Why become a member? ×

Considering running two amps, queries with example?

ForbiddenWytch

Hi everyone

I'm considering doing a "bi-amp" rig at some point and my choice of amps would be the Trace Elliot GP12SMX AH250/300 amps as they're my favourite amps that I've used. This set up would be for a stoner rock/drone band so the huge set up is essential (joking)
Basically I'd want to run one amp with a standard EQ setting then run the other with mostly low end and cut the highs off it. All of that so far is fine to me but as I'd only be sending one signal off, I was wondering if it'd be possible to do it one of these ways...

Idea 1:

**Bass signal -> Input of Amp 1 with Normal EQ -> Cabinet 1 (4x12)
**Tuner out from Amp 1 -> Input of Amp 2 with Low EQ -> Cabinet 2 (4x12 or ?x15)

Idea 2
**Bass signal -> Input of Amp 1 with Normal EQ -> Cabinet 1 (4x12)
**Effects send out from Amp 1 -> Input of Amp 2 with Low EQ -> Cabinet 2 (4x12 or ?x15)

So yeah, would *Method 1* send the right impedance signal out pre EQ to the 2nd amp and would *Method 2* do the same thing? I'd preferably like to run it in Method 1 but recommendations on that would help.

Thanks

I did exactly method 1 with an Aguilar AG500 and a Trace Elliot AH350SMX (the EQ knob in the SMX section of the Trace is ideal for this as it is a tilting eq so just turn to the left to boost lows and cut highs).
Worked absolutely fine.

The only issue I found was that, when adjusting the overall volume, it was a pain to maintain the same balance between the two amps as you have to adjust both output controls separately.

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1509495150' post='3399487']
I did exactly method 1 with an Aguilar AG500 and a Trace Elliot AH350SMX (the EQ knob in the SMX section of the Trace is ideal for this as it is a tilting eq so just turn to the left to boost lows and cut highs).
Worked absolutely fine.

The only issue I found was that, when adjusting the overall volume, it was a pain to maintain the same balance between the two amps as you have to adjust both output controls separately.
[/quote]

Thank you for your reply. Have you tested the tuner out of the Trace Elliot to see if it's the same level as the instrument going in or is it affected by the input knob and any of the amps EQ? I'm hoping it's just the plain unaffected signal coming from the bass that comes through the tuner out.

Yeah I get that you would have to balance the output levels for each amp but again I'm fine with this as I'd be using the 2nd amp for lows and pushing other speakers. Once I found a balance I like, I'd end up just leaving it.

Again, thank you!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1509531903' post='3399618']
If you want to stick with Trace Elliot have a look at stand-alone GP12 pre-amp because that has a built-in bi-amp output with a variable crossover frequency. You can run that into any powers amps you want and control everything from a single point.
[/quote]

Hey, I've checked out the GP12 pre amp but it won't do exactly what I want, I'd rather be able to completely sculpt the 2nd amp's tone and it seems that it's basically just a normal crossover to split the frequencies on the pre amp. Thank you for your suggestion though.

[quote name='ForbiddenWytch' timestamp='1509498474' post='3399505']

Thank you for your reply. Have you tested the tuner out of the Trace Elliot to see if it's the same level as the instrument going in or is it affected by the input knob and any of the amps EQ? I'm hoping it's just the plain unaffected signal coming from the bass that comes through the tuner out.

Yeah I get that you would have to balance the output levels for each amp but again I'm fine with this as I'd be using the 2nd amp for lows and pushing other speakers. Once I found a balance I like, I'd end up just leaving it.

Again, thank you!
[/quote]

Appeared to be the same level coming from the tuner out as the instrument level going in (had the input gain on the 'slave' amp at the same level as it would normally have been plugging the Bass in directly) and it wasn't affected but turning the output volume up or down either.

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1509572846' post='3400060']
Appeared to be the same level coming from the tuner out as the instrument level going in (had the input gain on the 'slave' amp at the same level as it would normally have been plugging the Bass in directly) and it wasn't affected but turning the output volume up or down either.
[/quote]

Wicked! You've just solved my problem there. Thank you for taking the time to do that. Guess who's now going to have to save up the pennies and build up a stupid sized rig again!