Why become a member? ×

Dave's World of Fun Stuff

Bigwan

I've been aware of Dave for some time but he always seemed fairly harmless. Was just watching something else and one of Dave's videos appeared in "Up Next" with him looking at a MIM '57 RI P bass.

After about a minute I started skipping through the rest of the video (and his 3 subsequent videos about the same bass) to just confirm my opinion. This man is an absolute idiot! It is a real worry that people would watch his output and take him seriously... Opinions?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIG1ejlk-18

Totally not a Rick fan (although I had my first positive Rick experience recently I would never own one).

It's the total inaccuracy of his content that offends me really, from "this bass won't work with these strings" to setting the action of the bass by measuring the radius on top of the strings... I have my doubts that there was anything wrong with the pickup in the bass since it was fine except for the tone control. Does sound good with the Bill Lawrence in there though! But it looked like he was happy to leave the bass with the pickguard up in the air...

Dave is great, I have followed his videos since 2013. He is quite opinionated and does take the pi55 constantly though, so he is an acquired taste.

He doesn't show everything in every video, so there are often jumps in the sequence of work - after you watch quite a few you'll see it all.

• Like 1

He's fine. The way he talks you'd have to take everything he says with a pinch of salt. That or you'd need to declare yourself incurably gullible.

If he spoke with received pronunciation then he'd be dangerous. Heeheehee, like Valerie Singleton with a blunderbuss.

I do agree though that it is worrying if people take what they see on YT seriously, your good self excepted.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1509725187' post='3401232']
He's fine. The way he talks you'd have to take everything he says with a pinch of salt. That or you'd need to declare yourself incurably gullible.

If he spoke with received pronunciation then he'd be dangerous. Heeheehee, like [b]Valerie Singleton[/b] with a blunderbuss.

I do agree though that it is worrying if people take what they see on YT seriously, your good self excepted.
[/quote]

Now I'm confused: thought he was Dave not Blue Peter....

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1509717923' post='3401166']
This man is an absolute idiot! It is a real worry that people would watch his output and take him seriously... Opinions?
[/quote]

I'm not sure I'd go as far as calling him an absolute idiot! He can BBQ a steak, that's for sure! ;)
Is he 100% accurate with everything he says and does.... No.... Does he normally end up with a good result... Yes!

I watch the "Pretend-o-caster" video at least once a week. It's probably my favourite Dave video. Has me in stitches every time I watch it.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0hlbXFQaXM"]Fender Pretendocaster Setup[/url]

DISCLAIMER: I'm wearing a "Dave's World of Fun Stuff" T-shirt whilst typing this. LOL.

• Like 1

[quote name='clivem' timestamp='1509755878' post='3401501']
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umf7-57-tXo"]Best of Dave's World of Fun Stuff (Funny Moments)[/url], also worth a watch if you've not seen it.... LOL
[/quote]

That gave me some LOLs, ROFLs, and LMAOs :lol:

Dave can be quite funny - particularly liked his Rickenbacker & Ibanez Rickenfaker vids. Not entirely sure what's the joke about the Strat copy though - actually looks like quite a nice Partscaster someone's put together but lacked the skills (and string trees!) to set up properly. Dave seems to imagine a Fender sticker would automatically make it better though. :rolleyes:

Continuing the topic of loudmouth Canadians who polarise opinions, I can wholeheartedly recommend [url="https://www.youtube.com/user/SpectreSoundStudios"]Spectre Sound Studios[/url] - particularly if you're an easily offended metal bassist. NSFW.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1509798972' post='3401720']
People tend to like these rant type video bloggers until they pick on the thing they like.
[/quote]

I didn't really hear any ranting, just utter nonsense being talked...