Why become a member? ×

scrumpymike's (a) Rascal

Andyjr1515

17 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Thanks, John. Waiting for some replacement captive screws that were wrongly sent and, irritatingly haven't arrived yet to then finish it off. I've still got a few other jobs on it which I will hopefully clear over the next two or three days in between the 'Christmas preparation help' task list (which is quite a long list!)

I've got one of those lists too :|

20 hours ago, scrumpymike said:

in between the 'Christmas preparation help' task list (which is quite a long list!)

I've already cleared the random offcuts of wood, tools, strings and other paraphernalia off the dining room table. Before I've even been nagged about it :D

In the brief respite between two sets of relatives taking time and attention over Christmas and New Year, I managed to fit the machine-screw inserts that arrived on Christmas Eve (I'm sure Santa had something to do with it ;) )

So this is reversible for the original Fender screws to go back in the original screwholes if fitted back to the original Rascal body, the easiest option was to simply reposition the anchor points for the machine-screws so 'this body=machine screws, original body=Fender screws':

Im7f1sTl.jpg

And in action on the new body, using stainless steel allen-socketed screws:

X4VbAwZl.jpg

So this is where we are with a fully-fitted neck:

VgcgVVUl.jpg

And from the back it looks like this - note the darker stain for the hatches Mike asked for:

AJH3Dxnl.jpg

So, from memory, that leaves:

• Tidy up of hatch recess fit
  • Fit magnetic catches to hatches
  • Fit pickups and pots
  • Fit strap buttons
  • Set up

31 minutes ago, Norris said:

Lovely work. I don't think this will ever be reverted back to the old body - who would be a pauper again when you've been a prince?! :D

I've heard of reaching into one's feminine side but I see you're reaching into your 'My Little Pony' side xD

Yes - it was a decent objective for both Mike and I to work against but I suspect it will never quite become a Rascal again ;)

13 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Pickups are in and strap buttons fitted.  It balances very well on the strap:)

If I can squeeze a couple of hours iin between all the other seasonal duties tomorrow...this might get finished!

That's nice to know Andy - no need for lightweight tuners then :D

3 hours ago, scrumpymike said:

That's nice to know Andy - no need for lightweight tuners then :D

No - it will be fine.  Feels quite light on the strap, although there is not a huge amount of reduced weight...

There is still lots of spaghetti sticking out of the back, but the front view won't change from this other than the lipsticks height balanced during the set up:

9bc3mjUl.jpg

wvTLySzl.jpg

CgdkPfSl.jpg

Looks nice, doesn't it :D

Just the pickup wires to resolder to the switch, the magnets to put onto the hatches and then the final set-up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, scrumpymike said:

Quick set-up, get those hatches battened down - and we're good to go!

:D

Here's a full shot, by the way.  The colours have really toned down what originally looked like a large headstock.  I really like the look of this - you need to join the Fender Custom team, @scrumpymike :hi:

BiZnhqIl.jpg

Edited by Andyjr1515

2 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

:D

Here's a full shot, by the way.  The colours have really toned down what originally looked like a large headstock.  I really like the look of this - you need to join the Fender Custom team, @scrumpymike :hi:

BiZnhqIl.jpg

I do think most people would prefer this to the somewhat whacky Rascal design (which I did like btw, just not keen on the weight and ergo's of the original).  Having said that, I suppose it still qualifies as a Fender design given the P Lyte inspiration for the body.

The more I look at this, the more I like that 'blue bird' headstock :D

Edited by scrumpymike
  • Like 1

OK - it's all packed up and ready to put Mike out of his very patient misery :D

Here's some finished shots before it went back into its case.

First of all - a 'before and after' :

nFD1Qwul.jpg

Then some standard shots - probably the same ones you've seen before but with a dark background xD:

K0u2Yral.jpg

vPGKAogl.jpg

jAppiQil.jpg

t2OVNc5l.jpg

f6prprQl.jpg

ORAoraal.jpg

...and yes, Mike, it fits! :D:

csa8Zbfl.jpg

Edited by Andyjr1515
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1