Why become a member? ×

A Little History Lesson

blue

[quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1509911950' post='3402577']
I always thought that the Beatles were a pretty good business model........

:)
[/quote]

I know Brian negotiated 10k for 3 appearances on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1964.

More than most folks were making in a year at that time.

Personally I think Brian could have gotten more.

Blue

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1509915859' post='3402612']

My point being that you are not 'here' , you are still back 'there' :D
[/quote]

Maybe

I'm 64, and Ed's music, even though I haven't heard any of it, is not my music.

His fans are young people it's their music. They're there, I'm not.

I think we're on the same page.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1509912484' post='3402584']
Personally I think Brian could have gotten more.[/quote]

Brian Epstein was a terrible manager.

Some US business men came over to see him to negotiate a deal for providing Beatles merchandise. The first thing Epstein said was "we won't accept anything less than 7 1/2%." These guys were expecting to start haggling at around 30%.

Epstein was totally out of his depth from day 1.

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1509904387' post='3402504']
It's the use of MOST influential that I object to.
They were influenced by Dylan to write more interesting lyrics; Dylan was influenced by them (and many others!) to go electric.
They would have been influenced by the psychedelia of the likes of the Electric Prunes to produce their later stuff (see the Nuggets and Pebbles albums series for examples). It's not like they invented rock'n'roll!
Meanwhile you've got the whole of black music to ignore as the MOST influential on rock and pop; I spose Chuck Berry, Little Richard et al had no influence on anybody.
Or for that matter, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, or Robert Johnson or a host of other blues men did nowt to change music.
Or James Brown, Motown, Hendrix, George Clinton/Bootsy, Sly and the Family Stone, Africa Bambaata etc.
It's ridiculous to say someone is the MOST influential; it's like saying Dali is the most influential artist, or Charles Dickens the most influential author;
Everybody is influenced by all sorts of stuff, including the Beatles; nobody lives in a bubble, and most importantly, it's not a bleedin' competition!
[/quote]

Great post.

You are the [i]most[/i] influential poster in this topic.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1509911660' post='3402572']
I would have to say I am more a huge fan of The Beatles but not necessarily their music.

I can't think of four names that naturally roll off the tongue more than;

John, Paul, George & Ringo.

Blue
[/quote]

Careful now. That's close to admitting to being a groupie!

Heeheehee

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1509897157' post='3402397']
I give myself kudos and credibility for all sorts of stuff all the time.

I think I was 9 or 10 years old. I had their records and knew I wanted in on all if it. the beat, girls, the fashion, the attention, I wanted to be cool. They opened the door to all that for me. And if history serves right I wasn't alone.

Blue
[/quote]

I credit you for embedding yourself in the colours of the US flag on your avatar. Subtle yet patriotic. Good one!

I think all musicians are influenced by many others. The difference here is that the majority of musicians don't influence others in the same way as a well known or famous band.
Just as an example the Electric Prunes i've not heard off but because the Beatles were more famous ie in the charts and media at the time i know of their music.

My point being that it takes a famous well known band to change the way people see music and to influence the masses.

Dave

Lots of great insights and knowledge shared in this thread.

Especially since my main reason for posting it was to share the YouTube clip showing John's clear cut blatant response regarding the disk jockey that had stopped playing The Beatles records.

Thanks

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1510000401' post='3403194']
...my main reason for posting it was to share the YouTube clip showing John's clear cut blatant response regarding the disk jockey that had stopped playing The Beatles records...
[/quote]

Nutters of that calibre are not news to us Brits Blue. Glad you put the link up. I have the four segments saved for my grandkids.