Why become a member? ×

Best and worst bass gear purchases for 2017?

Al Krow

Bass: Gibson 2017 EB IV (that I wasn't expecting to be sooooo playable)
Head: Ampeg V4B.

Wasn't expecting too much from the Gibbo EB IV, but it's become my "go-to" bass.
And the Ampeg V4B re-issue head..... It's the tone that does it for me..... Specifically, the 6L6 tone. (KT88/6550 amps sound too "hi-fi" and EL34... too soft...)

[attachment=256690:V4B_EBIV_800.jpg]

Oh and another thing purchased this year, which deserves a special mention, because I still can't figure out how such a great sound comes from something so small and light...... Barefaced One10 cab, which I now have paired with an Ashdown LB30 head, and use as my front-room practise amp.
[attachment=256691:LB30_BF110.jpg]

I’ve spent a silly amount of money on gear this year, so...

Best Bass: My very recently acquired MTD Super 5. I cannot put it down! A beautiful instrument in every respect.

Best Effect: This is a tough one, so the JOINT winners are the Mr. Black Fwonkbeta and Strymon Ojai Power supply. The Fwonk is just ridiculous, my favourite analog filter. The Ojai is stupidly powerful for its tiny size and weight. It single-handedly powers my entire main board without complaint.

Best Amplification: Another late 2017 award winner...The Phil Jones Double Four! How can something so tiny sound so full? Witchcraft I tell you. Built like a proverbial tank too.

Runner-up best amplification goes to the Tecamp Puma 900 which sounds truly glorious. I’m yet to give it the beans through my TKS 1126 but I have no doubt it will be a religious experience.

Edit: just realised I didn’t say anything about my worst purchases. Well, frankly, I don’t think I made any bad purchases this year! Sure I’ve moved some stuff on, but nothing was objectively “bad”.

Edited by CameronJ

May sound a bit smug but I'm not interested in changing or improving my gear, my Stingray bass and choice of two Markbass rigs I'm entirely happy with and have not purchased anything during 2017.
When I was a guitarist in the 80's I was one of those guys that constantly changed guitars and amps on a regular basis, never felt comfortable.

I bought a Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded 2008. That would be the best.

I also bought a Focusrite interface, an MXR reverb and a Friedman Od pedal.

The only thing I bought this year that left me a bit 'meh' was I bought BiasFX and I frankly think that it is an average product.

The only bass thing I bought this year was strings.

Not bought much this year, only a couple of minor items.

Best Thing:
A new guitar lead from OBBM (who else?) with a Neutrik Silent Jack - oh the joy of unplugging with no pops or crackles or turning the gain right down (my LM3 has no mute button....). Never fancied the idea (more to go wrong...) but a much better player than me (Hi Rog) uses one and swears by it so I bought one and I love it. Simple things please simple minds I suppose.

Worst Thing:
An EBS OctaBass. Thought I wanted one, turns out I didn't. Plugged it in, tried it, put it back in the box. Anyone want one?

Best new bass: Original Japanese made Yamaha BB3000 in black sparkle with gold hardware. A monstrous thru neck, passive bass with so much punch it sounds active!
Honourable mentions: Original US made Jackson Ontario Concert Bass. Active EMGs, thru neck and lots of RAWK!!! Also, a lightweight but superpunchy old EMG loaded Guild Pilot. A Superjazz on steroids!

Best amp/outboard gear: Zoom B3 - SO useful!!

Worst thing: Nothing!

Edited by cetera

[b]Best purchase:[/b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] a secondhand ruby red 4003s Rickenbacker.[/font][/color]

[b]Runner up[/b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]: D'addario roundwound strings. After years of flats, it's good to be back.[/font][/color]

[b]Best value purchase[/b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]: a dirt cheap no brand red clip on tuner that appears to be able to read the E string on my upright bass,[/font][/color]

[b]Worst purchase[/b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]: I'm much more selective with GAS attacks so I can't think of one.[/font][/color]

Actually I've just thought of my worst purchase. I had a Barefaced Big One, probably the shortest amount of time I've kept a cab. Not particularly practical, didn't sound great and when it came to gigging it and competing with drummers, I really had to push the amp to get any meaningful level. Was glad to see the back of that one.

I'm loving the suggestions / entries on here; really interesting and useful and also a lot of [i]unvarnished [/i]truth.

2018 came a bit sooner than I expected in terms of purchases so I've had to update / correct my entry. I guess that's allowed? "When the facts change so do my opinions" to paraphrase JMK! :)

Best was either a Yamaha SLB 100 which has simultaneously saved my bass playing and my marriage, or a brand new Bryant upright. That’s being worked on in December but I’m extremely excited at what it will become.

Worst (this may be controversial) is an all original. amazing condition 64 Jazz. It’s so valuable it’s in the case and hidden away. Admittedly I do have some other valuable guitars on displays, but it’s a real shame as it plays amazingly and sounds divine.

I haven’t changed bass or amp and can’t see me doing so unless I’m taken rich... and tbh, a Stingray, a fretless Jazz and a Hartke rig will cover most eventualities. I did spend a lot on pedals this year though. However the big wins were a proper one spot pro PSU - so much simpler setting up - and some Klotz guitar leads with Neutrik silent plugs. The rubbish was an MXR 18v PSU that lasted 3 gigs before the cable started emitting sparks and Warwick low profile patch cables of similar longevity/build quality. I’m pretty annoyed about being sold a high Z volume pedal too. There’s nothing wrong with it but I needed a low Z one and PMT should have known the difference.

Edited by radiophonic

[b]Best purchase:[/b] Sei Flamboyant 5-string headless from Flamencito. Agreed the sale in December 2016 but money and bass changed hands in 2017.

[b]Runner-up:[/b] At the other end of the expenditure scale, Zoom B3n.

[b]Best value:[/b] Barefaced One 10. A good little cab for my intended use, though it won't be replacing the Bergs. Turned up rather cheap on That Ebay, so I snapped it up.

Best Purchase: Warwick Thumb BO 5 - the bass I've always wanted. Sounds fantastic, I even like the ergonomics.

Best value: Adamovic Jupiter fretless 4 - Picked it up for a great price, the materials and workmanship are superb.

Worst: This is my "worst", a Spector Euro 5LX - a fantastic bass once the internal preamp trim pot had been turned down, but 35" scale is not for me, so I sold it on.