Why become a member? ×

Is there any really bad new gear out there?

TheGreek

An answer to my own question:

Bought this from ebay:

Arrived today

Looks impressive, huh?...Alembic look-alike, quilted maple finish, stripey wood neck.

The quilted finish is a sticker, the p/ups are the worst type of sh*te you have ever seen or heard, switches do nothing other than fill out the front. The nut holding on the jack socket fell off when I opened the box, the individual bridges are made of plastic and not adjustable, even if they were I wouldn't want to risk it as they'd probably fall apart under the pressure from a steel screwdriver. I reckon the most expensive part on it (not sure what part that might be) cost, say a £1.

The most expensive piece of firewood ever.

Needless to say, I'm opening a case on ebay as soon as...

I'll name and shame depending on the sellers response.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1509667175' post='3400801']

I'm afraid you are.

All those makes had a variety of bass, guitar, PA and keyboard amps which were used by all the UK bands. Check out the early days of The Who, Hendrix, The Jeff Beck Group, Cream, Clapton, Free, Deep Purple etc.
[/quote]

Ok, I'll fold. However the Ampeg SVT was a mild stone in the advancement of bass amps.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1509754357' post='3401498']
. . . . the Ampeg SVT was a mild stone in the advancement of bass amps.[/quote]

It certainly was. I don't disagree with you there.That rig changed the world of live bass playing forever. Re-wrote the rule book.

Amen Chris. I modded my parents radiogram to use as a power amp and used a modded Philips Tape Recorder as a pre-amp.

I ran the guitar straight to the connections for the crystal pickup on my parents' radiogram, didn't need a separate pre-amp.

I had a Carlsbro Stingray guitar combo that I modified for bass by taking out the guitar speakers and putting in bass speakers. Used that for a few years. Edited by tauzero

[quote name='goblin' timestamp='1509576621' post='3400108']
I'm gunna say it and it'll probably make me unpopular... But be aware that this is just my opinion. I really can't see the hype about Sire. Yet to play one I like, they feel cheap, look cheap, and I don't particularly like the sound either[/quote]

I saw Marcus demo one on a YouTube clip and that's exactly what I thought. It looked cheap.

Blue

Edited by blue

another Encore fan here - I learned on an Encore Coaster that I bought new in the late '80's - P copy with a pointy headstock (see: late '80's). I could choose either a red or a black one, and I think it was about £100. Not exciting, but very functional and an excellent first bass, with which they flogged me a no name beaten up practice combo that worked fine. Took it to pieces, worked out how a bass fits together, rewired it, resprayed it, and flogged it on when I needed cash for an upgrade a couple of years later (to a s/h 1975 Rick 4001, that I still have and gigged with for years, great bass). Of course, Encore's may have got worse since then.

For all my praise of Encores, I think the quality of the cheaper end of the market has definitely improved - things like Yamaha Pacificas, Squires, etc are way better than what we could generally get in that price bracket back then, and I'm sure that the £100 I paid would get you a lot better quality gear these days when adjusted for inflation (which google tells me is about £250).

However, what we did have was a very reasonably priced second hand market. Me and everyone I played in bands with had Marshall valve heads from the 1970's - I had a Super Bass II from 1978. You went to Macaris and they had piles of them for £200, bit like thumbing your way through the racks in TK Maxx, keep going until you find the 100W bass head. And my first guitar amp was a '70's, grey fronted Marshall Super Lead II combo for £150 from the local music shop. Mates all picked up cheap second hand Ibanez guitars for about £80 which were looked down on because they were made in Japan, and they dreamed of being able to afford a Fender (some still have them and swear by the necks to this day). When i was looking to upgrade the Encore I went to the Bass Centre in Wapping and remember trying a couple of Gibson EB2's (didn't like the scale length) which I think were about £450 (a fortune!), Rickenbacker twin necks, piles of Wals all at prices we would marvel at today, etc.

perhaps its my memory playing tricks but my impression is that what we thought of as really expensive back then was a lot less than what we think of as quite reasonable now, even adjusted for inflation...mind you, it's not that long ago you could get a German made Warwick brand new for a third of what they charge now...

Edited by Monkey Steve

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1509544413' post='3399782']
I remember when all this was trees. And you could leave your front door open. Is it time for my nap yet?
[/quote]

Aah, nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
They used to come in sweet jars when I was a boy

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1509719155' post='3401180']
An answer to my own question:

Bought this from ebay:

Arrived today

Looks impressive, huh?...Alembic look-alike, quilted maple finish, stripey wood neck.

The quilted finish is a sticker, the p/ups are the worst type of sh*te you have ever seen or heard, switches do nothing other than fill out the front. The nut holding on the jack socket fell off when I opened the box, the individual bridges are made of plastic and not adjustable, even if they were I wouldn't want to risk it as they'd probably fall apart under the pressure from a steel screwdriver. I reckon the most expensive part on it (not sure what part that might be) cost, say a £1.

The most expensive piece of firewood ever.

Needless to say, I'm opening a case on ebay as soon as...

I'll name and shame depending on the sellers response.
[/quote]

Bloody hell, that sounds wretched. How much did it cost?

[quote name='Phil Adams' timestamp='1510041567' post='3403359']
Did anyone have a Linear 30?
[/quote]

Yes I had one of those. It served me well for several years. I currently have a Linear 50 as a rebuild project.