Why become a member? ×

When you write a song and then years later...

Twigman

We've not done much band stuff lately, maybe a rehearsal every 5 or six weeks or so just to keep in touch.
We have done the odd bit of work on the never ending album recording process but we've not been together in the same room for a while...

Anyway - emails start flying about this week and it's decided we'll meet up next week and do a 4hour session....

thing is the singer has decided he wants us to rehearse an instrumental I wrote about 5 years ago with a view to putting it on the album and playing it live.....

I can hardly remember it.
I am expected to come to rehearsal and teach everyone their parts.
I don't even know my own!
I haven't got a scooby how to play the keys or the guitars.....
It was one of those bits of music where you play a riff into your DAW then improvise over the top of it on other instruments and comp what you've got together into something that seems to have form and structure....

Why can't the band decide they want to use my stuff when it's fresh and I can vaguely remember what key it's in?

Ever find yourself in this kind of pickle?

A while back I caught myself humming a melody, and thought to myself 'That's nice; I like that..." It was a fair while later, in listening through a few Soundcloud efforts that I came across a piece with that melody; I'd written it..! Not much idea as to why it popped back into my head, but pleased as Punch that I'd found the source. I put it down to getting old, though. What's [i]your [/i]excuse..? ;)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1509708287' post='3401042']
If you've done it on your DAW then you'll be able to go back on listen to each part solo'd to work out what is playing what.
[/quote]
I'm not sure I've still got the project.
If the band reject them then there's no point in keeping them IMO.
It was 5 years ago
DAW has had a hardware refresh since then....

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1509710475' post='3401072']
I'm not sure I've still got the project.
If the band reject them then there's no point in keeping them IMO.
It was 5 years ago
DAW has had a hardware refresh since then....
[/quote]

I keep everything that has developed far enough for it to be worth committing to tape of disk. You never know when it will be useful.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1509717024' post='3401149']
Every "song" is an instrumental until it has some lyrics written for it.
[/quote]

If thats the way you write. I often come up with a lyric or a melody first, on an acoustic guitar, then its a song that needs instrumentation. :D

I have an entire albums worth of stuff I wrote some years back, complete songs of drums, keys, bass and guitars, recorded back on Cuebase 1 and an 8 track reel to reel, neither of which I still have, I have them on the media player, we still listen to them sometimes but I have absolutely no idea what I played, the sounds I used or basically anything for them, I have played them to a view people who have said I ought to do something with them....err I think not, life is too short to start trying to work out everything I played!

I have a bag of songs that I wrote years ago and have been re-recording some of them recently.
I have some sequenced parts that I have re-used from the original recordings.
Playing along with a few of them has been a utter trial, as - as someone else said earlier - they now feel like they were written by someone else.
Old cover versions I have tarted up in the same fashion were much easier.