Why become a member? ×

Schecter basses

Al Krow

I'm not aware that there is an 8 string version of the Model T? If there is I agree it would be a 'looker'.

The Schecter Stiletto I recently got, scratches my itch for 3 band EQ and neck through, whilst being surprisingly modest in weight.

6 hours ago, Al Krow said:

I'm not aware that there is an 8 string version of the Model T? If there is I agree it would be a 'looker'.

The Schecter Stiletto I recently got, scratches my itch for 3 band EQ and neck through, whilst being surprisingly modest in weight.

Model T is a 4string or 5string. Another 8string is the bolt-on Session Riot 8 . It is a natural ash body with black parts like the Model T. The neck-through Stiletto like yours probably sounds better. Imagine an 8 string bass alongside a 12 string gtr !

Edited by grenadillabama
spelling

On 21/12/2018 at 09:14, BreadBin said:

I have a proper hankering for an 8-string, I would be interested to know how you get on with yours @Al Krow :)

Managed to spend a little bit of time with the 8 string this week.

I do really like the core tone of the bass; it delivers a thumping low end and the bridge and neck pups provide good tonal variety.

I think the key to being able to use this as my only bass at a gig is going to be mastering playing just the normal 4 strings by themselves and then being able to add the octave strings to fatten the sound out when I want.

Here's a second clip (on neck pup) using a pick: 

Schecter8#02.WAV

Edited by Al Krow

On 23/12/2018 at 00:00, Cuzzie said:

Why not just play the fundamental and octave all the time?

Guitarist can shift what they play

Because 2 hours of octave-up added bass is not, for me anyway(!), what bass is about. 

Octave up can add some really juicy colour and variety, but it wouldn't be an "always on" part of my bass sound. 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, grenadillabama said:

Your sound is very clean and distinct ! Maybe if the bass were boosted and some mids cut a bit the high string would not come out . I like the high string . It sounds good now and I want an 8 string too !

Thanks! :) 

I find the EQ on the Stiletto 8 is pretty sensitive to adjusting low and mid but seems less so to the treble (maybe due to the age of the strings?). A boost to the bass EQ can literally get the windows rattling (via my Mesa M6 / VK 210 cab) in my basement!

On the clip posted above I had the bass and mid EQ set flat and treble boosted. The bass was straight into a Boss RC-30 for recording - so what you are hearing is the output straight from the bass rather than any overlay from the amp or cab.

Oh dear, I think I've just fallen in lust with a Schecter (again)...

STILETTO%20STAGE%205%20WHT%20TILT.png

Neck through

3 band EQ active / passive

35" scale

Ebony fretboard

MM pups (should be meaty and hum cancelling)

Wonder if I can persuade them to drop in their EMJ PJ in place of the neck MM pup? Now that would make for a glorious P/J...

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

I owned a Schecter Stiletto Custom-5 bass for a while and really liked it. There was a lot of talk about them at the time when I bought them and the fact they were built in Korea but set up and inspected in the USA and were quality instruments. I initially bought a Schecter guitar and was super impressed with the playability and quality of it that I decided to check their basses out.

A Schecter Stiletto Custom-5 came up quite cheap on eBay and I wasn't disappointed with it either. Set up and quality was really good, almost flawless aside from a tiny nick that the owner owned up to. It had EMG 40 HZ pickups which were really powerful from what I can remember. The neck was really nice and string spacing was spot on too. I sold it on in a moment of madness which I almost instantly regretted for a Japanese Jazz Bass which turned out to be a big disappointment. It looked identical to this ...

71D6XSyABCL._SY879_.jpg

I started playing more guitar shortly afterwards and vowed to get another one but never got round to it. I've seen a few for sale and almost pulled the trigger on a Stiletto Extreme but held off as I wasn't sure about buying another 5-string as I have four already.

Edited by WHUFC BASS
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, Aliwobble said:

I recently started gigging my old Schecter 004 again. Now that I am older and wiser, I appreciate it's subtle nature and high qualities.  Also, quite distinctive to look at - I have not seen another one around.

Pic please! :) 

• 6 months later...

Is there really no Schecter Thread yet ?

I own a beautiful old Schecter PJ bass from the 80's and I just love the feel of it as well as the sound ... especially if you select the P + the J pickup this is just like a force of nature that is blowing out of your amplifier. Very raw and barking with mucho cochones ;) The only downside of this bass is its weight. 

I am not a very experienced bass player so I was very surprised when I compared this passive PJ bass with my passive/active Sandberg bass that has two humbuckers. Even though the Schecter is passive it is killing the Sandberg. The Sandberg is not bad at all and it has its strengths but there is no way to reproduce the sound of the Schecter with the Sandberg electronics.

DSC_0057_01.JPG

Edited by DanTM
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, DanTM said:

Very raw and barking with mucho cochones ;)

[...]

The Sandberg is not bad at all and it has its strengths but there is no way to reproduce the sound of the Schecter with the Sandberg electronics.

DSC_0057_01.JPG

It's "cojones". Cochones sounds too much like colchones, which is a lot softer (it means "mattresses" 😛 )

That Schecter is beautiful, I love that look! 

I'm not sure that another bass not being able to sound like it is a measurement of anything other than... well, it's a different bass with different pickups and electronics, so no surprise there.

What makes the Schecter a much better bass than the Sandberg, for you? Is it just that it makes a sound that you prefer? Is it versatility? Is it built quality? 

