Why become a member? ×

"Non-Cheesy" wedding band

Roland Rock

A recently engaged friend has asked me to recommend a band for their wedding.
He says that the ones they have checked out online are quite cheesy, citing Bruno Mars as the apparent benchmark for cheese.
The couple are more into the indie band thing (he's also partial to a bit of reggae/ska), but still want the place to feel like a party.

Nottingham area
DJ already booked
Not sure whether PA is provided, but I'm assuming not

Any guidance/suggestions please?

Christopher, I can recommend checking out The Distractions.
I did a project with one of their members and have kept an eye on them since.
They can do cheese but are pretty flexible in my experience and very competent.
Based in Kimbleh (Kimberley 😉).

Having played a couple of anniversaries and (older) birthday parties in a rockier, Americana(ish) band because the couple or birthday person really loved us I'd advise caution, as there is a reason why Bruno Mars cheesy wedding bands are so popular - they appeal to the vast majority.

The only other option would be something like a full on themed band (sorry themed probably a bad choice of word but works in the wedding context), so Ska could work really well, especially if they throw in some really well known stuff - Madness, Desmond Dekker. Other genres - I've seen a three piece Rockabilly outfit go down an absolute treat at a printer's Christmas party, ceilidh bands can often work if they have a great caller, or 40's RnB.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1509788879' post='3401599']
A recently engaged friend has asked me to recommend a band for their wedding.
He says that the ones they have checked out online are quite cheesy, citing Bruno Mars as the apparent benchmark for cheese.
The couple are more into the indie band thing (he's also partial to a bit of reggae/ska), but still want the place to feel like a party.

Nottingham area
DJ already booked
Not sure whether PA is provided, but I'm assuming not

Any guidance/suggestions please?
[/quote]

There must be quite a few bands in the area that meet the criteria. I'd also choose a 'normal' band over a 'wedding band' at my wedding as I'd like it to be more a party than a night down at the pub...
Both my main bands (one originals ska/funk/somethingoranother, and another 50/50 originals/covers ska/reggae) have played similar wedding parties and a few stag/hen parties too. I'd volunteer as we're no strangers to travelling ;) but I am sure you will find other bands closer to you that you can check out live well in advance to make sure they're a good fit.

It depends a lot on what kind of party they want. If it's mostly family with no particular interest in live music, then a classic wedding band would be more fun FOR THEM ;) but if you have a good amount of friends with whom I presume you do share a love for parties and live music, then a party band sounds like a great idea

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1509789460' post='3401616']
Christopher, I can recommend checking out The Distractions.
I did a project with one of their members and have kept an eye on them since.
They can do cheese but are pretty flexible in my experience and very competent.
Based in Kimbleh (Kimberley ).
[/quote]

I play for The Distractions pretty regularly- like Len_derby said we definitely do play some crowd-pleasing cheese, but we try to cover as many bases as possible and cater to the clients tastes/needs wherever possible. Clients have some say over the setlist- they can veto songs they don't like (within reason!) and request three songs for us to learn. There are also a number of different singers- our manager will try to get the singer that best fits with the flavour of the set.

http://thedistractionsband.co.uk

You might want to check out The Velvet Notes- different kind of vibe (more contemporary RnB/soul).

http://www.thevelvetnotes.com

Len- thanks for the plug :D

[quote name='Ceebass' timestamp='1509804214' post='3401765']
I play for The Distractions pretty regularly- like Len_derby said we definitely do play some crowd-pleasing cheese, but we try to cover as many bases as possible and cater to the clients tastes/needs wherever possible. Clients have some say over the setlist- they can veto songs they don't like (within reason!) and request three songs for us to learn. There are also a number of different singers- our manager will try to get the singer that best fits with the flavour of the set.

[url="http://thedistractionsband.co.uk"]http://thedistractionsband.co.uk[/url]

You might want to check out The Velvet Notes- different kind of vibe (more contemporary RnB/soul).

[url="http://www.thevelvetnotes.com"]http://www.thevelvetnotes.com[/url]

Len- thanks for the plug :D
[/quote]

The Distractions are ace

[quote name='Tom Brookes Music' timestamp='1509793749' post='3401672']
My wedding band tries to offer this type of thing.....funk, blues and soul stuff.

[url="http://www.somethingblues.co.uk/"]http://www.somethingblues.co.uk/[/url] we're Staffordshire/Cheshire based, so not too far away at all.
[/quote]

Nice voice. Very easy to listen to and very talented. Liking that.

Dave

Do their guests want to hear a live band?

We've played a few weddings because the couples were fans of the band.

In all cases their guests were not thrilled and would have been perfect happy with a DJ only.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1509912195' post='3402581']

In all cases their guests were not thrilled and would have been perfect happy with a DJ only.

