Why become a member? ×

Fretless 4 string acquired: what now???

Rubbersoul

Hi folks. I recently was given an old beat up, bitsa no-name, filthy fretless. I've cleaned it up now, put new flats on it and it actually feels and sounds quite good. Problem: I've never really played fretless before and am struggling a bit (a lot if I'm honest). The board has lines however they're pretty hard to see and the side markings are more or less invisible. So, good people of basschat, some tips for learning to play this thing would be brilliant. Thanks in advance.

Check youtube for advice. I'd start with playing against a sustained low notes, and getting basic intervals in tune - e.g. play low E and then find and play all other E's on the fretboard. Get used to hearing the 'beats' (uneven oscillations/interactions of close pitches, but not quite in tune) and adjust fingers until these slow down / go away....

Eventually you will need to 'visualise' the notes - hear them clearly in your head - before you play them. Will do wonders for your ears!

Tip for later - I actually had to set up the intonation specifically for fretless playing (not just relying on visual cues of the lines) - so you may want to through the fret positions with an accurate tuner to check if you are consistently sharp or flat at any places over the neck.

But really it's a huge journey... enjoy the ride!

Edited by roman_sub