Why become a member? ×

Dream bass!

scrumpymike

Well, mine anyway! I've had serious GAS for this since I played it at the south-west bash. Actually, before that: as soon as I saw it on Michael Gillett's website. This really is a no-compromise beastie and it's now got the lowest action of any bass I've ever had. I'll post more thoughts and pic's when I've finished playing and looking at it - don't hold your breath :D

"]http://

Edited by scrumpymike

Took the Gillett to rehearse some new stuff with the 7-pc original material band I'm in last night. Thankfully the sounds and the look were very well received - actually the guys & gals (who don't normally notice or care much about what I'm doing) were blown away, and it's perfect for the folky/unplugged end of our musical spectrum. I prefer a solid-bodied electric for the rocky and funky stuff so I've rigged up a foot-switching system that means both basses are set up and ready to play throughout the set. All I have to do is take one off, put the other on and stomp on a switch - or two if I want to change channels on my amp as well as swapping basses. More than enough time to do that while our glorious leader fannies around with his guitars, tunings and banter :)

Here's a few more pics - taken with truss-rod cover still removed after yesterday's set-up. Note the threaded brass inserts that the tiny cover screws go into - how cool is that?!

Edited by scrumpymike

Looks a bit odd but refreshing to see something different and I love how it sounds, particularly the fretless - [url="http://www.gillettguitars.co.uk/video"]http://www.gillettguitars.co.uk/video[/url]

Edited by ikay

• 3 weeks later...

Unexpected news - first dream bass, now dream project!  Turns out that Gillett are really busy and need some extra resource in the months leading up to the London Bass Guitar Show.  Also, they're based just up the road from me.  SO, to cut a short story even shorter, I’ll be doing some sales & marketing for them including attending the show.  First thing I’ve done is persuade Michael G to support this forum by taking a banner advertisement - watch this space!

Interesting you talk about your new one  having a low action. The one I played at the SWB had (IMHO) the highest action of any bass I'd ever played and I could not work out why he had set it so high, it actually put me off. But equally  I could appreciate it was/is a very nice Bass

Edited by yorks5stringer

14 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

Interesting you talk about your new one  having a low action. The one I played at the SWB had (IMHO) the highest action of any bass I'd ever played and I could not work out why he had set it so high, it actually put me off. But equally  I could appreciate it was/is a very nice Bass

You've exactly summed up how I felt after trying one at the bass bash.  Michael himself prefers a very high action but I'm setting the basses up much lower.  The fretless S4 I've just delivered to Bath Place Music in Taunton is about half the height it was when I picked it up from the workshop.  As received, it was completely devoid of 'mwah' (not that I'm a big fan of that on this type of instrument), but now there's just enough to reinforce that fretless tonal differentiation.

On 11/1/2017 at 22:24, alyctes said:

Oooh. Does he do a fretless five?

We're keen to raise the Gillett profile on Basshat and I want to do a Christmas promotional offer just for forum members (who are also coincidentally my buddies :D).  The offer will probably be based on ex-demo basses and this may well include a F5.

Edited by scrumpymike