Blue
[/quote]

Best wedding band I ever saw was a couple of years ago when the drummer from my then band (from a fairly posh English family from Chelsea - son of a judge) married a hindu girl from Birmingham. they found a band that mixed indian and western music brilliantly - just spectacularly good, not a hint of cheese or being a "wedding band" (apologies to those of you who are in wedding bands). Nobody there was a "fan" of the band beforehand but it worked to bring everybody (including a load of musicians from the death metal world) together. And what really worked (and back to Blue's point) was that the venue allowed everybody that wanted to see the band to watch them in a large room with a stage, and everybody else (largely the wrinklies) could remain in the bar or dining room. So no unhappy punters staring at the band and waiting for them to shut up.

Also, lots of free booze all day. That helped too.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1509912195' post='3402581']

Blue
[/quote]This is pretty much what I was going to say. We’ve played weddings on the understanding that we do what we do. Surprise, surprise when a good number the audience do not share the couple’s musical taste.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1510067268' post='3403689']
I'd' just direct them to the Alive network website and let them go through the bands on there.

One man's cheese is another man's entertainment.
[/quote]

Quite. I just can’t stand that corporate stamped out function band. Usually made up of professional musicians on rotation, playing note perfect renditions and dressed in whatever uniform the band leader has chosen.

Awful. Total cheese, regardless of the tunes chosen.

Give me a band playing with passion, that have obviously been playing together for years, playing their own versions of a mix of tunes across the decades. Awesome.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1510164942' post='3404431']

Quite. I just can’t stand that corporate stamped out function band. Usually made up of professional musicians on rotation, playing note perfect renditions and dressed in whatever uniform the band leader has chosen.

Give me a band playing with passion, that have obviously been playing together for years, playing their own versions of a mix of tunes across the decades. Awesome.
[/quote]

Agreed, and also a band where most of the members arent looking down at music stands most of the night.

[/quote]

There are a whole bunch of wedding bands in the middle of your binary. We play a lot of the soul/funk standards but we rearrange some, always keep a rocked-up edge & I for one never copy a recorded bass line unless it's the signature part of the song. We play with tons of passion, even on the numbers we don't screw around with. I play in originals outfits too & it's a different kind of fun but they're both about equal. I guess in my world it ain't so black & white, & I like that.

Edited by roceci

[quote name='roceci' timestamp='1510165192' post='3404435']

There are a whole bunch of wedding bands in the middle of your binary. We play a lot of the soul/funk standards but we rearrange some, always keep a rocked-up edge & I for one never copy a recorded bass line unless it's the signature part of the song. We play with tons of passion, even on the numbers we don't screw around with. I play in originals outfits too & it's a different kind of fun but they're both about equal. I guess in my world it ain't so black & white, & I like that.
[/quote]

Yes. Some bands are less cheesy.

[/quote]

There's value and hard work behind both types of bands.

Respect to both.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1510179653' post='3404552']

There's value and hard work behind both types of bands.

Respect to both.

Blue
[/quote]

There is. And there’s a bigger market for the first type and people will pay more. Cheese sells very well.

Usually made up of professional musicians on rotation, playing note perfect renditions.[/quote]

Jealousy?

The ability to hear parts and notes and play them live note perfect as recorded by the original artists requires a high level of skill and ability.

I don't have that ability and admittedly jealous of those that do.

A good example of this type of high level skill and ability can be seen with the premier Beatles tribute act The Fab Four.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1510187756' post='3404593']
Jealousy?...
[/quote]

Why so..? Whilst agreeing that those talent and skills are, indeed, of a high standard, that's not always what is wanted in an evening's entertainment. For a concert, maybe (and even then...), but for enjoying a wedding 'do', either on the dance floor or as a spectator, it's not systematically the 'note perfect' rendition that fits the bill, at least not for many; maybe even more so for the non-musicians having a great time. Jealous..? Of what..? :blink:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1510194009' post='3404601']

Why so..? Whilst agreeing that those talent and skills are, indeed, of a high standard, that's not always what is wanted in an evening's entertainment. For a concert, maybe (and even then...), but for enjoying a wedding 'do', either on the dance floor or as a spectator, it's not systematically the 'note perfect' rendition that fits the bill, at least not for many; maybe even more so for the non-musicians having a great time. Jealous..? Of what..? :blink:[/quote]

Maybe your not jealous. I am.

I'm jealous of Musicians that have this particular apptitude, ability and skill I don't have.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1510194009' post='3404601']

Why so..? Whilst agreeing that those talent and skills are, indeed, of a high standard, that's not always what is wanted in an evening's entertainment. For a concert, maybe (and even then...), but for enjoying a wedding 'do', either on the dance floor or as a spectator, it's not systematically the 'note perfect' rendition that fits the bill, at least not for many; maybe even more so for the non-musicians having a great time. Jealous..? Of what..? :blink:
[/quote]

Exactly. A band are usually there to entertain. Watching load of middle ages musicians staring at music sheets all night, with no real interaction between them makes for a very boring evening. Sometimes you are there to dance and not even look at the band, but i bet even in those situations a band having fun on stage will translate to a better evening for most people,

That’s generalising of course, and of course its not always the case.