Why become a member? ×

Schecter basses

Al Krow

2 minutes ago, White Cloud said:

The branding on an instrument often gets in the way.

Schecter are certainly not one of the "trend" marques - but they make factory manufactured basses that are at least as well designed, built, great sounding and playable as anything else on the market at a comparable price...or much more. I always think that the name playing the instrument is more important than the name on the headstock in any case.

i would certainly have no hesitation in buying one if that was my thing.

Yes definitely. I've certainly had 'Fenderitis' since deciding to start looking at getting one a couple of months ago. I've looked at Laklands, G&L and others, which arguably could be 'better', and at least as expensive. This Schecter is the first thing I've looked at that has made me seriously consider a U-turn, and I haven't even touched one yet, which shows how much I like how it looks at least. If I was spontaneous and went by gut instinct, I'd be ok. Unfortunately I usually obsess for ages over what crisps to get from the petrol station. 

• Like 1

I'll have to confess I've got more than a little GAS for ONE of the following two Schecters ( @Cuzzie will no doubt be along in a minute and tell me to buy then both!). Both are Stiletto Studio neck through; the honey satin is fretless. The black satin most certainly isn't! :) 

STILETTO%20STUDIO%208%20STBLK%20TILT.pngSTILETTO%20STUDIO%205%20FL%20HSN%20TILT.png

Edited by Al Krow

4 hours ago, Horrorhiker said:

Thanks for the reply. The one I'm looking at is the active one. The session series are ash, with active EMGs: 

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/schecter-model-t-session-bass/110644?gclid=Cj0KCQiA2Y_UBRCGARIsALglqQ1RUlioiY1oQi454qviFHlx52KwkiY3HbITL-Mwl-dzqy20PPHbYGYaAgl8EALw_wcB

It has really got me in a  massive quandary as I am exactly in the middle of saving for the US Pro Precision (£1500), but I LOVE the look of the Schecter. A bass hasn't grabbed me visually like that for a long time, and the more I look into it, the more 'wow' I get. I like how it sounds on Youtube videos, and they seem to get almost universal praise. I've had a look and there is nowhere remotely round here to try one out. It's around £700, and I cant help thinking that I could buy this and a Sire Marcus Miller as a back up plus a whole load of beer for the price of just the Fender.  Worst case of GAS I've ever had. 

If the active model plays even half as well as a passive, then you're looking at a damn good bass. The main differences I think you'd need to watch out for are:

(i) neck profile - the Model T's neck is much more like a Jazz bass than a P. Wide and shallow, but very fast. Bit of a surprise at first, but it didn't take me long to warm to it.

(ii) The pickups. They're not Fender pickups, and they will always sound subtly different. Don't know how the EMGs will compare to the passive SD Basslines in my own Model T, but the "different" sound was no less satisfying than the Fender. And for comparison, I did put a Fender CS '62 RI pickup into my kit-built P bass copy a few years ago, and it now does "that" Precision sound very convincingly for a fraction of the price...so you could always pop one of those into a Squier or HB Precision as your backup and free up even more money for beer!

• Like 1

I spent a sunday morning in Westside's shop a couple of years ago, officially trying out AER amps.  But they sat me in a bas(s)ment that was lined with Schecter basses so I couldn't help but try a "few".  They are certainly very well made out of good quality materials and look really nice too.  However I wasn't overly impressed with the sound, which was rather dull and "generic" (characterless).  The ones I did like were those with the EMG pickups and a coil tap (effectively taking them to single pickups rather than Hs) - bit more life.

Some of the "dullness" may have been down to the AER amps which are very accurate but a bit flat sounding (not much "zing" unless you press all the colour and contour buttons) and the fact that my amp of the time was a big heavy Trace GP12SMX thing that had zing in spades (but a certain lack of subtlety or accuracy).

Anyways, a trip to Westside is a great idea, they were simultaneously helpful and non pushy, have a huge number of Schecter basses and will let you play with them until you're bored or buy one.

Given your list of past basses, I can't see you'd find a Schecter an upgrade mind; IMHO a stingray would knock the socks off any of them (but then, I like Wals and you don't much so ...)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

If the active model plays even half as well as a passive, then you're looking at a damn good bass. The main differences I think you'd need to watch out for are:

(i) neck profile - the Model T's neck is much more like a Jazz bass than a P. Wide and shallow, but very fast. Bit of a surprise at first, but it didn't take me long to warm to it.

(ii) The pickups. They're not Fender pickups, and they will always sound subtly different. Don't know how the EMGs will compare to the passive SD Basslines in my own Model T, but the "different" sound was no less satisfying than the Fender. And for comparison, I did put a Fender CS '62 RI pickup into my kit-built P bass copy a few years ago, and it now does "that" Precision sound very convincingly for a fraction of the price...so you could always pop one of those into a Squier or HB Precision as your backup and free up even more money for beer!

Excellent, thanks for the feedback. One of my concerns would be it being too pokey, but I'm a 1 sound kind of guy usually (at least live) so once its punched in either with the bass or amp, that'll do me. I read about the neck somewhere else actually so I think it comes as a suprise to others too. I had one of the Modern Player Dimensions once and it sounds like it had a similar sized neck, which is a good thing as that suited me very well. Thanks again. Since last night my Jeremy Vine swingometer is about 80% toward the Model T. 

