Why become a member? ×

Schecter basses

Al Krow

On 12/08/2019 at 01:18, DanTM said:

The weight of the Schecter is starting to giving me some problems. Around 5,3 Kg (11,7 lbs) and even though I have a fat Minotaur strap my left shoulder starts to hurt. Any pro tips here or am I just starting to get old ? (33 years now)

Weights, my friend.  Being bigger and musclier will help prevent this sort of thing.  Also massage can help relieve it.  Maybe get yourself checked over by a physiotherapist first to check that there is no underlying problem which is being brought out by the bass playing.

21 minutes ago, Aliwobble said:

Weights, my friend.  Being bigger and musclier will help prevent this sort of thing.  Also massage can help relieve it.  Maybe get yourself checked over by a physiotherapist first to check that there is no underlying problem which is being brought out by the bass playing.

I know where you are coming from on this, but I take slight exception.

Firstly You have people’s natural frames endomorph vs ectomorph as well as stature to consider, Gary Coleman is never having a 5kg bass in all likelihood.  Yes you can get stronger doing weights, but people may have pre existing injuries, conditions etc which you can’t throw weights at (but you hint at that).

Also what is probably more important are core stability exercises rather than pure weights, which often require the use of no weights at all, it has to be tempered a little...

6 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Firstly You have people’s natural frames endomorph vs ectomorph as well as stature to consider, Gary Coleman is never having a 5kg bass in all likelihood.  Yes you can get stronger doing weights, but people may have pre existing injuries, conditions etc which you can’t throw weights at (but you hint at that).

Also what is probably more important are core stability exercises rather than pure weights, which often require the use of no weights at all, it has to be tempered a little...

Yep, all valid points.  Perhaps yoga or Pilates? It really depends on what Dan feels most comfortable doing. The general principle here is that stronger muscles will be working more within their capacity, and will therefore give less pain, everything else being equal.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

36 minutes ago, Aliwobble said:

Yep, all valid points. 

Much as I dislike agreeing with Cuzzie on pretty much anything bass related (don't worry it's entirely mutual, I can assure you 😁), on this subject, given his professional background, there's no question Mr C definitely knows what he's talking about! 

Back to Schecters? :)