Why become a member? ×

Hiwatt 200

lowhand_mike

basically i was helping a friend clear out a barn he is renting and there was alot of crap in there, but i spotted something that looked nice on top a freezer.
it was a Hiwatt 200 valve head.
i wasnt sure at first if it was a bass head or just guitar but figured it probably was a bass head as it had an active and passive input.
now it did look pretty old but in fairly good condition.
now the guy who owns the barn said it wasnt his to give away but belonged to someone else who was storing stuff in there.

so like my topic says is it worth chasing up to see if the guy who does own it want to get rid?

I own an old mid 70's Hiwatt myself. You won't find them for sale anywhere. Last one i saw on eBay went for over £2000 to a guy in America. For that reason i put out a feeler recently. The general consensus was £600-£800, but of course the guy who paid £2000 would beg to differ. :)

There's some useful info and a mesage board here: [url="http://www.vintagehiwattconvention.com/"]http://www.vintagehiwattconvention.com/[/url]

Cheers,

Jake M

Edited by Jake_M

the thing that i am trying to get my head around is that this amp was just left in (an albeit locked secure) metal outbuilding/barn with no insulation or draft proffing and alot of the metal stuff in there was showing signs of rust/corosion. the head was showing little bit and hopefully not too much of the same.
which leads me to beleive that the owner really (hopefully) isn't interested in it any more. can't beleive that something like this would just be left lying around like that. madness.

Lots of useful info and discussion [url="http://forums.vintageamps.com/viewforum.php?f=3"]here[/url]

After this length of time it may well need to have all the filter/smoothing capacitors replaced as they do tend to deteriorate.

Go for it.

[quote name='bassoctopus' post='328099' date='Nov 13 2008, 08:10 AM']Offer to take it home, clean it up, and see if anyone asks for it back[/quote]
well thats kind of the tac that i have gone down.
"its a bit old and knackered, probably doesn't even work but i don't mind that would do as a nice little project and i need something that it doesnt matter if it takes a beating..." kind of thing :)

still waiting to get a response back on it at the mo though, i can't get there till the weekend.

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='328167' date='Nov 13 2008, 09:48 AM']well thats kind of the tac that i have gone down.
"its a bit old and knackered, probably doesn't even work but i don't mind that would do as a nice little project and i need something that it doesnt matter if it takes a beating..." kind of thing :)

still waiting to get a response back on it at the mo though, i can't get there till the weekend.[/quote]

owned a hiwatt custom 100 in the early 90's let it go for a song - cost to replace it in the early 00's (direct from Hiwatt) over £1300.00!!!

ttfn

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='328167' date='Nov 13 2008, 09:48 AM']well thats kind of the tac that i have gone down.

still waiting to get a response back on it at the mo though, i can't get there till the weekend.[/quote]

It's the weekend. Are we there yet? are we there yet? are we the.......... :huh:

hmm, taking some slow persuasion
as they say slowly slowly catchy monkey.
was there at the weekend but didnt see the guy storing it, though have a feeling this one might get away but i'm not done yet.
my mate is up there today though so i've asked him to have a go as he knows the guy better than me. so we'll see.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='330587' date='Nov 17 2008, 12:43 PM']hmm, taking some slow persuasion
as they say slowly slowly catchy monkey.
was there at the weekend but didnt see the guy storing it, though have a feeling this one might get away but i'm not done yet.
my mate is up there today though so i've asked him to have a go as he knows the guy better than me. so we'll see.[/quote]
Did you manage to get hold of it in the end?