Why become a member? ×

NBD - Harley Benton MB-5 SB Deluxe - Deko

BassApprentice

So I sometimes keep an eye on the "Deko" section of Thomann to see what passes through, usually stuff sells out before you can blink but I got lucky and managed to snag a 5 string 'Ray-a-like

So started the wait to see if it was as much of a bargain as the price makes it. It arrived yesterday and it took me a few minutes to work out what made it "Deko" worthy! There's one small dent on the back and some odd marks but since it's on the back doesn't really bother me!

Out of the box it was still in tune (granted it was a half step down) which bodes well for the quality of the tuners. I've only noodled around on it for an hour or so but first impressions are very good. I had a SUB Ray 5 earlier this year and I would say the fit and finishing isn't far off that and I think it does the Stingray sound quite well, nice and clanky. It is a bit heavier than the SUB was I reckon, haven't got the means to weigh it but the whole package was apparently 4.7kg so I don't think the bass will be too heavy itself. Not sure how useful the coil-splitting is yet but wiring can be changed in the future. The neck is not for the fainthearted, very club like but unfinished so feels gorgeous to me, no noticeably sharp edges. String spacing is quite tight but I liked that about the SUB and happy this is similar, YMMV. These are just my initial ramblings, I'll probably update this with more pros and cons in the future.

Overall I'm really impressed by my first Harley Benton and for £11 per string I couldn't ask for a better way to scratch the 5 string itch!

(For those wondering, the Deko section seems to get updated daily at any time between 9am and 11am-ish if you are looking for a bargain)

Edited by BassApprentice