Why become a member? ×

November Composition Challenge - GET WRITING

Skol303

November's Composition Challenge is now underway!

Here’s the image for your inspiration, chosen by last month's winner, lowdown

preview_king-kong-vs-dinosaur.jpeg

Click on the 'Spoiler' button below to read the usual rules and caveats:

By entering the competition you agree to the Basschat Terms and Conditions and Forum Guidelines, which are designed to help ensure the forum remains free of offensive and/or illegal behaviour and material. In a nutshell:

1) Please avoid any content that other forum users may find offensive. If your track contains explicit lyrics, then please warn other forum users so they can choose for themselves whether to listen to it.

2) Please make sure you have permission to use any 3rd party sounds included in your track (ie. sounds that you have not recorded yourself, such as samples of other people's music). The owners of Basschat accept no responsibility for infringements of copyright or other forms of legal ownership, which are solely the responsibility of competition entrants.

3) Entries should be no more than five minutes long and written/produced during the month of the competition, taking inspiration from the photo provided. No cheating!

If you have any questions, just ask.

The deadline for entries is midnight on Thursday 23rd November. Edited by Dad3353

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Next month is December... yeah, I know... how the hell did that happen so quickly!? So we're going to do the same as last year and run a cover song competition instead of the regular Composition Challenge. Here's a link to last year's festival challenge for nostalgia's sake.

Just giving you guys a heads up so can start thinking about what song you'd like to irreparably butcher interpret in your own special way.

This month's winner will then kick us off again with the regular challenge in January 2018.

That is all. As you were.

Edited by Dad3353

I detect a sense of.... DOOM! in this month's pic :D

Off topic: we've recently acquired an Xbox One at home (feeding my son and I's addiction to Minecraft!) and I picked up DOOM on sale last week... it's great! Very akin to the original in terms of gameplay and the soundtrack is superb. Edited by Dad3353

My DOOM array is actually sounding rather weak in my track, we especially when compared to Sound Dust's superb Cloud Bass (seriously , check out their instruments, they're awesome). It's coming along nicely with some great additions from Spitfire's Orchestral Swarm (as used in Blue Planet 2) and some gnarly ostinato strings from Albion One out through a distorted exciter. I'm pleased with it so far :)

DOOM is great, perfect for stress relief and I love the soundtrack. Did you see the Mick Gordon video I posted where he talks about the sound design for it?

Here we go; I offer you ...

Mason And The Beasts ...

In a somewhat 'soundscape' vein, I took inspiration, not only from the picture, but also from the old masters, notably one Sergei Prokofiev and his splendid 'Peter and the Wolf'. Far from having his talent, naturally, but I was attracted to the notion of according a theme to each of the protagonists. A much shorter piece, of course, which limits one's scope to some extent (maybe that's for the better; I'll let you judge that after having listened to the piece..!)
Relatively sober in its construction (for a change..!); it makes use of only one 'synth' Vst instrument (Beatmaker Horror Box...), suitably (lightly...) treated, and a series of vocal samples as 'script' for our heroine, Mason Weaver. A stereo image to match the picture and that's it..! My usual gaggle of EQ, compression, delays and reverbs, all native Cockos, and a final patina applied with AAMS, 'Movie RMS' preset is the sum total of components used.
Thanks for listening, if you already have; if you're about to, enjoy.

Edited by Dad3353

I'm sure its a belter Dad, I'll listen when mine is more concrete :D

I have just learnt proper midi manipulation of my EZ drummer 2, so expect some ......... er ..........random drummisting as I try and put all the bits together.

the lyrics are writ, and suitable, if not initially obvious as to why, but as is my want, I tend to hit on a couple of words and go all around the houses to try and make them fit xD

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1510092199' post='3404001']

the lyrics are writ, and suitable, if not initially obvious as to why, but as is my want, I tend to hit on a couple of words and go all around the houses to try and make them fit :lol:
[/quote]

Sorry Lurks, I did try, I really did. But I couldn't find a picture of 'King Kong vs Shakespeare'.
:D

Edited by lowdown

Here's my track (and my first post on the shiny new Basschat!)

Sound Dust Cloud Bass provides the beastly roaring backdrop with textures by Spitfire's Orchestral Swarm and strings mashed by exciters from Albion One.

Edit: Forgot to say, the DOOM array made its way out of this track as it didn't sound right. Bah! More work needed on that thing.

Edited by Mornats

I'm in and had great fun with this , I learned an absolute shedload of stuff doing this , my midi is getting much better , i can even overdub it now xD

So in deference to Dads deafness I have kept the verses relatively empty as the words are so stupid he might want to hear them better :facepalm:

Lurksalittle makes an appearance on this as well , I think she thought I put a bit more effort in to this , it certainly has a more Lurksy feel to it 

so enjoy if you can  ...........   wacky, an auto in bed feature ooh er missus 

I don't think I'm gonna get an entry in this month.  Been busy with the bathroom.  Stripped it out including the walls & rebuilt.  Got an empty box awaiting painting & tiling, then fit all the wares.  Once that's done, I've got 2 bedrooms to redo, a hall & tidy up the rest of the house.  In between that, I'm revamping a dining suite & working at my day job.
I'll get something in for December's though.