Why become a member? ×

ampeg pf-500

XoSo

Hmmmm, difficult one, I had one in 2011 and it was great, 3 hour rehearsals, hour long gigs, day long recording sessions no problems. Moved it on. Fast forward a couple of years, bought another, didn`t make it through the first rehearsal before a burning smell and smoke made guest appearances. If you get a good one they`re great, but it rather put me off of them. Not heard of any issues re the 800 version though, so may be a safer bet.

Likewise, I've had a couple of PF350s and they were great; never had an issue. I got the second as a backup after reading the horror stories of the PF500, but all was good. I had one mounted in one of the fliptop cabs, and one loose; both were regularly gigged without any problems whatsoever.

IMO, the 350 has a much better voiced mid control too.

There have been a fair few threads stating the reliability issues were fixed. Granted not as many as the amount of threads early on saying these kept packing up. I'm on my second one and it is still going strong.

*first one was only sold on to fund an upgrade to the Ampeg PF50t (& I know the guy who bought it, he gigs every week and still uses it).

Given it’s been a few years since the PF heads were released, I’d say it’s a fairly safe bet that the dodgy ones have all reared their ugly heads by now and were either replaced by Ampeg or swiftly sentenced to the dustbin. Certainly any shop-bought new ones will be fine.

[quote name='XoSo' timestamp='1509654608' post='3400671']
Anybody know if the reliability issues that these suffered when first released has now been sorted? Looking to buy one but have heard loads of horror stories about the early ones cutting out.
[/quote]
I've had one for several years now with no issues

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1509657012' post='3400701']
Hmmmm, difficult one, I had one in 2011 and it was great, 3 hour rehearsals, hour long gigs, day long recording sessions no problems. Moved it on. Fast forward a couple of years, bought another, didn`t make it through the first rehearsal before a burning smell and smoke made guest appearances. If you get a good one they`re great, but it rather put me off of them. Not heard of any issues re the 800 version though, so may be a safer bet.
[/quote]

Do you happen to know the year of manufacture of the one that failed?

I recall reading that the issues were resolved some years ago. I have one from 2015 and it’s been fine.