Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVT 8x10

uk_lefty

For the first time last night I used an Ampeg SVT that hadn't been thrashed to death. A glorious, tall standing behemoth that excited the entire band as we tried out a new rehearsal room site. The amp had the look and feel of a 70's radio but was in perfect condition, probably brand new and retro looking.
When I've used these before I've always found I needed to really crank the volume and stand quite far back just to be heard in the mix. I have never been able to get clarity and even tone across the range (I like to fly around the fret board) and I just couldn't get rid of the clanky-ness in the sound. That would have been great for hard rock or punk but my band plays a range of covers and the time became, for me, annoying quite quickly. I should add I was playing a p bass with flats, which must have put in some "clank" but I just couldn't dial it out. To fill out my sound I had to use my pre amp pedal, something I don't think I should need with a top of the range amp.
Am I doing this wrong?? How do I dial out the clanky-ness, and is a clean tone at all possible with these? Will be taking my jazz to the next session in case that makes any difference.

This is why I have always favoured 15s. It's just my opinion, but I think 10s react far quicker than 15s and so they tend to capture a lot of the noise made by your physically playing the bass. In my experience, 15s are a lot more forgiving.

There is absolutely no science behind that at all but I never enjoy playing through 10s for the very reason you describe.

My gig rig has been two fifteens for quite a while now... Just gone down to one fifteen. I really want to love the SVT at the rehearsal room, but first I just need to make it useable! Used an old and badly treated version in the past and with my jazz I could get it sounding ok but never clean.

IMO the rehearsal room is for working the band together as a unit, not about the sound.

I toured with an SVT and even in impossible places it always sounded great, but then it always sounded like an SVT. That was my sound back then but if it's not yours then you could be disappointed. I've never found an Ampeg that does clarity like my Thunderfunk or AG700, which is what I prefer these days.

There's always the noise of playing, ie rattle and buzz on the frets, it usually fades behind the notes on a gig. Even now running through songs in my front room through my 110 there's clank, scrape and fan noise. It doesn't get in the way of learning the song and isn't heard on the gig, so I ignore it.

IMO SVT's are great but way too big to be a sensible choice without the help of roadies. I couldn't even lift a Barefaced 810 on my own and that's the most sensible "fridge" that's ever been built.

Well I`ve used a few, and to me if all the settings at midday are too bassy, cut bass rather than add mids or highs, as these make clank more audible. But I think it mainly boils down to the cab height, and that the same settings on the same amp on a 410 or 115, well the highs don`t reach your lugs as well, but your knees get all the benefit.

Thanks guys. Looks like I have a few options:
1. do nothing - not keen because I can't hear myself play and it's all clanky-ness. It's not a gig but it's my time to fit my playing in with everyone else, so it needs to sound remotely like what I play on a gig;
2. Cut the mids and treble to get out the clanky-ness. Might give this a proper go if I get chance
3. Take my own amp, when I'm not in a rush this should be the best option but loading and unloading late at night... Not sure it will be every week

If the cab has new speakers then the problem is in there. We have a pretty new Ampeg 8x10" cab in our rehearsal space from the other band using the room. It sounds like arse. Compared to my 1970 cab it has not even the slightest sonic relation with what you think of an Ampeg should sound like.

Some amps like Ampegs heavily colour your tone and don't like modern sounding instruments but really shine with a P and flats.

A Pbass does not throw subs or treble at ya. That is the secret. My Mesa valve amp sounds clanky with my active Jazz.

What bass were you playing through the Ampeg stack?

On 13/11/2017 at 07:00, DiMarco said:

Some amps like Ampegs heavily colour your tone and don't like modern sounding instruments but really shine with a P and flats.

A Pbass does not throw subs or treble at ya. That is the secret. My Mesa valve amp sounds clanky with my active Jazz.

What bass were you playing through the Ampeg stack?

I was playing a p with flats! Must do more twiddling with the eq next time 

I also use an SVT through an 8 x 10 at my rehearsal space. Have a look at how the amp is hooked up to the cab. Depending  on which input's used at the back of the cab, you can use the top four speakers, the bottom four speakers, or all eight. If you're only using the top four, the amp will sound a bit thin (like raising a 4 x10 off the floor). As the live speakers are nearer to your ears, you'll hear more clank. Instead, use the bottom four speakers, which will boost the lower frequencies and mask the clank. (Or use all eight! :-) 

http://www.ampeg.com/pdf/svt810eav.pdf