Why become a member? ×

NBD - US Standard Precision

FinnDave

Sitting here playing the lovely P bass I bought yesterday from Mr Playbass of this forum. This is my third post 2012 US Standard and seems every bit as good as my other two. I've really got to stop buying them now though!

Quick pic of it lying on my lap to prove it exists!

[attachment=256668:IMG_1094.jpg]

It's a little more careful finished the the 50s classic - the rolled fretboard edges are good on all of my US Standards, but it doesn't have the vintage feel of that big wide neck on the 50s. I just love Precision basses in all their many forms! The 50s Classic is certainly no slouch, and I paid slightly less for that new than I've paid for the used Standard, though yesterday's bass came with a quality Fender case, whereas the Classic just comes in a gig bag.

I now have one too many basses, so there is a Gibson Thunderbird up for sale in the relevant part of the forum!

Curious, is there much of a difference, if any, between the 2011 and 2012 Am Standard models?

I’ve read pick-ups were upgraded on 2012 model on TB.

I’m currently looking online at a 2011 model, but it’s too far away to try out and debating if it’s worth the gamble.

Sorry, I just seem to be cluttering up your NBD threads lately with my own queries 🙄👍

No problem, that's what these threads are for, I reckon. I've not had a chance to compare my 2012 (or 2015) Precisions with anything older, but my understanding is that there were substantial changes made for the 2012 model year. Certainly, there is little to choose between my 2012 Precisions and my 2015 model.

Cheers, there’s a 2011 model on Reverb for £849, based in Coventry, which looks pretty decent condition - sunburst, black, maple.

I’ve only started looking out for a new P-bass, so I’m reluctant to dive in without getting a chance to try one out.

I’ve went from looking at Classic 50’s to Roadworns to Am Standards...so, basically keeping my options open! 😆

The 2008 - 11 are good basses, but imo the 2012 - 16 are better. The neck is chunkier, and the Custom Shop Pickups are much more vintagey voiced in comparison to the more modern sounding 08 - 11s. Both are finished very well, and are incredibly nice basses to play. If thinner neck but vintagey is your thing get an 08 - 11 and the Custom Shop 62 pickups, sorted.

Yeah, there is that I suppose, but when I say more modern sounding on the 08 range its not super hi-fi modern, just less middy and with a slightly sharper top end, def not a reason to veto the 08s, they`re great basses, don`t need a pickup swap at all, that`s just my personal preference.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1509484067' post='3399379']
Yeah, there is that I suppose, but when I say more modern sounding on the 08 range its not super hi-fi modern, just less middy and with a slightly sharper top end, def not a reason to veto the 08s, they`re great basses, don`t need a pickup swap at all, that`s just my personal preference.
[/quote]

I agree. And for me, the 08 to 11 are the best. But really, the difference is very subtle.

Frank.

I love my 08 P. You could say I'm married to it as it was a wedding present from her-indoors. I also have a Yamaha Pulser 400 that's tip-top (feels very like a Nate Mendel I played recently) and an ACG Finn that's basically a P bass in a fancy suit (sorry Alan!). But having played a friend's 64 P, nothing I have compares to the feel or the tone of that bass, and I'm slightly annoyed by that!

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1509536711' post='3399664']
I thought the T-bird was a keeper? :o
[/quote]

So did I, but something has to go to pay for the new Precision, and to make space for it. The T bird is a lovely bass, but I haven't gigged it much, still tend to reach for a Fender when going out.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1509537396' post='3399676']
So did I, but something has to go to pay for the new Precision, and to make space for it. The T bird is a lovely bass, but I haven't gigged it much, still tend to reach for a Fender when going out.
[/quote]

Ha ha! And I've just got a Thunderbird, chiefly based on your recommendation! :D

I'm sure you won't regret it, they're great basses and I know I'll miss it, but I need money and space and this was the easiest one to part with. I've still got a through neck Epiphone T bird, with gibbo pick ups, babizc bridge, Gotoh tuners....it's a T bird through and through, but wouldn't have raised the money I need to pay for one of the two Precisions I've bought in the last couple of weeks!

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1509483087' post='3399368']
The 2008 - 11 are good basses, but imo the 2012 - 16 are better. The neck is chunkier, and the Custom Shop Pickups are much more vintagey voiced in comparison to the more modern sounding 08 - 11s. Both are finished very well, and are incredibly nice basses to play. If thinner neck but vintagey is your thing get an 08 - 11 and the Custom Shop 62 pickups, sorted.
[/quote]

Agreed I love my 2014 Am.Std Precision I tried the Am.Pro when they came out, but couldn't justify the difference in buying one. The Am.Std with the CS pickups just sounded better to me.

My recently cleared Credit Card made me do it..........

I've just ordered a Fender American Standard Precision in Olympic White, Tort, Maple which is being delivered next Tuesday. The serial number is US1307####, which I believe dates it late 2013 / early 2014, but it is brand new from the shop, still even has the plastic covers on the tuners.

Dougie is a happy bunny...!