Why become a member? ×

Recommend me some strings please

TheRev

I've recently replaced the Innovation Braided with a set of Spiro Weich on my carved bass so I can use my magnetic pickup.
However,the spiros sound horrible on this bass, all twangy and metallic.

I really liked the sound of the Innovation strings on this bass, so can anyone suggest a string set that feels like Spiro Weich but sound like Innovation Braided? I'm guessing an orchestral string would fit the bill?

They must be steel to work with the magnetic pickup.

Churrz
Dave

Spiros do break in and mellow a bit so it may be worth waiting a little while before you jump to new strings. That said, Innovation braided are trying to sound like gut which is not really a characteristic of steel strings, typically.

You could give Corelli 380s a try as they're not all that strident sounding and not terribly expensive.

The Spiros aren't new - but they are newer than the set on my ply bass (and which sound amazing).

You're probably right though - I need to clock up some hours with these strings. It's just that every time i pick this bass up, the sound of the strings make me not want to play it.

After many years and oodles of ££££ spent on guts, I had an epiphany (driven by the bank account shortages) and changed to Spiro Mitts. Yes they sound very twangy at first but once they break in they are great and they force you to learn to play dynamically I think. With guts I just dug in all the time with high action. With Spiros I’m down to the normal 9-11mm and I can play hard or soft, mute a lot more and dare I say sound almost gutt-ish at times. Of course I never bow, so if you do a lot of arco people say they are not so good (yet some philharmonic orchestras apparently use them). In a nutshell, a bit like yourself, I’ve been playing for a while and have come to the conclusion that any shortcomings in my sound are not due to the string choice, but my fingers. Hope you are well anyway and all the very best.

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1509630492' post='3400432']
If you really like the particular Innovation set on that bass, I'd be more inclined to address the pickup choice instead.
(Scuttles away, cackling maniacally. .)
[/quote]

I need something feedback proof. Magnetic is the only thing that does it for me.

This is my 'at home' bass, so it only sees action at the odd jazz trio gig or if my main gigging bass is out of action. It's the latter scenario that requires steel strings/mag pickup combo.

If you want a darker sound then you could try Belcantos. I find them quite Spirocore like in terms of feel. Bit higher tension than Spiro weichs maybe. I've used them with a mag pickup before too

P.s. Rev, met you at 7 stars a couple of weeks ago! Hi again :)

[quote name='alexpea' timestamp='1509702971' post='3400943']
If you want a darker sound then you could try Belcantos. I find them quite Spirocore like in terms of feel. Bit higher tension than Spiro weichs maybe. I've used them with a mag pickup before too

P.s. Rev, met you at 7 stars a couple of weeks ago! Hi again :)
[/quote]

Hey Alex! Small world!
Cheers - l'll look into the Belcantos. Is that what you're using on your Chadwick?

[quote name='DivingShrek' timestamp='1510052599' post='3403492']
Maybe Presto Nylon wounds, supposed to sound gut-ish and have a steel core. Fairly cheap but not sure about suitability for arco
[/quote]

I have a set of Presto medium. Didn't like the E at all on my ply bass but my carved bass feels a bit tighter so it may be worth giving them another go.