Why become a member? ×

Stage gear

Nicko

As a weekend warrior playing occasional gigs at the dog and duck, what should I be wearing instead of the ubiquitous (and much frowned upon in these forums) jeans and a vaguely music related tee shirt?

Genre is 90s/00s indie.

I'm going for us all wearing khaki warehouse coats for load in /load out and then on stage black bottom half and white uppers. No prescription on what they are, but I'll draw the line at someone wearing black speedos and a white string vest.

I'm going for an Eton collar evening shirt and cut off combats. It might work :P

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1509632472' post='3400465']
Other band's T shirts ?? Never , never , never. Regularly I change out of one into something else to play. The punters wear band T shirts - the moment you step on a stage you're an artist , not a punter.
[/quote]

Very much this.

IMO the same goes for anything with an obvious and visible brand logo on it. Unless of course said brand are paying you a sh*t load of money to wear it.

Other band's T shirts ?? Never , never , never. Regularly I change out of one into something else to play. The punters wear band T shirts - the moment you step on a stage you're an artist , not a punter.
[/quote]
[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1509634172' post='3400482']
Very much this.

IMO the same goes for anything with an obvious and visible brand logo on it. Unless of course said brand are paying you a sh*t load of money to wear it.
[/quote]

Ah, BC. You never fail to tell me what I should not do, but fail to answer the question of what I should do.

OK then. Wear black. Unless you are the focal point of the band, something simple and black always works. No obvious logos, band or otherwise and I would have said no trainers well, except for 90s and 00s indie trainers are fine. So long as they are dark. Preferably black.

I don’t have an issue with band members wearing t shirts from other bands, it has happened for decades all the way up to the greatest artists. Wearing one for your own band is just sad though. I have a few t shirts with more politically motivated t shirts that I sometimes wear (awaits abuse) for causes that are close to me. I also have a couple of t shirts with a little known Banksy and one by favourite artist SPQR and they tend to get the most use.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1509638745' post='3400535']
OK then. Wear black. Unless you are the focal point of the band, something simple and black always works. No obvious logos, band or otherwise and I would have said no trainers well, except for 90s and 00s indie trainers are fine. So long as they are dark. Preferably black.
[/quote]

I think I can manage that, at least dark colours are slimming. My preferred shoe would be a Vans Old Skool, which comes with a white stripe, but otherwise my Squier 70s re-issue P Bass is black, with a black pickguard. Colour in the form of a big yellow Markbass logo on the cab might be difficult to avoid. My US PB is black with a white pickguard. If I'm gonna hide in the shadows perhaps I should change it?

Wear what fits with the style of music or occasion. Number one rule is not to look like a shile of pite. People may have paid money to see you. Make a bit of an effort to entertain them.
Many years ago a fellow band member had been building a fireplace and came straight to the gig without changing. Imagine the love child of Compo and Selwyn Frogget on guitar and you'll get the idea,
Not good,

Black is good for indie, black skinny jeans, converse or DMs, t-shirt with a black fairly baggy shirt over that. Couple of black leather bangle-type things on your wrists for extra effect if required, but don`t go over the top, less is more authentic.

[/quote]

Couldn't agree more Doc!

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1509642698' post='3400564']
I was trying to stand out so I used to wear a bright yellow suite. It worked and I've still got it upstairs. Don't know why, but it doesn't fit anymore!

That was long before the 90's.
[/quote]

Its a well known fact that clothes shrink while stored for long periods in wardrobe's. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Id avoid black. In badly lit venues and minimal band lighting you can easily disappear (despite what youd think). We did it in a function band - thought we looked great....then saw photos and videos of us...just looked like 4 heads moving about as we were all in black against a black background.

Id be bold and go for decent striking colours.