Why become a member? ×

Remember that Pino Precision we all thought was a tad overpriced...

TrevorR

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1509920377' post='3402669']

Me neither. Do people think that if they buy a bass (for example) that was owned by a famous bass player that they will somehow, by osmosis, suddenly be able to play and sound like said player and instantly enjoy the fame and success of that player? Or what..?

Buying a phase pedal previously owned by [ROCK STAR] at an extortionate price isn't going to help you record and produce a million-selling album, is it? Unless you were on your way to recording such an album anyway, of course... ;)

Anyway, I like Behringer pedals. They're nineteen quid.
[/quote]

Not at all. These are bought by collectors who prize them for their rarity and as a piece of history. It’s unlikely they’ll ever be used.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1509920377' post='3402669']
Me neither. Do people think that if they buy a bass (for example) that was owned by a famous bass player that they will somehow, by osmosis, suddenly be able to play and sound like said player and instantly enjoy the fame and success of that player? Or what..?

Buying a phase pedal previously owned by [ROCK STAR] at an extortionate price isn't going to help you record and produce a million-selling album, is it? Unless you were on your way to recording such an album anyway, of course... ;)

Anyway, I like Behringer pedals. They're nineteen quid.
[/quote]

I like to think I once bought 3 of John Entwistle's basses to save them from sounding like him. ;-)

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1509955071' post='3402763']
Not at all. These are bought by collectors who prize them for their rarity and as a piece of history. It’s unlikely they’ll ever be used.
[/quote]

You seem very sure about that. I'm sorry to tell you that you're not always right - you consistently post opinion as fact. It's irritating.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1509959454' post='3402793']

You seem very sure about that. I'm sorry to tell you that you're not always right - you consistently post opinion as fact. It's irritating.
[/quote]

I apologise for irritating you. You do have a choice not to be irritated, it’s all in your mind.

You are telling me someone is going to spend £7k and then gig that unreliable effects unit? They’re £140 new for the vintage 70s one. The latest model is under £80.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1509966855' post='3402872']...
You are telling me someone is going to spend £7k and then gig that unreliable effects unit? They're £140 new for the vintage 70s one. The latest model is under £80.
[/quote]

That's what [i]you [/i]would choose to do, it would seem, but whoever buys this sort of stuff may well have a different [i]modus operandi[/i], and do things very differently. I doubt that the concept of '£80' comes into their equations.
What would [i]I [/i]choose to do.? I'd economise even the £80..! There, you see..? Another way of thinking. Folks can be very different; of that I'm pretty sure. :mellow:

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1509966855' post='3402872'] I apologise for irritating you. You do have a choice not to be irritated, it’s all in your mind. You are telling me someone is going to spend £7k and then gig that unreliable effects unit? They’re £140 new for the vintage 70s one. The latest model is under £80. [/quote]

Please don't assume that you know what or what is not in my mind, you have no idea. And I'm not telling you anything - but I [i]will [/i]say that (in my opinion) there are as many different types of collector as there are collections - there is no possible way you can speak for all of them.

You said once that you only post when you're absolutely sure that you're right. But no-one can be absolutely sure they are right, not all the time. There are facts and there are opinions - and there are many ways of posting both. Steve Browning quoted the same post that you did, but made his point in a way that made me laugh. There's the difference. Today's word is HUBRIS. :)