Why become a member? ×

New bass cab required... but I don’t know which one

iain_psb

Hi all,

Troubled individual seeking all in one cab. Please help.

I play in a Green Day tribute band, playing venues ranging from very small to open air very large.

I had an orange OB1 500, an Aguilar DB115 and 210 but they just weren’t doing it for me, on both sound and weight/size.

So I’ve bought an Aguilar TH500 and require a suitable cab to accompany.

At the moment I’m between Vanderkley and Barefaced.

Any thoughts? Anything I’m missing?

Unfortunately in the North East there’s very little to try in the shops (at least I can’t think of anywhere) so I’m reliant upon you fine folks.

Answers on a postcard, or just below.

Cheers!

How does the Aguilar sound with your cabs. ?
Not a fan of Green Day really but having youtubed them it sounds like they could be a loud band and you might want something that will compete with guitarist.
There's a guy on here selling a Bergantino HT rig that would blow your socks off.
I have the HT322 cab and nothing touches it for tone or quality in my opinion.
He's seling the 2x10 and 115 cabs. Worth a look. Fantastic price too.
If i didn't have my HT322 i'd be snatching his hand off for it.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

My cabs have since gone.

I never got to try them with the TH500 but it’s the size/weight issue as I’ve recently moved home and space/stair lugging is a pain.

Really want something lightweight and portable. The bergs look spot on but I imagine they’ll be weighty and large!

Bergantino have heavy and light cabs. They all sound great. I had the CN212 and thought it was one of the best sounding cabs I've owned. I also use a TH500.

I sold mine and upgraded to 2 Barefaced Super Compacts. Huge sound and loud enough to dominate any Green Day bands. The other cab I'd suggest you check out is the BF Four10.

You are gonna get a load of responses here, and I am a big fan of the Barefaced Supertwin.

I really suggest you email Alex Claber at Barefaced telling him what you want, you cannprob arrange a phone call and he will ask you your requirements, be warned it is a stern examination of what gear you have, what you want your sound to be like and venues you play etc. And he will come out with a good recommendation of the appropriate cab, he’s genuinely pretty spot on

Edited by Cuzzie

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1509752831' post='3401488']
You are gonna get a load of responses here, and I am a big fan of the Barefaced Supertwin.

I really suggest you email Alex Claber at Barefaced telling him what you want, you cannprob arrange a phone call and he will ask you your requirements, be warned it is a stern examination of what gear you have, what you want your sound to be like and venues you play etc. And he will come out with a good recommendation of the appropriate cab, he's genuinely pretty spot on
[/quote]

That's impressive. Good customer focus from the outset.

Dave

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1509752831' post='3401488']
I really suggest you email Alex Claber at Barefaced ... And he will come out with a good recommendation of the appropriate cab, he's genuinely pretty spot on
[/quote]

But with due respect to Alex, he's unlikely to be recommending a Berg, TKS or Vanderkley I suspect :P I'm sure you'll have already seen the [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/308403-vanderkley-are-better-than-barefaced-cabs-right/"]BF vs VK thread[/url] and some very useful comments in that also.

Why not make a day out and drive down to Bass Direct to try out the Vanderkley before buying if there's no other local options available for you.
That's what i did when looking for a new 5 stringer and ended up with my Dingwall NG2.

Glasgow to Warwickshire think it was circa 300miles each way but wife went with me and we had lunch on way down and dinner on way home. All in all a nice wee day out.

You'll be a bit closer so shouldn't be such a long drive.

Dave

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1509783616' post='3401552']
You could start by looking at the gear Mike Dirnt uses.
His cabs appear to mostly be 410 an 610.

[url="http://equipboard.com/pros/mike-dirnt"]http://equipboard.com/pros/mike-dirnt[/url]
[/quote]

I don't expect Mike Dirnt has to carry his cabs up the back stairs of a social club, or through a crowd of drunken punters and past a taxi rank to where his hatchback is parked on double yellow lines with the hazards on.

