Why become a member? ×

MIJ 62 reissue jazz bass

XoSo

Hi

Looking to upgrade from my cheap learner bass and wondered what collective thoughts on this would be. It's in Spain so can't easily go to look at it. I don't know a lot about Japanese Fenders although I have a MIJ Tele which is drop dead gorgeous. Everything I've heard makes me think quality control on Japanese Fenders is a lot tighter than on Mexican/USA guitars, but does anyone know if they were generally OK in the mid nineties? Also pricewise - cheap, average or over-priced? I'm seriously considering this or a new Fender Flea bass and can't decide between the two

https://reverb.com/item/6946987-fender-jazz-bass-ri-62-1995-1996-vintage-white

Edited by XoSo

The best thing about the MIJ/CIJ Fenders are the necks, they are superb, really really comfortable to play. The only possible downside I find to the MIJ/CIJs is some are made of basswood, and I`ve found when I`ve had basswood bodied basses that at higher volumes the grunt doesn`t seem to be there in comparison to alder bodied basses. Difficult to describe really, but when you dig in there doesn`t seem to be much more that is given from the bass - which thinking about it, given my heavy handed way of playing should actually be a bonus, a kind of on-board compression.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1509397218' post='3398648']
You can't really go wrong with a Japanese Fender. They go from about £350 to £700.
[/quote]This is what I thought until I bought a 95 62 RI. It was god awful. It was the pickups. They were out of a starter pack bass. Then I bought a non export 75 Jazz from Simon. So different. Get in touch with Dan from BassJapan. He will source you the best MIJ/CIJ Jazz bass. Japan basses is what he does.

Still looking around guys and have just come across this little beauty. I would appreciate any thoughts on this. The website doesn't give a lot of info but would I be correct in thinking this guitar is new rather than second hand and a MIJ rather than MIM? Also would I be correct in thinking that the equivalent 60s MIM version is no longer available - I've done a quick search and can't find any available in the UK. Not sure what it would cost once shipping and tax is added on but at just over £500 this seems pretty reasonable.....or is it?

https://www.j-guitar.com/eng/product_id29297.html

I can't remember the figures off the top of my head, but I reckon shipping from Japan and import taxes/handling fees would add about £250 to the cost.

Like others have said, I would heartily recommend getting a Japanese Fender. My 75 RI (which went to Bubinga5) was lush. Still regret selling it. I have a bog-standard MIJ Jazz just now, and it's still a great bass. There are usually a few in the For Sale section on here - it's worth hanging on and seeing what comes up.