Why become a member? ×

Headstocks and tuners

TheGreek

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1509898131' post='3402415']
I dont get the potato reference. :blink:
[/quote]

The OP had a typo in the heading, 'tubers' instead of 'tuners'. Cue terribly clever potato references. That's also why I posted a picture of a tuba (tuber = tuba, geddit?). Er... you had to be there, I suppose. :biggrin:

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1509897222' post='3402399']
4 a side, not cos I`m Fender biased, it`s just easier knowing they all turn the same way to tune up/down.
[/quote]

Except when you're going from modern Fender to vintage Fender, in which case they [i]all[/i] turn the wrong way. :)

Edited by discreet

I prefer 2+2 for the fact it affords a shorter headstock (think Pedulla Buzz, Zon Sonus, Spector NS etc etc). That doesn't look right on a Fender type shape though. Jazz has to be four inline for me. A bit like nut width though, it's one of those statistics that really makes no difference to me buying a bass.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1509909617' post='3402548']
4 in a row is just more aesthetically pleasing. I've always thought this, since long before I played bass. I just love the look of a Fender headstock.
[/quote]

Technically a triumph of form over function, but I agree totally. :i-m_so_happy:

I only play fives but it depends on the shape of the headstock.
Traditional style headstocks (Fender/Musicman) 4+1.
More symmetrical or paddle style headstocks (Warwick/Spector/Ibanez SR) 3+2.

Seen a few 5 string Maruszczyks recently with a Fender style headstock in a 3+2 and it just doesn't look right to me somehow.

Surely 4 a side is for 8-strings?

Can't understand why people want headstocks, stupid primitive things that make a bass heavier and less well-balanced, and more likely to unintentionally jab the vocalist in the ear. With a headless, I have to actually mean it.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1509924897' post='3402699']

Can't understand why people want headstocks, stupid primitive things that make a bass heavier and less well-balanced, and more likely to unintentionally jab the vocalist in the ear. With a headless, I have to actually mean it.
[/quote]

"Unintentionally jab our vocalist in the ear" there was nothing unintentional when I gave our guitarist a black eye with the end of my Precision headstock, he doesn't stand so close to me nowadays.... (to explain, I am not some kind of bass wielding physco he was jumping around like an idiot I just provided him with something to crash in to)