Just sayin'

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1509784088' post='3401555']

But with due respect to Alex, he's unlikely to be recommending a Berg, TKS or Vanderkley I suspect :P I'm sure you'll have already seen the [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/308403-vanderkley-are-better-than-barefaced-cabs-right/"]BF vs VK thread[/url] and some very useful comments in that also.
[/quote]

OP wanted advice on BF cabs, who better than Alex.
Once he has that recommendation he can then look elsewhere if he wants and compare.
It’s a good solid starting point

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1509784088' post='3401555']
[/quote]

That was an interesting read, but there was no comparison to the BF "Ten" series which I think should not be ignored.
I personally prefer the BF Two10 (or a pair of them) to the 12" speaker based offerings (owned a pair of BB2 at one point, plus tried the supermidget and owned a Compact too for a couple of years) or the VdK 210s or the TKS 1226 cabs I also used to own. I like their sound first, and size/weight are just a bonus.

[quote name='iain_psb' timestamp='1509744974' post='3401430']
Hi all,

Troubled individual seeking all in one cab. Please help.

I play in a Green Day tribute band, playing venues ranging from very small to open air very large.

I had an orange OB1 500, an Aguilar DB115 and 210 but they just weren’t doing it for me, on both sound and weight/size.

So I’ve bought an Aguilar TH500 and require a suitable cab to accompany.

At the moment I’m between Vanderkley and Barefaced.

Any thoughts? Anything I’m missing?

Unfortunately in the North East there’s very little to try in the shops (at least I can’t think of anywhere) so I’m reliant upon you fine folks.

Answers on a postcard, or just below.

Cheers!
[/quote]

If you are ‘missing’ any other make....I’ve been touring a MarkBass Ninja 2x12 which is the 800 watt 8 ohm cab, stand alone cab, working really well instead of my usual MB two 2x10 cabs. They also have a MarkBass NY 2x12 @ 800 Watts 4 ohm.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1509787189' post='3401587']

I don't expect Mike Dirnt has to carry his cabs up the back stairs of a social club, or through a crowd of drunken punters and past a taxi rank to where his hatchback is parked on double yellow lines with the hazards on.

Just sayin'
[/quote]

Yep, no roadies unfortunately! Plus, for the price of a fender neo 610, which is what he’s currently using I believe, I can get pretty much any cab as I think they’re around £1000!

cheers for all of the responses everyone. I’m definitely intrigued by the barefaced 10’s. All in all I think I just need to make a bloody decision! I guess I’m unlikely to get a bad cab, I just need to work out what’s exactly right for me. Then I’ll never have to sell it... hahahahaha

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1509787189' post='3401587']

Just sayin'
[/quote]
[quote name='iain_psb' timestamp='1509796956' post='3401701']
Yep, no roadies unfortunately! Plus, for the price of a fender neo 610, which is what he’s currently using I believe, I can get pretty much any cab as I think they’re around £1000!
[/quote]

Thanks JA. It never occurred to me that the OP won't be appearing at the O2 sometime soon. :P
I was more thinking about the sound that would come from the size and type of driver. So, would a 210 would possibly be a good choice?

i'm another north east basschatter with barefaced cabs (a pair of gen 2 midgets)

you'll find that we're a friendly bunch up here, Jack very kindly let me have a thrash through his midget/compact setup while i was trying to decide what to order, and there are a couple of other barefaced owners up here that would be happy to let you test out the cabs.

another manufacturer to consider is TKS, WaterofTyne is a huge fan and only lives just down the coast from you.

it's a shame that there isn't a bass bash lined up as that would give you a good opportunity to try a wide range of cabs.

i tried a th500 with my cabs at the last bash and was mighty impressed, unfortunately i was too skint to be able to buy one (and probably won't have the cash in the near future either)

barefaced have a map on their website with links to owners around the country, i'd be surprised if they weren't mostly basschatters!

Matt