Why become a member? ×

Please tell me why I should avoid Ashdown amps? (aka why Ashdown are just great!)

Al Krow

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Cheers @bartelby

Ok so, my next challenge is to make my Ibby SR sound anywhere near as good! :) 

Here's a ropy shot of the amp settings.5a91826f2f657_ScreenShot2018-02-24at15_18_47.png.28994a169a6e689d44463bc06e8b5c1d.png

Listening to that video reminds me of Greg Christian's awful bass tone on Testament's Practice What You Preach, except it's slightly better than his was...

8 minutes ago, bartelby said:

Here's a ropy shot of the amp settings.5a91826f2f657_ScreenShot2018-02-24at15_18_47.png.28994a169a6e689d44463bc06e8b5c1d.png

Listening to that video reminds me of Greg Christian's awful bass tone on Testament's Practice What You Preach, except it's slightly better than his was...

Cheers buddy! But I'm currently going to need to replicate that on a Markbass or DG M900 (until such time as I can persuade Ashdown to release the Geezer Lite without 3 redundant transformers!) :) 

I take it you didn't like her tone?

On 25/02/2018 at 12:50, krispn said:

I’m not sure if you were joking about that tone. Very cranky and either the bass needs a set up or we have very different ideas on ‘good tone’.

Nope, I did genuinely like the tone in the context of her band. But there again she's clearly also a fan of the Ibby growl :) 

To be fair, I'd say 00.48 into this has something much closer to my idea of a 'great' bass tone.

What would you consider to be an example of a 'good tone'?

On 2/24/2018 at 15:36, Al Krow said:

This is a great example of studio bass mixing with that big deep bottom likely high passed on the DI signal, then a low passed signal on the clacky top end signal with a drive (SansAmp?), maybe a Distressor or Fatso Jr. working it's magic too - you can hear loads of compression on it keeping it all tight and even and sitting just right in the mix. You can still hear the clank on top with the whole mix but it sits really well and just add that definition to the bass in the track.

I think it's a good bass tone and it's certainly a good fit for this song but it's been crafted for that song to be fair.

It's more pleasing than that last video of Cici but then it sounds like her signal is a direct D.I. signal rather than the amp. There's certainly no mic on the cab and I'd say it's a clean signal that the sound man is using for FOH mix. It's pretty terrible :) which is more a reflection on the sound man to be honest but yeah maybe that's what they wanted the bass to sound like.

Edited by krispn
had a proper listen with decent cans :)
  • Like 2

From the current Schecter thread. Amazing difference in tone. Says to me that bass and pups have as much, if not bigger, impact on tone than do amp and cab (unless you're buying an Orange, of course).

On 26/02/2018 at 20:57, Al Krow said:

Nope, I did genuinely like the tone in the context of her band. But there again she's clearly also a fan of the Ibby growl :) 

To be fair, I'd say 00.48 into this has something much closer to my idea of a 'great' bass tone.

That is certainly close to my idea of a great bass tone, but hard to hear due to it also being close to my idea of vocal hell!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

That is certainly close to my idea of a great bass tone, but hard to hear due to it also being close to my idea of vocal hell!

You're referring to the Cici Powell clip or the Charlie Puth?

Either way that's kinda interesting 'cos you and I are both massive Ibby fans. @krispn on the other hand is more of a 'classic' P bass fan...so it just goes to show what floats one person's boat won't necessarily float another bass players! The good thing, at least, is that we bass players get to choose our own gear. Never in a million years are a band going to say "well actually it would be much better if you had Fender Nate Mendel and not that ridiculous Streamer Stage II with a neck through that you're playing!" :D

So, something everyone probably already knows: there is no right answer to what is a GREAT bass tone! 

Well that's saved me a bunch of time looking for that particular thread then and means I'm without real excuse for spending more time on the fretboard and less time worrying about great gear :)

Edited by Al Krow

27 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

You're referring to the Cici Powell clip or the Charlie Puth?

The Charlie guy, bass good, vocals - I couldn't actually really listen to that for more than a few seconds.

The women, the bass sounded like it would have probably sounded better there, but was recorded on an autolevel no bass recorder, so sounded a lot more clicky then it probably did. I can't say I felt much either way about the singing, sounded pretty par for the course, fitted the song, and souned like what I would have expected it to sound like.

