Why become a member? ×

Oscillator/Synth/VCO pedals (analogue)

Quatschmacher

After playing with the Future Impact and loving the possibilities but being a bit disappointed by the feel due to latency and tracking difficulties I am on the lookout for an analogue pedal which can generate various waveforms from my bass’s signal for the purposes of creating synth tones. I’m aware of the Moogerfooger Freqbox (anyone here used it?). What else is out there? Something which could replicate the Minimoog D’s ability to switch octaves and have multiple oscillators would be great. Does such a thing exist?

I couldn't see this pedal listed on the [url="https://ironether.com/"]Iron Ether website[/url] yet, so must be very hot off the press? Their pedals all seem to be around the $235 to $245 mark, so likely the same in £ with shipping and VAT and duty on top.

[u]But for that you get:[/u]
[s][analogue?][/s]
octave down [i]and up[/i]
FM
envelope filter with up sweep[i] and reverse[/i] sweep
ability to clean blend
some insanely attractive synth sounds

So actually for what it does (and by way of comparison my Aggie FT, which has a fraction of the FMeron's capability, is £216 new), I'd say this could well be great value for money and yup I've got very serious pedal GAS (and currently also for a Malekko Scrutator)!

Guys, you're not being at [i]all[/i] helpful! :)

Edited by Al Krow

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1509789104' post='3401605']
I fear I may have had a serious hand in corrupting you, Al :lol:
[/quote]

...errr like [i]totally[/i] with regard to the Malekko (and a couple of the Aggies on my board). I'm blaming Cuzzie and dB for my Manta for my 2Notes. To be fair I'm loving each and every one of them.

On the plus side I'm getting a 2 month free loan of the Malekko from you when we meet up with Q in London next weekend (and anyone else who's around in the Big Smoke are very welcome to join us!).

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1509789412' post='3401613']
Don't know if it's analog Al, many of his pedals are digital.
[/quote]

Ah ok - and that would make sense. I'll edit that out of my earlier post. Doesn't change my GAS levels for this pedal though, unfortunately! You should be on a commission for these guys and Josh Broughton as their UK rep...:)

Edited by Al Krow

@Q - So if you could only go for one synth pedal would it be the ultra compact [url="https://www.banananaeffects.com/products/matryoshka"]Bananana[/url] or the [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aatqpmztb60"]FMeron[/url] or neither / something completely different - as I see you're really after an analogue pedal, due to latency and tracking issues?

I'll have to admit the FMeron has turned my head in way that the Bananana didn't, but that maybe just down to a much better YouTube review? Based on what I've heard - I just feel that the FMeron has a synth sound that I would actually [i]use[/i] on some of our 80s cover tracks in a way I am struggling to visualise with the Bananana.

Edited by Al Krow

If you really want decent synth sounds for covers, a MIDI pickup would be the way to go. Then you have the whole world of synth modules open to you, or even running software synths from an iPad, all with flawless tracking.

I have a Godin A4 Ultra fretless that has one built in but I've never tried it!

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1509799023' post='3401721']
If you really want decent synth sounds for covers, a MIDI pickup would be the way to go. Then you have the whole world of synth modules open to you, or even running software synths from an iPad, all with flawless tracking.
I have a Godin A4 Ultra fretless that has one built in but I've never tried it!
[/quote]

That sounds complicated! Remember I'm only just passed the stage of managing to successfully use a Smooth Hound (and six months ago the only pedal in my possession was a Zoom MS-60B that was just being used as a tuner and very occasional tremolo)! :D

Edited by Al Krow

The new Iron Ether is a very exciting release, for sure! Looks like it might cover a lot of the ground that I was using the Subterranea and then some! Zach already said in his review but this looks like a unique synth pedal and I'm pretty surprised to see that such a thing was even possible.

I almost certainly will be picking one up in the future, Taylor never fails to amaze!

Looks like there's a bit of a head of steam picking up around this pedal. We could maybe think about putting in a 'bulk order' if several of us are looking to get this and the only option is get directly from the US? That maybe would allow us to negotiate a discount on purchase and some savings on transport costs? Just a thought - but I'm seriously interested too. I'd be happy to coordinate unless someone else is a dab hand at US imports (e.g. dB or DB? - just realised we have two BC pedal experts with same avatar initials! :))

Hi Zach, cool to see you're present on this forum! Will definitely keep an eye on the IE site, Taylor might have to give you comission on all the sales of these.

Just want to take a quick moment to let you know that you are probably one of the best pedal-guys on youtube. I picked up your ep on CDbaby recently, have you got plans to release more in future?

Sorry for the derail, back to pedal-lusting now...

This is pretty cool, thanks for alerting me to this Danny.

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1509788915' post='3401602']
I couldn't see this pedal listed on the [url="https://ironether.com/"]Iron Ether website[/url]
[/quote]

It is on the website, it’s just not listed under “pedals” on the drop-down menu but rather it has its own section:

https://ironether.com/pedals/fmeron/

Edited by Quatschmacher

[quote name='Dapper Bandit' timestamp='1509815967' post='3401860']
Hi Zach, cool to see you're present on this forum! Will definitely keep an eye on the IE site, Taylor might have to give you comission on all the sales of these.

Just want to take a quick moment to let you know that you are probably one of the best pedal-guys on youtube. I picked up your ep on CDbaby recently, have you got plans to release more in future?

Sorry for the derail, back to pedal-lusting now...
[/quote]

Thanks for the compliments and the download! I'll hopefully put together some more tracks, and compile them into a second EP soon.