Why become a member? ×

scrumpymike's (a) Rascal

Andyjr1515

Now that the 6-string Alembicesque electric has got to the stage of 'apply finish, wait for a day, apply some more finish', I'm at last into catch-up time on some of the woefully late smaller jobs that have been piling up.

The first and most overdue on the list is for scrumpymike :D

Many of you know Mike - the South West Bash which Mike and his lovely wife, MrsScrumpy, organise is the stuff of legend!

Now....many of my builds evolve as they go along. But this project has been evolving even before a pencil put its first mark on a bit of drafting paper ;)

So I'm going to summarise briefly:[list]
[*]Mike has a lovely Fender Rascal:
[/list]

[list]
[*]He loves the neck; he loves the sound; he loves the electrics and pickups. But: he doesn't like the weight; he doesn't like the 'sit'
[*]So he has asked me to do a reversible re-body job, based on a Precision Lyte shape:
[/list]

[list]
[*]Transferring the neck, hardware, pickups and electronics
[/list]
OK so far?[list]
[*]We talked about matching the headstock paint on the new body. BUT - Mike had a good friend who was a real (yes, real) tree-felling axeman...from young man to retirement. And, indeed, Mike actually got a book published of said axeman's life story.
[*]And this piece of walnut is part of the last tree he felled before retiring. And would it be possible, Mike asked, to incorporate that somewhere in the build:
[/list]
[list]
[*]Yes, said I.
[*]In fact, this then became a bookmatched-topped natural body project. And here is the resulting bookmatched walnut to make it out of :) :
[/list]

[list]
[*]And that's exactly what I'm going to do next :)
[/list]

Edited by Andyjr1515

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1509802909' post='3401758']
So it's YOUR fault!! :lol:
[/quote]
Well I bought a Fender 6 string/Baratone instead, which went back to the seller as it had action issues. There is a good scrumpy mike bass in this I can feel it in my bones.

With the high tech gadgets consisting of pencil, calculator, set square and scissors, a face-on photo of a Lyte has been scaled up and cut out ;) :

Tomorrow, I will choose the best place to position the walnut for the best figuring and cut the two halves out :)

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1509903075' post='3402485']
I don't think Mrs Andyjr will be happy if you take a guitar shaped chunk out of her dining room table.....

A good way to get a black eye, if that's what you're after... :yarr: :yarr:
[/quote]
But it's SUCH a nice grain. Perfect, in fact. I'm sure she'll understand ;)

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1509903075' post='3402485']
I don't think Mrs Andyjr will be happy if you take a guitar shaped chunk out of her dining room table.....
[/quote]
Maybe Andy could do a very limited run of basses called 'The Missus', made from her table. Limited because she might get hold of Andy before he runs out of timber! :lol:

[quote name='Rikki_Sixx' timestamp='1509904328' post='3402503']
Maybe Andy could do a very limited run of basses called 'The Missus', made from her table. Limited because she might get hold of Andy before he runs out of timber! :lol:
[/quote]
I'm more likely to end up as one of 'The Missing'! ;)

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1509905007' post='3402513']
I'm more likely to end up as one of 'The Missing'! ;)
[/quote]

Hey Andy - good to see you've finally broken cover :D Just make sure you finish 'Rascal Mervyn Lyte' before you go :huh: (Merv was my late lamented woodcutter buddy btw - and he certainly WAS a rascal!).

Edited by scrumpymike

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1509980110' post='3402987']
Hey Andy - good to see you've finally broken cover :D Just make sure you finish 'Rascal Mervyn Lyte' before you go :huh: (Merv was my late lamented woodcutter buddy btw - and he certainly WAS a rascal!).
[/quote]
:)

We may have a name for the bass, then... :D

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1509982003' post='3403004']
:)

We may have a name for the bass, then... :D
[/quote]

[i]Rascal Mervyn Lyte[/i]

Not a bad-un either. It'll get called The Rascal for short and Mike can put a personal tribute to his late friend out there in a subtle form. May I suggest you hyphenate the full name thus: Rascal Mervyn-Lyte?

Top has been cut out and joined:

I'm pleased to see that the flame ripple (particularly nice on walnut) is clearly there on the top horn as well as the bottom one.