Edit: that sounds unusually harsh, she is actually very good, especially on the audioslave stuff, but I just meant I didn't really notice her vocals in the way that I instantly noticed that other videos vocals. That is a good thing!

Sounds actually like a lot of gigs I would have attended in my earlier years.

Either way that's kinda interesting 'cos you and I are both massive Ibby fans. @krispn on the other hand is more of a 'classic' P bass fan...so it just goes to show what floats one person's boat won't necessarily float another bass players!

I can appreciate many types of bass tone. I put new strings on my Squier classic vibe p the other day, I bought a 4 string set for my iceman and then realised the strings on it were pretty good and I wanted to do some work on it, so thought I hadnt put new string on a the P for a long time (and I gigged that for 5 months), and it does sound really good. Within the bounds of being a P, a 4 string and having too wide string spacing.

OK, its nothing compared to the ibanezes but it does make a nice noise (certainly better!)

Edited by Woodinblack

@Al Krow I’ve gigged and recorded with Jazz basses/ two pick up basses - so I’m partial to a good jazz tone. I think most of us can relate to a ‘good bass tone’ and can hear the benefits of different basses in the context of a song. That being said most of what i’m Playing these days suits the p bass vibe but as you know I’m about to stick a Tbird pick up in one of my p basses for some variation and the P5 I have has a tone control which can cop a jazz bass ‘scoop’ tone. My old band Titus Pullo was jazz bass with a pretty even mix between both pick ups and just the neck. I actually installed DiMarzio Model J’s in that jazz to give me a bit more p like vibe in the solo’d neck position and then a good solid J tone with both pick ups wide open.

The question about Ashdown is kinda interesting as the more expensive amps have a 9 band eq so there should be no excuses for getting a decent tone. Even the lower priced models have a 5 band so decent tones ‘should’ be achievable. 

On 26/02/2018 at 20:57, Al Krow said:

The Puth track is a keys part played into Spectrasonic’s Trillian Total Bass vst with their Hofner emulation used as the sound. It was then passed through the Waves CLA Bass Plug-in which has a very specific speaker emulation tone which gives it a lot of the character of its attack. It also has a very heavy compressor if desired and a sub (much the same as an Ashdown sub down) and chorus element to it. I find the fact that it’s so liked interesting, but I too totally dig it and it’s very much right for the track. I only have super specific knowledge in this one track as I emulated it in the production of a different track for a different artist as part of my masters, and the bass sound is so distinctive in adding timbral  colour. 

On a note relevant to this thread: I’m loving my recent switch to Ashdown amps, and it’s totally the sound I was heading towards in my head - but it does need the flat button on the ABM-pre pushed in to get there! T

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, TJ Spicer said:

The Puth track is a keys part played into Spectrasonic’s Trillian Total Bass vst with their Hofner emulation used as the sound. It was then passed through the Waves CLA Bass Plug-in which has a very specific speaker emulation tone which gives it a lot of the character of its attack. It also has a very heavy compressor if desired and a sub (much the same as an Ashdown sub down) and chorus element to it. I find the fact that it’s so liked interesting, but I too totally dig it and it’s very much right for the track. I only have super specific knowledge in this one track as I emulated it in the production of a different track for a different artist as part of my masters, and the bass sound is so distinctive in adding timbral  colour. 

On a note relevant to this thread: I’m loving my recent switch to Ashdown amps, and it’s totally the sound I was heading towards in my head - but it does need the flat button on the ABM-pre pushed in to get there! T

Hello Tyler - welcome to the dark(er) side of life!  I agree, that preshape button is the wrong way round for me too.  My current Ashdown (Retro 800) is nothing like the ABM in character, so it gets thoroughly Sansamped most of the time.  Nice little amp for run around gigs.  Let me know if you want to try an old Trace Elliot for fun...its probably older than you, but still sounds great if you ignore the reshape switch.  (Duncan)  

• 1 month later...

Tried a Geezer Doom this afternoon. 

Take-aways for me:

- TBH it's an ABM 600 in fancy clothing, so save your money (and you backs) and get that instead. Oh it has a Doom switch, which adds a bit of grit - but seriously just get a dirt pedal that you really like;

- the EQ on the amp is pretty impressive;

- their Ashdown 4x10 struggled with the Geezer head; a Markbass 1x15 found it a breeze. My second (and last) attempt at trying out Ashdown cabs and being disappointed with the result;

Amusingly the amp head that PMT Romford have 'set up' for folk to try out with their bass selection is actually a DG M900, which IMHO has a better dirt than the Geezer and a great clean tone, is a quarter the size and weight and delivers 35% more power output. I won't be trading mine in just yet...