9 hours ago, NickA said:

I spent a sunday morning in Westside's shop a couple of years ago, officially trying out AER amps.  But they sat me in a bas(s)ment that was lined with Schecter basses so I couldn't help but try a "few".  They are certainly very well made out of good quality materials and look really nice too.  However I wasn't overly impressed with the sound, which was rather dull and "generic" (characterless).  The ones I did like were those with the EMG pickups and a coil tap (effectively taking them to single pickups rather than Hs) - bit more life.

Some of the "dullness" may have been down to the AER amps which are very accurate but a bit flat sounding (not much "zing" unless you press all the colour and contour buttons) and the fact that my amp of the time was a big heavy Trace GP12SMX thing that had zing in spades (but a certain lack of subtlety or accuracy).

Anyways, a trip to Westside is a great idea, they were simultaneously helpful and non pushy, have a huge number of Schecter basses and will let you play with them until you're bored or buy one.

Given your list of past basses, I can't see you'd find a Schecter an upgrade mind; IMHO a stingray would knock the socks off any of them (but then, I like Wals and you don't much so ...)

Cheers Nick - which Westside branch did you pop into? I'm not sure the one in Denmark St has a particularly large stock, but I'll wander over at some point soon. 

Btw I've 'refreshed' the OP so that it's clear that it's a fellow BCer (and not me!) with that rather awesome list of past basses :) 

Ok looking like my Schecter journey is coming to an abrupt end!

The London Westside store is now 1/4 of the original size due to cross rail and they have NO basses in stock ('cos they sell a lot more 6 string guitars).

The 8 string would be a special order and would require a 20% non refundable deposit = nearly £200

They won't offer any discount so as not to undercut the stores they wholesale to.

So £200 at risk to try before I buy is too much of a punt. I'll pass and make do with a Digitech Mosaic instead for now and see what other brands have them in stock in the UK...

• Like 1

Denmark St.  But it was two or three years back.  Downstairs walls were lined with Shecters, which I'd never heard of at the time.  I used to love Denmark st, it was a magnet for wasting any free hours in London; pretty much all gone now and it seems that Crossrail is killing the last of it (and HS2 killing my favourite curry houses and a really good pub near Euston).  Anyway, enjoy the new bass - when you manage to get it.

12 hours ago, NickA said:

Denmark St.  But it was two or three years back.  Downstairs walls were lined with Shecters, which I'd never heard of at the time.  I used to love Denmark st, it was a magnet for wasting any free hours in London; pretty much all gone now and it seems that Crossrail is killing the last of it (and HS2 killing my favourite curry houses and a really good pub near Euston).  Anyway, enjoy the new bass - when you manage to get it.

The Bree Louise...I think that was probably my favourite pub in all of London, and I explored them pretty extensively throughout my 20s. Absolutely gutted that it's gone.

I have hit a bit of a snag. I was geared up for the Model-T session, but after a bit of research, was dissapointed to find that active basses don't work ideally with fuzz pedals. I haven't owned an active bass for about 20 years and had no idea this was the case. I have the option of trying the bass out, and changing pedal to perhaps a bass big muff deluxe, which facilitates a higher signal, but that's a lot of potential messing about for something I can't try first. I almost exclusively use a Big Muff for both my bands so it's a big consideration I have to make. Totally gutted as am literally in love with the Model T, to look at at least. 

• 4 months later...

Seriously, my active Schecter Model T sounds utterly awesome through my Darkglass Duality fuzz. Way better than my Fender De Luxe P in either passive or active mode. No idea why anyone would say actives don’t work well with fuzz.

1 hour ago, Lord Summerisle said:

Seriously, my active Schecter Model T sounds utterly awesome through my Darkglass Duality fuzz. Way better than my Fender De Luxe P in either passive or active mode. No idea why anyone would say actives don’t work well with fuzz.

Same with my Model T Session...

On 10/07/2018 at 22:53, Lord Summerisle said:

I thought this thread had died a quiet death. And I had been feeling GAS free for a whole two weeks, but then I scroll back and see pictures of this and suddenly my resolve is starting to crack all over again! Not helpful guys...

STILETTO%20STUDIO%208%20STBLK%20TILT.png

Btw - I agree with you; I don't have any issues with active basses and dirt pedals. The whole point of having an active EQ is that you can adjust it; and if it needs trimming with a fuzz pedal well surely that's very easily done?

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hmmm...although it looks great, the 5 string costs £1,400 (!!) and only has a 2 band EQ which is a deal breaker for me. 

The three way "tonal" selector switch feels a bit gimmicky to me; I'm guessing it's no more than a mix switch between pups. 

1 hour ago, BreadBin said:

I have a proper hankering for an 8-string, I would be interested to know how you get on with yours @Al Krow :)

Really enjoying it so far - although I've not played it nearly as much as I would have liked; partly 'cos I've not yet decided where I'm going to work into our material!  

I was fortunate in being able to find one used in very good condition, as the prices of Schecter basses new seem to have taken quite a hike.

Here's clip to give you a taster...

Schecter8#01.WAV

Edited by Al Krow
  • Thanks 1

I have wanted an 8-string for a while. The natural (ash) Schecter Riot 8 Session looks great to me because the maple fingerboard matches the body. I considered the short-scale Hagstrum 8 except they have changed back to slide switches instead of a rotary pickup switch . Now they look more like the 60s version. It may not have 8 saddles to adjust intonation . Both Schecters look good and cost about the same. The Model T seems good with a 2-position treble "dip switch" to change the frequency boosted or cut. It comes in a 4string and a 5string. 

Edited by grenadillabama
model T is not an 8string