Why become a member? ×

Anyone found their perfect bass?

Dazed

My US 2015 Fender Standard Precision. Since joining Basschat I`ve flitted from bass to bass to bass, but since getting this one in 2015 it`s all I`ve used for the band in gigs, rehearsals, recordings an videos. I`ve got another identical one for home use, in the hope that a set of strings will last me a month or so on the gigging one (Rotos, sound great, very premature in the deadening aspect).

Both are black/black/maple. I have a white/black/maple one as well, but really want a white/black/rosewood one, so this one will be leaving the herd.

My Squier VM P5.
The neck sits in my hand just so and the action is nice and low.
Everything about how it feels and plays is absolutely perfect for me.

Sound-wise it's pretty damn good too but I have a new pickup waiting to go in it which I reckon should improve it further.
The trouble is it'll need a little routing to fit properly and I'm a bit scared of taking the plunge.

It's actually the cheapest bass I've ever owned and yet it's by far my favorite and if none of my kids ever decide to take up bass for me to hand it down to them then it'll be buried with me!

Edited by Painy

I've only been through a few but have settled on my Aria Pro II (SB), 1980's MIJ.

The playability and tone are both superb. Come to think of it, my only problem with it is that it's sunburnt, but pah, who needs aesthetics.

Overall, I don't think I could find a better bass for general use, even at a much higher price.

• Like 1

[quote name='progben' timestamp='1509715929' post='3401129']
I've only been through a few but have settled on my Aria Pro II (SB), 1980's MIJ.

The playability and tone are both superb. Come to think of it, my only problem with it is that it's sunburnt, but pah, who needs aesthetics.

Overall, I don't think I could find a better bass for general use, even at a much higher price.
[/quote]

You could well be right. I had an Aria Pro ll six string. Stupidly sold it. Most playable and sweet sounding 6er I'd ever owned and cost peanuts compared to all the others.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1509716351' post='3401140']
You could well be right. I had an Aria Pro ll six string. Stupidly sold it. Most playable and sweet sounding 6er I'd ever owned and cost peanuts compared to all the others.
[/quote]

I've heard a lot of people speak highly of them. I guess the allure of higher $$ instruments persuades people to move them on.

All I know is that I haven't played anything better yet, and for the £250~ it set me back, I owe it nothing!

Good luck finding another Aria 6er!

I know what you're thinking. This shouldn't be anyone's "perfect" Bass! A Jaydee? Mostly big bodied, weigh just shy of a ton and made 'that' sound ~ popular in the 70's/80's.

And, in theory it shouldn't be mine either. I'm 5"7' ish with short arms and small hands ~ yes, I've heard all the gags. Oh, and I'm not great at the slap and pull thing... B)

But.. she is perfect, for me. Made circa 1986 and still plays the same more than 30 years on... the neck profile, pick ups, active eq, tone, balance. Beautiful.

Thank you J.D. :hi:

EDIT: she is long scale...

Edited by SimonEdward