22 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Take-aways for me:

- TBH it's an ABM 600 in fancy clothing, so save your money (and you backs) and get that instead. Oh it has a Doom switch, which adds a bit of grit - but seriously just get a dirt pedal that you really like;

- their Ashdown 4x10 struggled with the Geezer head; a Markbass 1x15 found it a breeze. My second (and last) attempt at trying out Ashdown cabs and being disappointed with the result;

Amusingly the amp head that PMT Romford have 'set up' for folk to try out with their bass selection is actually a DG M900, which IMHO has a better dirt than the Geezer and a great clean tone, is a quarter the size and weight and delivers 35% more power output. I won't be trading mine in just yet...

I f you look at the rear  it's for connecting multiple amps without getting earth problems (something like that ) so if you don't need that yes get a ABM600

16 hours ago, Al Krow said:

I`ve found the ABM410s to be a bit "boomy" and lack definition, so have had the port on mine blocked off, and put speaker-wadding in the cab. It now performs exactly like I want it to - their 610s & 810s, both of which I understand are sealed cabs. Now I have a tight, focused sound, and can add in the low end I want.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/04/2018 at 12:34, Lozz196 said:

I`ve found the ABM410s to be a bit "boomy" and lack definition, so have had the port on mine blocked off, and put speaker-wadding in the cab. It now performs exactly like I want it to - their 610s & 810s, both of which I understand are sealed cabs. Now I have a tight, focused sound, and can add in the low end I want.

Carefull or the HPF police will be making a visit!!! 😂

I once tried out the ABM 1x15 which was a bit honky so tried out the ‘shelf ported’ Klystron Neo 1x15 - Cleaner, weightier bottom end. More even tone right up to the glassy top end and surprisingly fast so I made a purchase... 

D5BC4086-0619-4B70-8A80-67B40FAAD1AA.jpeg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, VAMPYRE 5 said:

Carefull or the HPF police will be making a visit!!! 😂

I once tried out the ABM 1x15 which was a bit honky so tried out the ‘shelf ported’ Klystron Neo 1x15 - Cleaner, weightier bottom end. More even tone right up to the glassy top end and surprisingly fast so I made a purchase... 

D5BC4086-0619-4B70-8A80-67B40FAAD1AA.jpeg

Haha - it seems like you could use a good Thumpinating! :D

• Haha 1

On 14/04/2018 at 19:58, Al Krow said:

Take-aways for me:

I tried it at the LBGS and thought it was crap. An ABM with a cheap and somewhat weedy fuzz. You'd get a better deal getting a decent fuzz pedal. 

I have nothing against Ashdown, but £1400 for that was having a laugh.

I've always thought of them as massive tone suckers...  Every time I've tried them whether it be in store or rehearsal rooms, I've always found that no matter how I've EQ'd or what pedals run in front of it, they've always made everything sound 'smooth'.  I almost didn't buy a EBMM Sterling5 because of trying through an ashdown amp.  Took it suspecting the amp was the problem, plugged into my TC head and there was the tone!

I tried out the Geezer Doom head today at Ashdown HQ, and it was amazing. It was that sound that you know will just fit perfectly in the mix - tight, focused, and with a great presence. The gain isn`t gain so much, it`s more that you don`t notice it when it`s applied but once switched off you go "oh, that was what it was doing". For anyone thinking/hoping they`re getting a distortion pedal in with their amp they`ll be disappointed, that`s not what it does, it just adds in rich harmonics to the tone. But for me it was an awesome amp, if it wasn`t that it`s very much like the ABM600, which I already have, I`d get one of these in an instant.

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

... if it wasn`t that it`s very much like the ABM600, which I already have, I`d get one of these in an instant.

But Lozz isn't that the key point why folk aren't getting the Geezer Doom: it's basically a dressed up ABM600 costing (and weighing) a lot more? And if you need additional pre amp colour or a bit of grit to add ballast to your tone, there are a ton of great pedals available (e.g. dare I say in your case the PDDI)?