In discussion with Mike, we're going to go for a similar approach to the Alembic-esque electric build, with a sapele/mahogany back and a wenge demarcation veneer. The original plan was to stain the wood to coordinate with the colour of the headstock plate, but the figuring here is so spectacular we both agree it is worth sticking to natural. I may use the same Osmo 3014 'special' finishing oil I used on Mick (TheGreek)'s Psilos to try to reduce the darkening effect of the finish but we can experiment.

Ref the headstock, I have an unconventional but potentially interesting thought that I will be bouncing off Mike which would give a coordinated look without losing the reversibility of the mod...

My thoughts at the moment is that the lipstick pickups would be much better being fitted from the back rather than having to use pickup rings. Maybe another carry over from the Psilos? :)

Next task is to pick some sapele that does the back justice :)

"[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][i]I may use the same Osmo 3014 'special' finishing oil I used on Mick (TheGreek)'s Psilos to try to reduce the darkening effect of the finish[/i]"[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I can highly recommend this, looks beautiful, brings out the wood tones and grain without adding any additional colour and the feel is just lovely....can't go wrong IMO.[/font][/color]

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1510152907' post='3404327']
Ref the headstock, I have an unconventional but potentially interesting thought that I will be bouncing off Mike which would give a coordinated look without losing the reversibility of the mod...

My thoughts at the moment is that the lipstick pickups would be much better being fitted from the back rather than having to use pickup rings. Maybe another carry over from the Psilos? :)

[/quote]

I'm intrigued to hear what your headstock idea is Andy! Re pups, I've had another look at the Psilos and the pups are invisible. If rear-mounting means you can hide them completely then I'd be up for that because the chrome lipstick covers might be a bit too funky/modern for the otherwise classic look.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1510160603' post='3404391']
"[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][i]I may use the same Osmo 3014 'special' finishing oil I used on Mick (TheGreek)'s Psilos to try to reduce the darkening effect of the finish[/i]"[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I can highly recommend this, looks beautiful, brings out the wood tones and grain without adding any additional colour and the feel is just lovely....can't go wrong IMO.[/font][/color]
[/quote]
Thanks for the feedback Mick - which sheen finish did you go for?

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1510047642' post='3403411']
[i]Rascal Mervyn Lyte[/i]

Not a bad-un either. It'll get called The Rascal for short and Mike can put a personal tribute to his late friend out there in a subtle form. May I suggest you hyphenate the full name thus: Rascal Mervyn-Lyte?
[/quote]

I know Merv would have been tickled at the thought of being posthumously awarded a double-barrelled name! Here he is in 2004 shortly before he hung his axe up and in 1948 when he started off as an axe-man with Arthur Green's of Silsden:

[url="http://[url=https://ibb.co/mBfSxb][/url]"][/url]

[url="http://[url=https://ibb.co/nyWpAw][/url]"][/url]

Andy[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1510161335' post='3404396']
Thanks for the feedback Mick - which sheen finish did you go for?
[/quote]

Andy would know for sure but i think it's the Satin finish [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Osmo Polyx Raw treated. Still looks beautiful..[/font][/color]

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1510166584' post='3404450']
Andy

Andy would know for sure but i think it's the Satin finish [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Osmo Polyx Raw treated. Still looks beautiful..[/font][/color]
[/quote]
Yes - the special one that minimises the darkening effect of lighter woods is a satin finish.

Mike - the lipsticks will need to be visible to get close enough to the strings (Mick's had some custom pickups made for that installation). Why I am thinking of fitting them from behind is that the fixing brackets are, of course, much wider than the lipstick itself (hidden under the pickguard). If I fit them from the top, I will need to fit pickup rings to hide the cavities. If it can be done, it will probably look quite neat not to have to do that. I'm going to take your Rascal to pieces soon so I'll have a better idea then :)

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1510163045' post='3404408']
I know Merv would have been tickled at the thought of being posthumously awarded a double-barrelled name! Here he is in 2004 shortly before he hung his axe up and in 1948 when he started off as an axe-man with Arthur Green's of Silsden:

[/quote]

It is important to remember the characters that stand out in life. We will never see their like again. Good on you!