Why become a member? ×

A funny thing happened at rehearsal this morning...

fretmeister

I play and volunteer at a local educational trust music group. It meets on a Saturday morning and kids who have lessons in the county attend to play in a variety of ensembles.

Usually I play in the “grown up band” and the ukulele orchestra and then wherever anyone needs me.

That took a bit of a surprisingl turn today. The leading ensemble there is the big band / jazz ensemble. One of the teachers plays bass in it.
He is now off sick until after Xmas.

I’ve been promoted / press ganged and now I’ve got 5 weeks to learn the set for the Xmas show on top of my usual stuff.

NONE of it is in the original keys. The bloke who went on the sick took all his scores with him and as he arranged all the parts I have no idea what he played. With piano, tuba, trombone etc the bass guitar parts were apparently written around the others.

So far I’ve got

Uptown funk
Ghostbusters
All I want for Christmas is you
Hawaii five-o
Superstition
Fairytale of New York

I get the next batch next week.

Still, the best bit is that both my kids play in that ensemble too. I have the chance to massively embarrass them... :)

[quote name='BigAlonBass' timestamp='1509872862' post='3402159']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]"The bloke who went on the sick took all his scores with him....."[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Find out his address, knock on his door, sorted! [/font][/color]
[/quote]

Someone is trying that. They won’t tell me the address as he’s staff and I’m not.