Why become a member? ×

Gig bags - worth it???

bassbora

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1509807202' post='3401792']
Quite tempted by the "hard foam" gig bag/cases. They offer the protection of a hard case, with the weight of a gig bag.
[/quote] Sadowsky imo make the best soft hardcase. Of course they are made by someone else. Who I'm not sure.

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1509807202' post='3401792']
Quite tempted by the "hard foam" gig bag/cases. They offer the protection of a hard case, with the weight of a gig bag.
[/quote]

I got a hard foam case from gear4music, was around £30 I think. Had it a couple of years now, still works fine
even though it travels in the back of our tour bus.
It’s a shaped version, not that bulky and very lightweight whilst offering more protection than a gig bag. Great
compromise between case and gig bag for me, and excellent value.

Lots of great recommendations which are significantly less than the Warwick. The customer service will probably be equally better than that from Warwick.

Personally I rate both my Body Glove and Protection Racket gig bags very highly...I'd be reluctant to part with either.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1509793216' post='3401664']
The price of good gig bags has gone through the roof.
[/quote]

Agree - I bought my Mono Vertigo from Bass Gear when it was in Twyford and I think it cost me about £140 - they're now up to nearly £200. I've also got an iGig and I dread to think about how much they are now (don't think you can get 'em in the UK anymore?).

Thanks guys for all your replies. Just clear one thing up, I was never going to buy one of these gig bags just wanted to know how much they would cost and I thought I would share the craziness with you all.

I do have couple of flight cases and a hard case for my basses but for quick in and out gigs I prefer to have gig bags. Because the basses do not have interchangeable strap locks I prefer to have a dedicated gig bag for each bass (some of them share a bag) and in each bag is everything I would need for a gig. Extra strings, extra lead, tuner etc.

For my newest bass I will be looking at a new gig bag and will defo go through all the suggestions here to find this new bag.

I do have one of the old Warwick bags and I think I have had it for 20 years or so. It is awkward and the straps cut into your shoulder but its done me a great job and is still holding up perfectly all these years later.

I'm very happy with my Contego Protect Bag, not cheap but has inner protection to prevent the bass getting damaged by something falling on top of it without the weight of a hardcase:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/protec_contego_e_bass_case.htm?ref=search_prv_6

If i was looking for a cheap option i woud go for a Stagg Softcase, similar to the Sadowsky ones but obviously with lesser quality zippers and overal material:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/gator_foam_case_bass.htm?ref=search_rslt_stagg+bass+case_250314_3 (this is a Gator one but Stagg has one like this but even cheaper)

All cases i've refered to in my post will offer more protection than that leather W rippof and will worn out a long time after the W bag is in the can...

• 3 weeks later...

If you look closer, you will find that all the parts and other stuff included with their top end masterbuilt basses are insanely expensive.  Warwick have done this for years to premium their top end models and make it difficult to upgrade a lower model or another bass entirely.  Their brass nut used to be £150!!!  

If you look at their lower range stuff i.e. the parts and stuff that don't just come with the masterbuilt instruments, their prices are really reasonable.  It is just their way of keeping the exclusivity of the top models, which does suck for those who have those models I guess.  Then again, those who can afford £5k odd on a new Warwick...

The Leather case is not seriously marketed at the general public, hence the price.  The fabric rockcases/flightcases are, hence their reasonable prices.

That aside, my Mono Vertigo is worth every penny, and because of the extensive shock absorption tech for me I find it much safer than a hardcase for general use.

My Xotic jazz came with an Xotic branded Protec Contego, but the bass us not held securely in the case. The Mono vertigo is so much better in terms of protection and holding the bass secure in the gig bag, really like this bag, so easy to top load/unload in tight spaces. I still have a Hiscox hard case if it's traveling in a van?

Edited by MOSCOWBASS