Why become a member? ×

Phil Jones Bass - Speakon issue!

redd

Hi guys,

just bought myself a new Phil Jones suitcase combo. Just ordered a C4 extension cab from Thomann and while i was waiting thought i'd check out some old leads to see if I can use my existing speakon cables.

Here's my dilemma: tried to plug in a speakon cable to the suitcase amp and it doesn't fit. Well, it fits but doesn't turn to be precise.

I thought speakons were speakons were speakons, are there different types with different sizes?

any help would be most appreciated!

Thanks!

Andy

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1509827713' post='3401988']
Make sure you're using genuine Neutrik Speakon plugs. Speaklocs and other cheap substitutes don't always mate properly with the real thing (although the manufacturers claim they do, of course). PJB kit uses the genuine article.
[/quote]
[quote name='JazzBass4624' timestamp='1509870675' post='3402136']
+1.
I had locking issues with cheap speakon cables on both my LM and VdK cabs. I replaced all cable speakons by genuine Neutrik connectors and the issue was solved.
[/quote]

+2 Have just had similar problem this afternoon with non-genuine Neutrik. QSC power amp prefers the real deal.

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1509910210' post='3402553']
Your Suitcase + C4 will be a fine combination. I have two C4s and a 4B (the Suitcase is effectively a 4B with amplification added). The 4B and one C4 makes a great compact rig.
[/quote]

I used to own the old suitcase and a 4b. It was amazing in terms of tone. I got rid of it to save my back muscles and because at the time I needed a bigger rig. I always missed that phil jones clarity though. I'm really looking forward to having the entire rig!

Edited by redd

Note, some speakon connectors are also compatible with standard 3/4" Jack plugs.....
I'm not sure which type they are, but I've seen some folk just plug a Jack to Jack into their speaker cabs
Handy, I think - but none of my Speakon sockets or leads are compatible with this system.... if only they all were

Edited by Marc S