Why become a member? ×

Oscillator/Synth/VCO pedals (analogue)

Quatschmacher

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

So you decided whether to pull the trigger on the FMeron or not, now that you're getting all chummy with Taylor B|? If so, I'm looking forward to A/Bing it with the PM2 and Cameron's Glou Glou acquisition on 'Black Friday' which may or may not coincide with a certain bass player's birthday! :drinks:

To be honest, I’m more interested in the Subterranea out of the two but will also give the FMeron a try. Probably best to order all at once.

I need to hold off buying stuff until the 24th to see if any of the things I’m interested in come up in offers. I wonder if Iron Ether will have a sale… Still want to get the two Moogerfoogers too. 

I might have to make some decisions on the filters I currently have and list some. The Fwonkbeta is up for sale, but only because I can cop those sounds with my Enigma with a bit of work tweaking knobs. It’s a shame you didn’t have time to stick around and play it on Saturday. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - had an email today saying 17th or 18th Dec.

Actually it's been too long a wait and I've decided to make use of the SA Manta on my mini board instead! Bax have just refunded me in a full, which is kinda good as I can put the monies towards a bass trade I'm doing tomorrow instead.

You can sell me yours second hand next year Darren, when you've decided you're bored with it (I'm claiming first dibs ahead of Q and Cam!) :) 

Edited by Al Krow

13 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Hi - had an email today saying 17th or 18th Dec.

Actually it's been too long a wait and I've decided to make use of the SA Manta on my mini board instead! Bax have just refunded me in a full, which is kinda good as I can put the monies towards a bass trade I'm doing tomorrow instead.

You can sell me yours second hand next year Darren, when you've decided you're bored with it (I'm claiming first dibs ahead of Q and Cam!) :) 

I’ve already told Peter I’ll be taking yours off your hands once you’ve discovered it doesn’t track down to a low E xD 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CameronJ said:

I’ve already told Peter I’ll be taking yours off your hands once you’ve discovered it doesn’t track down to a low E xD 

I’d say I’d fight you for it but you’d whup my donkey!

(OK the site’s autocorrect/censorship is freaking me out!)

Edited by Quatschmacher

1 hour ago, Quatschmacher said:

This is worth throwing into the mix:

Sonuus i2M musicport MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005PM4UK4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_KsyiAbJZZ4ES1

Basically you could then hook up to any MIDI-enabled synth and play it with your bass. 

I used to own one. To be honest I didn’t use it much and sold it a while back. Would much rather use dedicated hardware/pedals.

59 minutes ago, dodge_bass said:

Which Glou-glou pedal? They look amazing. 

I though the Sonnus was very poor and a waste of money....

Went for the Avant Garde in the end (dual envelope follower) as I can use the CV in for crazy LFO if needed.

Thanks for your opinion on the Sonuus.

7 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Went for the Avant Garde in the end (dual envelope follower) as I can use the CV in for crazy LFO if needed.

Thanks for your opinion on the Sonuus.

Cool. Would love to hear some sound clips / video footage of it in action. It looks amazing! 

1 hour ago, elephantgrey said:

I have a sonuus b2m that I got as part of my setup to play my Gameboy as a synth. The tracking between the b2m and the Gameboy is a bit tempermental. While I don't think this is entirely the b2m's fault I do think that there should be a better pedal-based solution for this bass to midi thing by now.

'To play my game boy as a synth'....literally no words for this. Possibly the best sentence I've read all year. HOW DO YOU DO THIS? :)

3 minutes ago, dodge_bass said:

'To play my game boy as a synth'....literally no words for this. Possibly the best sentence I've read all year. HOW DO YOU DO THIS? :)

I use a flash cartridge (like a normal Gameboy game cart. but with a usb or microSd slot) to run a software called LSDJ. lSDJ is like a DAW, letting you programme notes for the GBs soundcard to play. It has just 4 channels, 2 pulse channels (square wave), a wave channel (custom waveform/drums) and a noise channel (just filtered white noise).

I then use a little box called LSDJ-MC2 to send midi into the GB via one of those cables used to trade Pokémon. With this you can sync LSDJ to midiclock, or make any of the 4 channels play notes send over midi. 

If you have a way to change the notes your bass plays (b2m or an industrial radio bass etc.) you can the make the GB play notes with your bass.

TL;DR: get a Flash Cartridge, run LSDJ on it, get an LSDJ-MC2 and you can make a Gameboy a synth.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, elephantgrey said:

I use a flash cartridge (like a normal Gameboy game cart. but with a usb or microSd slot) to run a software called LSDJ. lSDJ is like a DAW, letting you programme notes for the GBs soundcard to play. It has just 4 channels, 2 pulse channels (square wave), a wave channel (custom waveform/drums) and a noise channel (just filtered white noise).

I then use a little box called LSDJ-MC2 to send midi into the GB via one of those cables used to trade Pokémon. With this you can sync LSDJ to midiclock, or make any of the 4 channels play notes send over midi. 

If you have a way to change the notes your bass plays (b2m or an industrial radio bass etc.) you can the make the GB play notes with your bass.

TL;DR: get a Flash Cartridge, run LSDJ on it, get an LSDJ-MC2 and you can make a Gameboy a synth.

This is one of the best things I’ve read in a long time!

also, @Quatschmacher, I agree with EG’s statement earlier re: temperamental tracking on the b2m/i2m. It wasn’t anywhere near reliable enough for me to even consider wanting to use it live. As a studio tool, with the opportunity to take your time editing/tracking/cleaning up takes, it might be more viable. Even then, I’d rather just use a dedicated MIDI keyboard. I guess for someone without any desire or ability to play keys the i2m might work out for them.

Edited by CameronJ

Guys, you need to add the Data Corrupter by EarthQuaker Devices to the list. I got some insane sounds out of it when testing one today.

It'd take a while to learn everything it can do and took me a bit to get more controlled sounds out of it. I wish I’d had time to run it into a filter.

@CameronJ, have you tried one of these?

Edited by Quatschmacher

On 01/12/2017 at 16:37, Quatschmacher said:

This is worth throwing into the mix:

Sonuus i2M musicport MIDI Converter

I had a B2M but the tracking wasn't great and the latency was massive. OK if you want ambient type slowly changing sounds, utterly useless if you're trying to replicate Aint Nobody or Papa Dont Preach. The i2M is supposed to be better but not a lot better.