Why become a member? ×

Suhr Jazz - Undervalued?

kasbridge

All,
I bought a nearly new Firemist (Shoreline) Gold Suhr passive J about 6 years ago - don’t realky look at the market much but imho this is the finest 60s feel passive J I have played - I did a back to back with a ‘64 at the Gallery and the Suhr was as good if not better.

Surprised that they can be bought new for £2k - does the market not like/understand them?

I also have NYC Sadowsky, American F Jazz etc so have done basis for comparison.

Interested to hear views....

Thx,
Kevin

Rudy Pensa,s are very rare nowadays and Dont see many for sale. Suhr,s not so much. Of course they were working together. I think Suhr,s are are way up there with any super jazz basses. Including Celinder, NYC sadowsky,Alleva,s. I certainly wouldn't compare any of those with a Fender Jazz of any ilk. There in a different league to any Fender. I think a lot of people look at the resale price not really how much a Suhr is worth to play and keep. But yeah I do think Suhr jazz basses are priced quite low.

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1509480163' post='3399335']
Most boutique stuff loses money fairly quickly, look at GB Spitfires in the £1500 bracket, even as a Fender USA Jazz user I'll be first to say how much better the GB is.[/quote]Pete is probably right here.

Edited by Rich
quote tags edited

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1509526982' post='3399577']
A new Pensa 5 ranks as the worst bass I have ever played. I say played, but I didn't get to play it properly as it had a high fret which rendered it virtually unusable.

My Fender Suhr Jazz is one that I would never sell. It's absolutely perfect (for me) in every way.
[/quote]Weird, I've played a couple of Pensa's one at the Gallery and one that a friend owns. They were both epic.

The Pensas I played in NYC gave me sleepless nights... until I convinced myself I really didn't need one.

I've only played one Suhr bass. Again, lovely bass... but didn't really speak to me any more than any other J bass. Their guitars on the other hand...

Thanks for the comments - interesting.

For my part it looks and sounds wonderful but the Sadowsky NYC is the bass I keep picking up (and gigging) - it’s nowhere near as pretty but just seems “right” - will probably list the Suhr in the coming weeks unless I have a change of heart - I think the Sad is a different thing and justcduits me better....