to read this. The AER amps sit quite high on an amp gas list for me but perhaps no more.

You should keep AER on your ‘gas’ list for sure IMO.
have Aguilar th500 and 2x Bergantino cn112 yet my AER AMP THREE gets the gig 80% of the time. Why?.....sonics and portability plus amazing connectivity for pa, subs etc. Also, as stupid as this is, a combo works best for me. Yes, I know, I know!!!!