Well, my Sandberg is the VM2 version with two MM style pickups and has a 2-band EQ preamp, with active/passive switching and vol/balance/bass/treble. So it is very versatile which clearly is a strength.

But compared to the Schecter the Sandberg sounds a bit ... muted, even if I fully turn down the basses and fully turn up the treble. At least in my ears. The Schecter is a treble monster with still enough bass to blast some heavy notes in your stomach.

Maybe you can say that the Sandberg with its 2 band EQ is more of an allrounder. A jack of all trades, master of none.

schectersandberg.jpg

Edited by DanTM

1 hour ago, Cuzzie said:

Pop a set of black labels in your Sandberg and you may think differently again

@DanTM Cuzzie knows a thing or two about both Bergs and pups. Worth checking out his suggestion - may well give your Berg a whole new lease of life. They are very well made basses. 

13 hours ago, DanTM said:

Well, my Sandberg is the VM2 version with two MM style pickups and has a 2-band EQ preamp, with active/passive switching and vol/balance/bass/treble. So it is very versatile which clearly is a strength.

But compared to the Schecter the Sandberg sounds a bit ... muted, even if I fully turn down the basses and fully turn up the treble. At least in my ears. The Schecter is a treble monster with still enough bass to blast some heavy notes in your stomach.

Maybe you can say that the Sandberg with its 2 band EQ is more of an allrounder. A jack of all trades, master of none.

schectersandberg.jpg

So it's a matter of sound, then, which to some degree is subjective (there's basses that left me cold that others went "ooooh" about) and can be addressed by using different pickups/preamp (if it mattered enough). 

Funny what you say about "master of all trades"... One of the most versatile basses I've owned was a Warwick Corvette $$: two MM pickups with individual switches for parallel/series/single coil, 2-band preamp... you could spend all night trying different sounds, and it never seemed to grab me, but then I got a single pickup Stingray and I was at home. Versatility is a nice thing to have, but not necessary. Give me one good basic sound, and I'll be happy with that and minor tweaks.

The reason I asked what made the Schecter so much nicer for you is that as far as I can tell, the Sandbergs are really nice, and if it's a matter of finding theright electronics for you on that bass, it may be worth experimenting a bit.

I'm waiting on a VM4 I ordered a few months ago... To be honest, I didn't spend much time thinking about the pickups for it. Being an order, I can't just go and try it first, so I just went with whatever standard electronics use these days, and I'll modify to taste if I think it needs it.

45 minutes ago, mcnach said:

I'm waiting on a VM4 I ordered a few months ago... To be honest, I didn't spend much time thinking about the pickups for it. Being an order, I can't just go and try it first, so I just went with whatever standard electronics use these days, and I'll modify to taste if I think it needs it.

There's been a full and frank discussion on Berg pups on this thread (and very likely to be a bit a sidetrack on our Schecter fanboy thread, which I know I'm as guilty as the next BCer of doing(!) :)). If I was buying another Berg, pups would be top of my list to get right: the 'standard' Delano pups were my only disappointment with an otherwise lovely TM4. 

Edited by Al Krow

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

There's been a full and frank discussion on Berg pups on this thread (and very likely to be a bit a sidetrack on our Schecter fanboy thread, which I know I'm as guilty as the next BCer of doing(!) :)). If I was buying another Berg, pups would be top of my list to get right: the 'standard' Delano pups were my only disappointment with an otherwise lovely TM4. 

Yeah, I'm familiar with that chat about pickups... but unless a pickup is remarkably bad, it comes down to personal preference very often, so the pickup you'd choose is not necessarily the one I'd prefer and viceversa. The various Sandbergs I tried (briefly) all seemed adequate, even those with Delanos (and like you I'm not a big fan of Delanos either, based on my limited experience of a couple of MM and P types, although I don't hate them either).

When I get my VM4, I'll hopefully like it enough as it is. If not... the fun may begin, I've got enough pickups, preamps and various bits and pieces in my collection to keep me busy for a while. But I'd rather just play the thing. Let's see... ETA was 'around September'... :)

Well, I guess I will throw in a set of m4 Black label pickups but not now. I have a Warmoth guitar and a 6 string Ukulele in the build at the moment so spending another 300 EUR for the pickups and the build in is not an option at the moment....at least if I want to keep the peace at home 😓

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, mcnach said:

The various Sandbergs I tried (briefly) all seemed adequate, even those with Delanos (and like you I'm not a big fan of Delanos either, based on my limited experience of a couple of MM and P types, although I don't hate them either).

Tbf I certainly didn't 'hate' the Delanos. It was more a case of finding them increasingly 'meh' as I experienced the punch and growl of other pups. When you've forked out a good chunk north of £1k on a bass, the last thing you want to be feeling about any bass is that it is 'meh'...

22 minutes ago, DanTM said:

... so spending another 300 EUR for the pickups and the build in is not an option at the moment....at least if I want to keep the peace at home 😓

Yup, you've hit the nail on the head at my angst at having to replace pups on an already expensive bass. But time for me to stop being a stuck record...

What genre of music are you mainly playing your Schecter for and how long have you had it?

Back on topic. Seamless 😁

Edited by Al Krow

The weight of the Schecter is starting to giving me some problems. Around 5,3 Kg (11,7 lbs) and even though I have a fat Minotaur strap my left shoulder starts to hurt. Any pro tips here or am I just starting to get old ? (33 years now)

Edited by DanTM