Why become a member? ×

Eastman bass review

petebassist

An interesting [url="https://discoverdoublebass.com/lesson/eastman-vb200-double-bass"]new Eastman bass review[/url] from Geoff caught my eye because I recently upgraded to a similarly spec'd Eastman VB105, which is a hybrid model with solid front and back, and laminate sides, and I also got it from Bassbags. Like the review model, the setup on mine is superb, and the overall service was great. (btw I have NO affiliation whatsoever with Bassbags :-).

Thanks for the share Pete. I really want to try the hybrid model to compare the two...I've played several hybrids that I loved, often more than the fully carved equivalent, so it would be really interesting to try them. They also have a more expensive carved bass and I would love to know if it's better than the VB200. When I was in the US I tried a New Standard Cleveland Hybrid that I really wish I had bought! It had a great tone for jazz and I think hybrid instruments are really cool. There was a recent interview with Larry Grenadier on Contrabass Conversations podcast where he says he is playing an Eastman...I'm trying to find out which model it is...but I wouldn't be surprised if it is the hybrid or VB200.

Bassbags.co.uk were great to deal with. I don't have any kind of affiliation with them, I just wanted to review the bass and they were kind enough to lend me it. The set up being good is so refreshing, it was completely ready to play. I've still got the bass and am enjoying practising with it. I might even film a lesson on it today... They do deliveries throughout the country so will be passing by in their van soon..you can't miss it!

I think the hard thing with any reviews is that there are so many variables between instruments/strings/players etc.. so I was nervous about sharing it, but the bass did really impress me. I would love to compare it to a few other popular instruments such as the Shen basses, or an EUB and hopefully I will get to do more in future.

Hi Geoff, I know what you mean about there being many variables. I tried out a number of old and new basses, but it was really hard to compare one from the other without the same strings, tension, setup etc. I also found that some more expensive basses didn't sound that great for pizz to my ears (and with my technique), but would probably sound great for arco. The new Eastman that I eventually found had the exact sound and feel I was looking for, and I thought with the laminate sides I could drag it round to gigs without being too paranoid about knocks and scrapes.
I went for the Evah Pirazzi weichs too after watching your video on that, and after four months they're now giving me a great gut-like thump with a bit of spiro-like complexity on the D & G, which is exactly what I need. So the strings advice is much appreciated.
If you're ever down Bristol way you're more than welcome to try out my hybrid for comparison, and I occasionally take it up to the North East when I'm working from up there. Also let me know if you're playing any gigs. Cheers, Pete