Why become a member? ×

instrument signal gain problem

Saved

Hi,i have a problem while recording.
What i do:
bass (passive)-zoom mb-60B-laptop,recording with audacity.
The problem is that i cant get normal gain signal from my bass.The signal is to low,i cant even hear it.
For example recording a song,then i mixing the original to make the "cover" and the track is 20 times higher than my bass.Any help?
thank you in advance

Suggest checking this methodically, if you haven't already:

Does your bass sound loud enough compared to other instruments, or through an amp? Just to establish whether there could be a problem with the bass itself - e.g. wiring issue where some signal is being lost to ground, or does the battery need replacing?

Next, check the cable isn't shorting out.

Finally the interface: are you using an instrument / DI input? Impedance mismatch could be an issue here. If you are trying to use a Line input, there may not be enough gain available. It sounds like you may need something to perform the function of a pre-amplifier, and boost your bass signal - whether that's through the interface, or via another unit, before the interface.

The only other thing I can note is that "unboosted" bass signal would indeed be quite low, especially if it's a) passive bass and B) you are comparing it to a mixed / mastered backing track, which is designed to be quite loud.

The bass is passive,no wiring issues,no vol knob.Goes in instrument input.Have tryed it with preamp pedal but get distorted sound.The preamp pedal (eden wtdi) is also DI,tryed the XLR microphone input but again i got low signal.
When i am recording my active bass straight to the instrument input,again i take low ignal but much higher than the passive bass (thats normal) but again when i am trying tu mix it with a song downloaded fro youtube for example,i must lower the track volume and add 2-3dB gain at the bass to much the levels.But this gain add,makes my bass sound horible