Why become a member? ×

scrumpymike's (a) Rascal

Andyjr1515

29 minutes ago, scrumpymike said:

And enough room at the top end of the case now for a couple of rounds of sarnies :D

Hahahahaha!

That reminds me of an old magazine series called Roadbike from the seventies.  I collected the series for the reviews and workshop tutorials.  One of the main criteria for the touring 'bikes was that there was room to pack some sandwiches under the saddle.

image.png.823e370d33db89c99b89fed99bcb7c13.png

I used to be able to get a pack of sandwiches, the chain and padlock and that day's shirt under the pillion pad on my ZX-6R.  The tail on my Tuono is so thin that the whole space is taken up by the rudimentary tool kit.

1 hour ago, SpondonBassed said:

Hahahahaha!

That reminds me of an old magazine series called Roadbike from the seventies.  I collected the series for the reviews and workshop tutorials.  One of the main criteria for the touring 'bikes was that there was room to pack some sandwiches under the saddle.

image.png.823e370d33db89c99b89fed99bcb7c13.png

Yep, I remember Road Bike!

45 minutes ago, Si600 said:

I used to be able to get a pack of sandwiches, the chain and padlock and that day's shirt under the pillion pad on my ZX-6R.  The tail on my Tuono is so thin that the whole space is taken up by the rudimentary tool kit.

My current touring steed has 122 litres of luggage capacity if you include the 52l in lieu of Mrs Scrumpy!!

I can't recommend Andy highly enough for things like this - knocked it out of the park for my "Not-a-Harley-Benton-Any-More" Jazz bass and looks like he's done it once again here.

Wish you all the best with it Mike, if it's even half as good as it looks it will be an incredible instrument.

Here comes the "I'm gonna ask Andy to do XYZ for me" thoughts again *sigh* xD

1 hour ago, Harryburke14 said:

I can't recommend Andy highly enough for things like this - knocked it out of the park for my "Not-a-Harley-Benton-Any-More" Jazz bass and looks like he's done it once again here.

Wish you all the best with it Mike, if it's even half as good as it looks it will be an incredible instrument.

Here comes the "I'm gonna ask Andy to do XYZ for me" thoughts again *sigh* xD

Thanks Harry.  As you know, I followed your build diary (plus Mick's and all the others) and was deeply impressed by every one - nothing matches following your own though.

As expected, there's a happy ending to this story.  I met up with Andy today and, having got back home and had a quick play, I can report that Rascal Mervyn-Lyte is  an absolute joy.  Andy's managed to retain the excellent features of the original Rascal (playability, sounds and controls) and make good the things I didn't like about it (weight and positioning on the strap); and that's without even mentioning the lovely walnut cut by my late buddy Merv.

Andy's said a few times that he doesn't claim his stuff is perfect.  All I can say is that this one's perfect for me.

Edited by scrumpymike
  • Like 5

• 7 months later...