Why become a member? ×

Your Dream Bass.?

bubinga5

On 11/1/2017 at 20:55, dmccombe7 said:

Alembic would be nice
Also have a hanckering for a WAL again.
Recently have a notion for a Vigier Passion

Guess this list could go on quite a bit so i'll leave it at that.

Dave

I had them all at one point. In my personal experience they ranked; Vigier

Wal

Alembic

sadfront.jpg

I'm not doing bad these days. This is the latest and probably last addition. The 'flashiness' of the look is more Bass Direct's photography skills prior to the sale to me in 2015. In real life the bass has a few cosmetic dings, which is fine by me. My old Precision bass still gets used more often though, mostly because it is tuned to C sharp and I am going through a big Black Sabbath phase.

Would still love a Wal and a Rickenbacker, but I have made my choices

I’ve been thinking about this for a little while. Not sure if it exists, or (when I can afford it in 10yrs time!) it’s have to be a custom job...

Fender Jaguar, oly white, single MM pickup, flamed maple neck (maybe birdseye fretboard), just edge dots, lollipop tuners, and maybe black or black pearl scratch plate.

Yeah I don’t think that exists yet.

This one covers everything I have dreamt of in a bass and I'm lucky enough to own it. I had Status put the bridge pickup 20mm from the bridge instead of the standard 10mm. Makes all the difference to the tone.

image.thumb.png.33ba0daf89f09f7fc6eab639e4826358.png

Edited by BassBus

17 hours ago, White Cloud said:

Wal

Alembic

Oddly enough i was expected the Alembic then WAL and finally Vigier. The Vigiers must be quite impressive then ?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, thodrik said:

sadfront.jpg

I'm not doing bad these days. This is the latest and probably last addition. The 'flashiness' of the look is more Bass Direct's photography skills prior to the sale to me in 2015. In real life the bass has a few cosmetic dings, which is fine by me. My old Precision bass still gets used more often though, mostly because it is tuned to C sharp and I am going through a big Black Sabbath phase.

Would still love a Wal and a Rickenbacker, but I have made my choices

Your bass is tuned down to C# ???? Do the strings not rattle a fair bit ?

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Oddly enough i was expected the Alembic then WAL and finally Vigier. The Vigiers must be quite impressive then ?

Everything is subjective, but for me the Vigier Passion (graphite through neck - ex Hue and Cry) just ticked all of my boxes; feel, tonal options, weight, balance and looks. Killer bass!

The Wal was my dream bass and beautifully built, and the tone was sublime - but after a while I just couldn't live with the weight and quirky neck profile (quite an acquired taste). In the end I actually realised that I just found it difficult to play.

The Alembic was also heavy,  the filter pre-amp was sweet..but it just didn't work in my band and somehow felt out of place. 

If money was no object, then my top 2 would be between a Carl Thompson Fretless 6 with scroll or hook.

20160309_095036.jpg

Or a Jens Ritter Jupiter 6. The one you immediately see when you visit the Ritter website. I don't need the extra bells & whistles of Phil Lesh's Eye of Horus model.

2.jpg

Edited by TolerancEJ

7 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Your bass is tuned down to C# ???? Do the strings not rattle a fair bit ?

I use 120-50 strings. In any event lots of bands tune down to C sharp and lower on six string guitars and four string basses. The instrument just needs to be set up for it. 

What?? You mean I haven't contributed to this thread yet?

Or did I?

This is my dream bass. It took lots of dreams actually. More emails and long telephone calls into the evening, Ten years later and as seen here she has had a complete refinish, some new hardware and a few updates ready for another ten years of service. Everything about this bass has been measured to fit as it were. Some of teh features are now standard order options over at Shuker Guitars.

dtwo4.jpg

dtwo21.jpg

dtwo5.jpg

dtwo24.jpg

dtwo14.jpg

dtwo23.jpg

• Like 3

I too own my dream bass. 

Everything on my Sterling just feels right. I try other basses from time to time but none of them have the same feel. The balance, sound, string tension, weight and feel of the bass is just incredible.

It was originally intended as a compromise from a Stingray 5 with the ceramic pickup as I had been having shoulder troubles so wanted something a bit lighter but sounding similar. It doesn't sound exactly the same but I prefer the sound of this.

I haven't touched the controls in about 18 months and it stays permanently in series mode.

Strings seem to last a long time as well - I always use D'addarios and in December 2016 got a great deal on 4 twin packs that were intended to do me for all of 2017. I'm about to put the third set on :)

I use it for all rehearsals and gigs and only need to change the battery every year at the beginning of April which is the anniversary of buying it in 2016. There's still life in the battery but I don't want to have to keep checking it every gig to make sure it will last to the end of the night

I really must take some proper pictures of it but here's a blurry one from hogmanay

26116164_384547441950781_202580978575195

16 hours ago, Delberthot said:

I too own my dream bass. 

Everything on my Sterling just feels right. I try other basses from time to time but none of them have the same feel. The balance, sound, string tension, weight and feel of the bass is just incredible.

I

Thats the important thing, Although I now play something different I rate these too....

1 minute ago, Pea Turgh said:

That’s bloody lovely! The details are fantastic- lovely birdseye (?) neck, the fact it goes all the way through from back to front even on the fretboard, just, lovely!

What does it sound like?

The neck/fretboard is one piece through-and-through laminate of bird's eye maple, solid carbon, padouk, carbon, bird's eye maple. The truss rod was inserted before the laminates were joined, although useless, that carbon has no flex.

It sounds like a stingray on steroids and beef. Not quite as much honk as my SR5 (in a good way) with more fundamental and higher overtones. A richer, lively sound, easy to hear in a dense mix and sustain for hours. Fairly high output, drives pedals and amp well.

24210547_1504734059643092_56795947545031

• Like 1

On 11/01/2018 at 19:52, White Cloud said:

Wal

Alembic

Haven’t had a Vigier but have had 2 of both the others (including a custom Alembic) and my Alembics were in a different league entirely. 

I have my dream basses already, but I would like a Nov ‘63 Ric 4001 (birth month) or a Jetglo ‘72 to go with my others. I guess the custom Sei I’ve been planning forever (my third) counts too.

Edited by 4000
  • Like 1

I had 2 dream basses, 1 fretless & 1 fretted. As a young fella I bought Guitarist magazine and both caught me at an early age. Fretless was the Tune Bass Maniac with the extended fingerboard and piezo only design. It was £899 and I was on the £16 YTS, Dream became reality 30 odd year later :D

The fretted dream is for a Vigier Passion or Arpege. They're pretty pricey,more than I've spent on anything bar the house,and I've never even held one so I might just keep that one as a dream.