Why become a member? ×

Markbass Jeff berlin

peety

Just looking for a bit of info considering a change of amplification currently using a fender rumble 500 watt 210 combo which has served me really well, however I prefer 15's really and the Jeff berlin has caught my eye.

I play in a covers band pretty wide variety of stuff from current to indie to 60's and 70's , we do a mixture of pub gigs and private parties functions weddings etc, generally di but do occasional gigs where the combo would be stand alone.

Be interested to hear from anyone with experience of one of these in terms of tone power etc

Cheers Steve

I had a JB Markbass for a short time - sold as I wasn't impressed - I felt it needed a compressor to get the tones I wanted.

Remember that I'm really a Trace Elliot fan which the MB can't emulate without adding pedals. If this isn't what you're after, ignore this comment.

The MB is surprisingly loud considering it's weight/size - a friend of mine gigged his without any issues as do many others so that isn't going to be something you'll need to worry about.

A pal has a JB combo and I've used it. Surprisingly pokey for its size and smooth sound (without being dull). Very musical, as guybrush says. You'll probably need a pedal or two if dirty/overdriven sounds are your thang, but aside from that, it's a great little combo.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1509993491' post='3403122']
You could try posting in 'Items Wanted'.....?
[/quote]

Good point I had thought about that and will probably try that route first but I usually miss out on anything going

Cheers steve

Have a look at other MB combos - the 102P for example. There is a definite MB sound in my experience - smooth, quite weighty and not bright/clicky (if that makes any sense) - that they all seem to share. If you like the MB sound, one of their other combos may suit. The JB is £800-£900 new, so you could save yourself quite a bit if you can find something used that you like.

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/11/2017 at 07:42, peety said:

Just looking for a bit of info considering a change of amplification currently using a fender rumble 500 watt 210 combo which has served me really well, however I prefer 15's really and the Jeff berlin has caught my eye.

I play in a covers band pretty wide variety of stuff from current to indie to 60's and 70's , we do a mixture of pub gigs and private parties functions weddings etc, generally di but do occasional gigs where the combo would be stand alone.

Be interested to hear from anyone with experience of one of these in terms of tone power etc

Cheers Steve

You could try the Rumble 15" extension speaker with the 2 x 10".

• 2 weeks later...

LoMB9Vh.jpg

I've had my Markbass Jeff Berlin since March or April this year. I absolutely love it. If you had told me ten years ago that there would be a 15" combo that sounded this rich and musical I would have laughed until I had died. But the proof really is in the pudding. 

For my tastes, the amp must sound great first, and any other consideration is secondary. The JB has a tremendous tone, but it's also loud and light, two big plus points.