Why become a member? ×

Nut Files for TI Flats

thegummy

I got my bass back from a setup but the nut action is a few thou higher than I'd like so I'm going to get nut files to adjust this and also to do my other bass's nut myself.

The first bass has TI flats which are smaller gauge than standard strings. At the moment that isn't causing any problems in itself.

Would it be okay to use the larger standard sized nut files to deepen the slots or would you advise getting the specific gauges for the flats?

[quote name='thegummy' timestamp='1509463495' post='3399119']
I got my bass back from a setup but the nut action is a few thou higher than I'd like so I'm going to get nut files to adjust this and also to do my other bass's nut myself.

The first bass has TI flats which are smaller gauge than standard strings. At the moment that isn't causing any problems in itself.

Would it be okay to use the larger standard sized nut files to deepen the slots or would you advise getting the specific gauges for the flats?
[/quote]
I usually use roundwounds of the desired gauge and use them like files

Definitely going to buy the proper files - I wish I'd bit the bullet and bought them in the first place before putting it in for the setup and they'd have already paid for themselves and more!

The question is just - should I just get the nut files for the gauge the bass already is (45-65-85-105) or should I also get some specific ones closer to the actual gauges of the TI flats (43-56-70-100)?

Note: I say "also" as I'll be getting the standard ones to do my other bass with.

A standard set will be fine, you're talking about a few thousandths of an inch. You really don't want nut slots too tight, or they will pinch the string and cause serious tuning problems.

Also try and keep the file dead straight with no wobbling or change of angle, otherwise you'll cut an even bigger slot than advertised.

[quote name='Manton Customs' timestamp='1509470023' post='3399224']
A standard set will be fine, you're talking about a few thousandths of an inch. You really don't want nut slots too tight, or they will pinch the string and cause serious tuning problems.

Also try and keep the file dead straight with no wobbling or change of angle, otherwise you'll cut an even bigger slot than advertised.
[/quote]

Thanks for that. I see from your sig you're a luthier yourself which gives me confidence.

So even the 15 thou difference on the A string will still be fine?